Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm gonna buy a kayak.  (Read 7929 times)

kidd

• Ultimate Basser
I'm gonna buy a kayak.
« on: June 23, 2012, 06:45:39 AM »

But I need help with what to look for. This will be for small lakes, ponds, and streams with none of them having any significant wind or waves. The only thing I know for sure I want is to be able to stand and fish in it but what else do I look for?

TheLastRodBender

• Bass Kickin and Lip Rippin
  • Check His Thumbs
    • My Facebook Page
Re: I'm gonna buy a kayak.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 07:00:57 AM »

But I need help with what to look for. This will be for small lakes, ponds, and streams with none of them having any significant wind or waves. The only thing I know for sure I want is to be able to stand and fish in it but what else do I look for?

I've been shopping quite a bit of shopping as i'm in the market to buy one myself.  (would have had it earlier had uncle sam not decided he needed more money  ~rant) The one i've got my eye on is the Potomac Tidewater 10'.   It's got some great qualities about it, and i can play with it. 

As far as standing up, i was planning on buying the outriggers you can put on it in order to give you more balance.

TNDiver

• Life Member
  • Too many hobbies, too little time!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 09:18:33 AM »

I was looking into kayaks as well.  I really liked the Wavewalk, other than the price. 

http://www.wavewalk.com/

I ended up buying a canoe cheap off craigslist because I have a family with two small kids I can take out.  I plan to rig it with a homemade outrigger with PVC pipe so I can stand with more stability. I can stand, but if I had to really set a hook, I don't think I would stay dry!
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

Scott F

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »

If you want a fishing kayak and one you can stand up on, get one that was designed to do both. The Jackson Coosa
http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/kayak-fishing/coosa/

sport188

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 07:38:34 AM »

If you want a fishing kayak and one you can stand up on, get one that was designed to do both. The Jackson Coosa
http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/kayak-fishing/coosa/

I have been thinking about this one, looks like it would be perfect for me.

Now all it takes is money......... :'(

TNDiver

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 11:44:30 AM »

Yeah the costs are unbelievable when I can  easily purchase a jon boat around here for the same amount!  Kind of makes it difficult to justify the purchase, at least new.  THere aren't many kayaks for sale around these parts.

BenFishing

• Largemouth
  • New to MD, but fishing everywhere I can!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 08:44:38 AM »

The cheapest sit-on fishing kayak I've found, that comes with extras, is the Field & Stream Eagle Talon...around $450.  Not sure about hooking some outriggers on it, but shouldn't be too hard.  They sell them at Dick's.  Other than that, Craigslist....not just your local Craigslist, but all the ones you'd be willing to drive to as well, if you found a great deal.
Yes, that is a gator in my profile picture, but I was trying to catch a bass, so it counts!
One 3ft long, 10 pound "Largemouth" for me.

zim

• Smallmouth
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 01:41:34 PM »

if you're planning on standing you might want to find a SOT with flat (not molded) footwells
 I'm working on making a set of outriggers using foam body boards (boogie board)
 if my design works out I'll post up some instructions/ ideas

TNDiver

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »

I was thinking of making an outrigger for my canoe out of sealed PVC pipe.  I don't think it would be too difficult

TheLastRodBender

• Check His Thumbs
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 05:34:44 AM »

I was thinking of making an outrigger for my canoe out of sealed PVC pipe.  I don't think it would be too difficult

i've considered the same thing when i purchase mine (hopefully) in the not too distant future, but i know i'd also be fishing the shenendoah, where at times you have a very small crease that you can get the boat through in the rapids/rocks, so whatever i make would have to be easily removed in the event the water got tight.

TNDiver

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 12:59:57 PM »

i've considered the same thing when i purchase mine (hopefully) in the not too distant future, but i know i'd also be fishing the shenendoah, where at times you have a very small crease that you can get the boat through in the rapids/rocks, so whatever i make would have to be easily removed in the event the water got tight.

You need it hinged so you can put it vertical and lock it in.  As long as it doesn't hit tree branches, etc

bassincali

• Smallmouth
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »

instead of going through all the mods you might want to try a pontoon float tube they have stand up models i have and its great i have a trolling motor and lots of other cool stuff check this out http://bass-n-tubes.com/gallery2/v/rigging/

Baldybarton

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
I'm gonna buy a kayak.
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »

I am looking at one of these
http://www.freedomhawkkayaks.com/

BenFishing

• Largemouth
  • New to MD, but fishing everywhere I can!
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 02:13:16 PM »

I'd say put them on hinges, with a pin to lock them in place.  When you get to thinner waters, pull the pin and fold them up, till you're out of the thin spot.  Obviously, keep the pin on a leash, and make it so you can lock them in the up position as well.
Yes, that is a gator in my profile picture, but I was trying to catch a bass, so it counts!
One 3ft long, 10 pound "Largemouth" for me.

kidd

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 05:00:24 PM »

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of ascend brand kayaks that bps sells?  I may be rethinking this and going to a pond prowler or something similar as my ten year old has begun to show interest so I'd need two seats.

TheLastRodBender

• Check His Thumbs
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 08:56:25 PM »

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of ascend brand kayaks that bps sells?  I may be rethinking this and going to a pond prowler or something similar as my ten year old has begun to show interest so I'd need two seats.

When i look at the little bass buggy/pond prowlers, they all look like they offer the same basic things.   Probably have VERY minor differences, unlike a kayak where options can make the difference. 

These things look really cool though, i've thought a lot about getting one, but since i have an Exporer, i'd need to trailer it, and dont know if that's what i'd want to do...  Plus i have a few spots i like to hit that aren't exactly road accessible so i would need to carry any watercraft in that i would use.   

kidd

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 02:59:45 PM »

That's a good point. Some of spots I'd like to fish aren't accessible by vehicle and I'm not sure my boy will be interested after a trip or two in the scorching sun.

bunchabull

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 06:02:34 PM »

Hobie Mirage Pro Angler  ~shade

kidd

• Ultimate Basser
Re: Re: I'm gonna buy a kayak.
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »

Hobie Mirage Pro Angler  ~shade
That helps none.

bunchabull

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 06:44:52 AM »

Sorry Kidd, I did not think we were allowed to refer to an outside site or link. Since I'm new I did not want to get banned after my very first post  PoPo

Anyway, I am researching kayaks also and mentinoned the Hobie due to the following:

The new lightweight, more compact, Pro Angler 12 is the most versatile fishing boat we’ve ever designed.

This 12-foot boat sports a 500-pound weight capacity and is packed full of “must have” features that kayak anglers demand. From lakes to rivers to open ocean, this boat has no boundaries — stand and fish with incredible stability, securely store six rods (four horizontally, two vertically), and access your tackle with ease.

Integrated dual-steering controls for left or right-handed accessibility while under way. Vantage seating provides ultimate comfort and adjustability in a lightweight, easily removable form, along with Boa® system lumbar support technology. The “Lowrance Ready” installation system makes adding a fishfinder a breeze. Powered by our patented MirageDrive® with Turbo Fins, the Mirage Pro Angler 12 has got the giddy-up! Looking for an affordable, durable, lightweight, ultra-stable, “built-for-anglers” personal watercraft?

Specifications

Length: 12' / 3.66 m
 Fitted Hull Weight: 98 lbs / 44.4 kg
 Fully Rigged Weight: 120 lbs / 54.4 kg
 Width: 36" / 0.91 m
 Capacity: 500 lbs / 227 kg
 Hull Construction: Rotomolded Polyethylene

Features

MirageDrive with Turbo Fins
 Vantage Seating
 Under Seat Tackle Storage
 Large Rectangular Hatch with Pivoting Tackle Management System
 Lowrance® Ready; Optional Adapter Available for Other Fishfinder Models
 Retractable Rudder System
 Horizontal Storage for Four Rods
 Replaceable Mounting Boards
 Large Front Hatch with Removable Liner
 Anchor Trolley System Ready
 Front & Rear Carrying Handles
 Livewell Ready Cargo Area

Options

Livewell
 Plug-in Cart
 Aluminum Trailex Trailer
 eVolve™ Electric Motor

I hope that helps a little more.  ;PEP)

TheLastRodBender

• Check His Thumbs
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 08:09:43 AM »

Sorry Kidd, I did not think we were allowed to refer to an outside site or link. Since I'm new I did not want to get banned after my very first post  PoPo

Anyway, I am researching kayaks also and mentinoned the Hobie due to the following:

The new lightweight, more compact, Pro Angler 12 is the most versatile fishing boat we’ve ever designed.

This 12-foot boat sports a 500-pound weight capacity and is packed full of “must have” features that kayak anglers demand. From lakes to rivers to open ocean, this boat has no boundaries — stand and fish with incredible stability, securely store six rods (four horizontally, two vertically), and access your tackle with ease.

Integrated dual-steering controls for left or right-handed accessibility while under way. Vantage seating provides ultimate comfort and adjustability in a lightweight, easily removable form, along with Boa® system lumbar support technology. The “Lowrance Ready” installation system makes adding a fishfinder a breeze. Powered by our patented MirageDrive® with Turbo Fins, the Mirage Pro Angler 12 has got the giddy-up! Looking for an affordable, durable, lightweight, ultra-stable, “built-for-anglers” personal watercraft?

Specifications

Length: 12' / 3.66 m
 Fitted Hull Weight: 98 lbs / 44.4 kg
 Fully Rigged Weight: 120 lbs / 54.4 kg
 Width: 36" / 0.91 m
 Capacity: 500 lbs / 227 kg
 Hull Construction: Rotomolded Polyethylene

Features

MirageDrive with Turbo Fins
 Vantage Seating
 Under Seat Tackle Storage
 Large Rectangular Hatch with Pivoting Tackle Management System
 Lowrance® Ready; Optional Adapter Available for Other Fishfinder Models
 Retractable Rudder System
 Horizontal Storage for Four Rods
 Replaceable Mounting Boards
 Large Front Hatch with Removable Liner
 Anchor Trolley System Ready
 Front & Rear Carrying Handles
 Livewell Ready Cargo Area

Options

Livewell
 Plug-in Cart
 Aluminum Trailex Trailer
 eVolve™ Electric Motor

I hope that helps a little more.  ;PEP)

Thank you! We really appreciate the respecting of the rules! (no sarcasm).   

That thing is wicked... I know if i had that type of money i'd get it.   Looks like you could fish bass tourneys with that thing!  Too bad I dont have that kind of 'expendable income.'

TNDiver

• Life Member
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 06:06:20 PM »

I remember reading there were some issues with the paddles on those, but maybe they fixed the problem.

Kidd, that is why I got a lightweight canoe.  Found one for sale locally for $500 with life jackets and paddles.  I have two kids and thought the family could spend time canoeing as well or take it out fishing in some low areas as well.  Plus I saw it as a way to stay fit.  The one I got is only ~80 lbs.  I can lift it and put it on top of my car by myself, although it is a bit of a struggle.  The only problem is it is hard to stand in.  It can be done, but it is not the most stable.  I can practice my inner Karate Kid on it!

kidd

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 06:13:05 PM »

My Dad always had a canoe growing up. Lots of fond memories in that thing. :D. I ended up getting a Field and Stream Eagle Talon. It's on the lower end of the price spectrum but I think it'll do what I want it to. Maiden voyage at 4 am tomorrow!

TheLastRodBender

• Check His Thumbs
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 06:17:55 PM »

My Dad always had a canoe growing up. Lots of fond memories in that thing. :D. I ended up getting a Field and Stream Eagle Talon. It's on the lower end of the price spectrum but I think it'll do what I want it to. Maiden voyage at 4 am tomorrow!

VERY NICE!  You gotta post picks in the "show us your rig" thread so we can all gawk at it  :shocking:

TNDiver

• Life Member
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2012, 07:22:10 PM »

Good luck and remember your life jacket!  Get ready to add to your lure collection when you can get close to lure magnets like overhanging trees, etc  ;D

I am about due to head out again and get some more!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 35 queries.