TRAILER AXLE AND BRAKE HELP....MY NEW PHONE AS OF 3/23/2010

Started by Lyn O. Dyer, January 26, 2006, 10:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyn O. Dyer

Hi everybody, My name is Lyn O. Dyer. I'm the Warranty Supervisor for UFP makers of Trailer Buddy Products. We manufacture axles and brake components for most of the boat trailer mfgs in the country including Skeeter, EZ Loader, Champion,Triton, Stratos,Shoreander, and many many more. I have worked in the boating industry for 25 years as a Service Manager , Parts Manager, Certified Technician, Rigger and just about anything esle to do with boats. Im here to help you with your axle and brake problems. I can generally diagnose the problem for you in 5 minutes on the phone. lI will try to get on here a couple of times a day to answer your questions, but if you need some help right away feel free to call me at 619-922-7260  or email is ....I will NOT sell you anything, Im here for teachincal advise only....Lyn...PS Thanks for the warm welcome....
Lyn O. Dyer
www.ufpnet.com

nlareau

Nice to have you here and thank you for your offer of support.
The early bird may get the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

supplyguy

T1A

Thanks for the assistance..I will be calling shortly to get some help with my POS '98 MFI trailer(by Triton at the time)..Would really like to get the brakes working again but the were sticking and getting wicked hot...Thanks again for your assistance

Lipripper

Lyn thanks again for you offer to help out our members who have boats and trailers  ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Lyn O. Dyer

Triton1la.....If both brakes are heating up, you'll need to troubleshoot the actuator up front first, as it pushes the fluid to both sides at the same time...here's the link to our owners manual....http://ufpnet.com/PDF/A60-70Maint.PDF.........Read page 19 to learn how to do the "swirl test", this will let you know if there is a problem with the master cylinder....If it 's pushing fluid, it's doing it job and you'll need to inspect the calipers...Call me and we can discuss in more detail, Lyn. 800-854-1905 ext 107...
Lyn O. Dyer
www.ufpnet.com

T1A

OK..will do...I have a buddy who is a mechanic and when he bled the brakes the fluid seened to be coming out fine then he diagonsed a caliper problem.  Since we couldn't find UFP products locally we found one at auto psrts place that crossed over.  Its only one side the heats up...will call when I can to discuss...A huge thanks for your assistance ~beer~

scwildbill

Hey Lyn!!!.... Welcome to the UB!!!..... You prolly don't remember me but you were a lifesaver when I had one of my axles fail on my 2001 Triton!!!.... It was a bad weld that was missed on inspection(It happens). You personally assisted me in getting a whole new axle and rims shipped here to my home and then had my trailer and boat towed to a local shop and repaired locally with not one cent out of my pocket!.... Keep up the great work you do there and look forward to seeing your posts!!! ~beer~
Proud Team Member of the Palmetto Posse

scwildbill

Oh that reminds me..... I have a new 05 tr21x now and it has oil bath hubs... One of the little clear caps sticks out farther than the other three... Is this a problem??? Been that way since brand new..... Also, I do alot of local and long distance travelling with the boat(pictured below) and I used to carry a spare hub complete with grease and bearings for my old boat should something happen while on the road.....Can I do this with oil bath hubs?  How do I go about getting another oil bath hub for emergency roadside repair and is this something that can even be done along the roadside??...I like to be prepared when travelling...
Proud Team Member of the Palmetto Posse

MotherNature

Welcome to the site Lyn, glad you could make it here and glad that I got talk with you. I am looking forward to reading what you have to say about trailers and some of the different questions that I am sure you will be asked.

Just as a side note, I think it would be easier for Lyn if you posted new questions in a new thread that way he will be able to find them and questions won't get lost inside of chit chat... Just a suggestion... not a demand.

Laurie

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

spetro

Hey UB folk....ol' Lyn here has helped me so much in the past.........This guy is a wizard....He has helped me like no other service rep has ever......and I mean it.  Welcome to www.ultimatebass.com.  Lyn O. Dyer ~c~ ~c~

Kal-Kevin

Welcome Lyn O. Dyer

I'm glad you decided to join us!  ~c~

I know there will be a lot of question on trailers for you to answer, as I for one have a couple that I need your advice on.

Now off to start a new thread! See Laurie  ;D

silversalmon

That is outstanding, thanks for offering up them services, that is really  8) of ya ~gator

Hey, do this person a favor, start a new topic, so they are easy to find, no need to have to hunt down threads after offerin up this kind of service ;)

United States Air Force 1994-present

topcat

Hi Lyn.....welcome to the best board on the net.....bar none....glad you are here......this is a great place to be..... and a  great group of people to be around.......

Topcat

Lyn O. Dyer

Quote from: triton1a on January 26, 2006, 02:17:21 PM
OK..will do...I have a buddy who is a mechanic and when he bled the brakes the fluid seened to be coming out fine then he diagonsed a caliper problem.  Since we couldn't find UFP products locally we found one at auto psrts place that crossed over.  Its only one side the heats up...will call when I can to discuss...A huge thanks for your assistance ~beer~
Triton1a, Good job....Im pretty sure you have our older disc brake setup, the DB42 ...This is a 1 bolt mount caliper and when you install it , the bolt needs to have Loctite applied and torque the caliper baolt to 17 ft lbs...also, make sure the the retaing wire between the spring clips is installed proprerly, if you don't do this, the retainer wire make vibrate out and you wll have more problems.....
Lyn O. Dyer
www.ufpnet.com

Lyn O. Dyer

Quote from: scwildbill on January 26, 2006, 06:10:07 PM
Oh that reminds me..... I have a new 05 tr21x now and it has oil bath hubs... One of the little clear caps sticks out farther than the other three... Is this a problem??? Been that way since brand new..... Also, I do alot of local and long distance travelling with the boat(pictured below) and I used to carry a spare hub complete with grease and bearings for my old boat should something happen while on the road.....Can I do this with oil bath hubs?  How do I go about getting another oil bath hub for emergency roadside repair and is this something that can even be done along the roadside??...I like to be prepared when travelling...
scwildbill, That clear cap is basically a piston and if its protruding out when the hub is cool,it may have been slightly over filled at the plant, this will not cause any problems, but if you like , you can remove the fill plug in hub and spalsh a little bit out, but keep the level of the oil at the 1st or 2nd thread at the bottom of the fill hole and apply some red hi temp silicone sealant to the fill plug threads. It is imperative to make sure the cavity is totally filled with oil, if not, water will displace the air in the hub when it is submerged and you will get  milky looking oil in the cap. Call me at 800-854-1905 ext 107 to discuss further, Lyn.
Lyn O. Dyer
www.ufpnet.com

Lyn O. Dyer

Quote from: triton1a on January 26, 2006, 02:17:21 PM
Triton1a, I hope those replacment pads you got were non-metallic, ...Metallic pads will eat your rotors in no time....
Lyn O. Dyer
www.ufpnet.com

KingFish

Looking for help!

1. I own a Triton Tr186 and a few week ago I noticed oil on the rims of the trailer (single axle).  Originally I thought that it was because the cap screw wasn't tight, so I tightened it.  The hubs appeared to be full.  Last weekend I went to a local lake, about 15 miles one way, fished all day and returned home. No problems on the return trip.  Once I got home I noticed that both hubs were extremely hot, I didn't check any other part of the wheel.  My first thought was that the hubs needed oil.  Checked oil and it was good. Before I get back on the road is there anything else I need to check?

2.  The hubs are filled with what appears to be a graphite type oil.  Can I add a 50 wt motor oil to that if needed?  And is there a trick to making sure there isn't any air in the hub?

Any and all help welcome.

Lyn O. Dyer

Kingfish, If the hubs get hot , the piston will protrude out when the oil expands. The piston should go back in when the oil cools down.....Were the hot hubs on the brake axle?..if soo...check to see if you pulled the safety cable or see why the brakes were sticking.....also, yes, you need to use a straight 50wt motor oil in the system....give me to discuss further at 800-854-1905 ext 107, Lyn.
Lyn O. Dyer
www.ufpnet.com

KingFish

Lyn O. Dyer

Hey guys, Im back, sorry Ive been away for a bit...lost my pass word...I will vist the site each morning to answer any questions you may have concerning axles and brake components. ....SO ASK AWAY.....
Lyn O. Dyer
www.ufpnet.com

Mike Cork

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

T1A

Welcome back Lyn!!!  ~beer~  missed ya!  BTW..I just bought a new Stratos..do you provide the trailers to Stratos?  Just wondering for future reference so I can ask ya  ;)

Lyn O. Dyer

UFP does not supply the trailer, but we do supply the axles and brake components to Stratos-Javelin, they actually build the trailers....Did you get the owners manuals with it?...If not, you can get them off our website....ufpnet.com.....The Stratos axles and brake components are mfgd at our Tennesse plant, if you have warranty concerns or questions,and are east of the Rockies, call Dennis there at 800-835-9211 ext.16, but you can always call me too no matter what state your in.....Lyn
Lyn O. Dyer
www.ufpnet.com

Lyn O. Dyer

by the way...if anybody needs to email me, my email addy ....
Lyn O. Dyer
www.ufpnet.com