KastKing Braid for spincast reels

Started by saltystick, May 06, 2018, 02:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltystick

A couple of years ago before surgery I had severe carpal tunnel syndrome and couldn't hold a spinning reel for more than 20 minutes. Since much of my fishing is with a light action rod and small lures, I started using a spincast reel as a trade off along with my usual baitcast reels, using my right hand to turn the reel handle.

Even after surgery and full recovery, spincasting is still one of the reels I take along. But one big disadvantage is that I had to change line once a month due to line memory (even with Trilene XL).
So last year I decided to give KK 8#/2#diam. braid a try. Man that line cast light lures like no tomorrow! I'm talking 1/32 oz jigs with soft plastic lures making it weigh a bit more than 1/6. No more line foul ups inside the bell, plus hook sets from a long distance by just swinging the rod slowly to the side once the strike (well transmitted) is felt.

I just put some 10# test on a spinning reel and I'm impressed. Far cheaper than the usual braid brands but that not as important as line quality and no-hassle casting. Of course I always use a fluorocarbon leader with any braid for better lure performance (IMO).