Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interview with Andrew Upshaw  (Read 954 times)

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
Interview with Andrew Upshaw
« on: August 23, 2012, 10:22:22 AM »

The Collegiate birth to the classic last year, and just missed the elite cut this year in the opens.

This is short notice as I'll call him in at noon CST. If you got a question post it here
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

ssj3goten

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
Re: Interview with Andrew Upshaw
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 11:04:22 AM »

Nothing too specific but a few questions about the growth off college fishing and any insight in how it might grow in the future. Scholoships or NCAA events and would if the anglers like that idea or keep the format the same?

BassAssassign

• Fisher Person
  • I dream about bass... Problem?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 04:39:54 PM »

What is the best way to endorse myself to colleges, to maybe get a scholarship?

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »

What is the best way to endorse myself to colleges, to maybe get a scholarship?

Andrew said that colleges are starting to recruit anglers. He didn't give any specifics on how to go about applying but he did say that Dallas Baptist University started a scholarship program and the numbers behind advertising costs for a University suggest that this might be a great avenue for them to explore.

Cork's Reel Service

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 03:05:49 PM »

UB: Did you like the college Formats or would you like to see it change somehow?

Andrew: Both FLW and B.A.S.S. had their great advantages and both weaknesses. FLW gave winning moneys directly to the schools and then it was difficult to get those funds to the anglers to help with fishing. However they are changing that some in the future. BASS just wasn't as much money, but again that's changing with big donations from different BASS sponsors. Both are getting better with the winning purses.

Boats were always an issue in BASS but if you didn't have one on the FLW side they made it happen. So when fishing FLW everyone was in a bass boat but on the BASS side you'd see us out there in johnboats with kickers. It's hard for a college angler to have his own boat as such an early start in their career. Sure many do, but many don't as well and FLW was better for those.

FLW worked much harder for the angler to make sure they got to fish and had the tools to fish, but BASS gave you a shot at the classic. So both have their appeal to college fishing and why most colleges that do have a team fish both.

UB: Do you think Shcolarships ar in the future for bass anglers?

Andrew: They already are, Dallas Baptist University has a scholarship program and is recuiting it. I think you'll see a lot more colleges get involved in the way of scholarships. If you look at it this way. It cost 20,000 to put a billboard up on a predominant highway, a school could offer that to a student and then get exposure on ESPN, the Outdoor Channel, all kinds of venues that will draw students to their schools. That's the short of it, I could break it out better but I do think we'll see more scholarships.[/b]

Cork's Reel Service
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 23 queries.