Has anyone bought a nice reel from eBay?

Started by bigb201, October 09, 2012, 03:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigb201

Hi guys. I just pulled the trigger on a left hand abu Garcia mgx. Got it on eBay for 279$. Thought 70$ off was a great deal. I got the shipping info and it said its shipping from Malaysia. It was an eBay top seller with over 4,000 sales this year. It's just making me nervous that it's out of country. Anyone have any experience? I have been burned by eBay before. Hope I didn't just have a dumb attack

Please do not use Outdoor Hub Mobile, Please find and use TapaTalk for your phone

bigjim5589

I've bought a few things that have been shipped from Canada & China, and have not had a major problem as yet, but not a reel. However, nothing was anywhere close to that amount. I did have one item get over looked & not shipped right away by a China seller, but they quickly fixed that once I contacted them & the item arrived without further delay.

Shipping from overseas can be a bit slow, but if they provide a tracking number, check it often to see where the package may be as it proceeds. Last item I bought that was shipped from China went to Chicago, then to MD. No idea why, but it did get here.

Hope it gets to you safely!
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

duke13372

Yeah, I've bought a lot of things off ebay.  Some I've got good deals, some I've broke even after Pro Reel got done, and others lets not talk about.  But to be honest I've purchased brand new reels with warranties that have had issues.  So I have no qualms about buying off ebay if the price is right.  I finally got hold of another BP Qualifier Tournament at the going price yesterday off ebay.  I've had a problem getting a bargain since they seem to be in high demand.  Too similar to the Revo I suppose.  On ebay just look at their feedback scores, return policy, and again don't pay retail price.  If you do, why take a chance, just buy local.  I've seen products run up to a new MSRP price.  I'm not quite sure why people do this.  I suppose it's the thrill of the winning bid.

West6550

I bought a Lew's Speed Spool for $75 a while back, but it was only a few states away off eBay, had no problems what so ever.

bigb201

Thanks guys. This was a buy it now price. The seller was a top rated seller with thousands of positive feedback. I just got sketched out when the tracking number showed Malaysia.

Please do not use Outdoor Hub Mobile, Please find and use TapaTalk for your phone

duke13372

Whew, yes I would be concerned too.  There are many fraudulent transactions from over seas.  I stay away from those.  However, with many of these reels made in Asia it's probably legit.  Of course there can be shipping issues and customs charges when you purchase overseas.  It might even be some kind of clone.  Let us know how it turns out.

Highlander

I purchased a Diawa dwave heavy combo from eBay but it was not from overseas. Everything went smooth for me.
If his feedback is decent you probably don't have anything to worry about. It will probably take a couple weeks to get here.
Rather be fishing than working! :)

gregk9

Yep, got a Revo Toro 60 HS, Revo Toro 50 HS,
Curado 300 E and a Curado 300 EJ off e-bay.

Vudak

From what I've seen, Ebay takes good care of its buyers.  That seller has an obligation to describe his item accurately (and if he has that much positive feedback, he probably has and you don't need to worry).  The only thing I would be concerned with buying from Asia would be that he might be selling a clone as another has said.

When it arrives, I would take it in to your local Bass Pro or other shop and compare it to the local version.  Bring a camera.  If it is different, photo those differences.  If it wasn't as described, file a complaint w/ E-Bay.

bigb201

Thanks for the info. I hope this all turns out well. Is there a big problem with clone reels coming from that part of the world?

duke13372

Honestly I haven't heard of this hitting the fishing industry.  However; just today, I heard about bad "air bags" coming into the country.  You hear about the purses and athletic shoes but I suppose it could be anything.  You can take just about anything and use inferior parts inside and in reality it's no longer that name brand product.  Most of these reels are taylored to specific specs from the manufacturer.  Many look very similar on the outside.  It could be an easy item to counterfeit don't you think? 

bigjim5589

There are many US Ebay sellers that won't ship to Malaysia, because their mail system there is not very good & theft is a big problem. However, that holds true for a few other countries as well.

A few years back there was a problem with counterfeit Power Pro braided line. The labels even looked identical to the real thing & I believe they were coming out of the Malaysia area.

It would not be difficult to clone some reels since some are being made there anyway & sell them as name brands, but it's likely they would not be the same quality.   
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

DavidFathali

I actually use the fake power pro. I love that stuff. Its the lower lb test that had the issues. The 30lb and up I've had no issues with

DavidFathali

I always find good deals.  While I was posting I just won this one

Its always good to have some time to kill on eBay when hunting the items. You can find some sweet deals on reels.

I bought this just to have a decent setup for when some friends come over or if i don't want to use my good setups while hiking in the woods

bigjim5589

David, I agree with you about finding good deals! I've bought several rods & reels from Ebay sellers and only had a problem one time, and that was with damage via the USPS. A rod, in a shipping tube arrived broken in half. It was obvious the damage occurred in transit & I refused the delivery so it went back to the shipper who had insured the package. He sent another rod & it arrived without issue. However, all of such purchases have been shipped from the US.

DavidFathali

Quote from: bigjim5589 on October 10, 2012, 01:40:12 PM
David, I agree with you about finding good deals! I've bought several rods & reels from Ebay sellers and only had a problem one time, and that was with damage via the USPS. A rod, in a shipping tube arrived broken in half. It was obvious the damage occurred in transit & I refused the delivery so it went back to the shipper who had insured the package. He sent another rod & it arrived without issue. However, all of such purchases have been shipped from the US.

Jim, I had one issue were a reel was not what the guy advertised but still a nice reel so we cut the cost in half. Its how I got my accurist for 10 bucks! 

You will always find some good deals man! I check daily.

I'm personally not a high end guy. I'd rather have 15 medium setups than 2 excellent setups

cward1234

citica 200E and thousands of dollars worth of customizing crap for my car (irrelevant, i know) back in my teen age days. Ebay is great just look at feedbacks and where the products are being shipped from.

duke13372

The great thing is that if you get them for a good price and you don't like them you can turn around and sell them again.  Sure you take a hit but not as bad as paying full retail.  I have purchased name brands including Quantum, Shimano, Okuma, and on thru to the Bass Pro house models.  Some I didn't like the brakes, some the quality, and some just how they fit my hand.  I am absolutely amazed at how many of the bass pro reels that I have kept.  The Pro Qualifiers can be purchased around the $50 mark and they're hard to beat for the money.  I've sold Ardent and Okuma reels on ebay recently and others picked them up at a bargain.  I wasn't hurt too bad because I too had picked them up at a bargain price and with some with a rebate.  It's a tough way to learn whether you like a reel but I guarantee that those few minutes that you played with it in the store didn't give you the full effect of ownership.  It's tough to gamble with those $150 plus reels with no discounted rates. If you like the first one off ebay then you can purchase more.

T-bass

I was looking at the same reals and just about to buy one. Then i hit a bad streak and im trying to sell my boat to get caught up so no need for a reel.

Everything seemed legit on the ones i was looking at in the $270 range. Good luck!

DavidFathali

I personally love bass pro reels. I think the quality is great and they have an awesome warranty.

I paid 54.99 for my exc10 which I love everything about it

BassAssassign

Quote from: bigb201 on October 09, 2012, 03:12:34 PM
Hi guys. I just pulled the trigger on a left hand abu Garcia mgx. Got it on eBay for 279$. Thought 70$ off was a great deal. I got the shipping info and it said its shipping from Malaysia. It was an eBay top seller with over 4,000 sales this year. It's just making me nervous that it's out of country. Anyone have any experience? I have been burned by eBay before. Hope I didn't just have a dumb attack
Everything I own came off ebay (best deals). Dont worry bout it, but from Mayalsia it might take some time.

bigb201

UPDATE
just checked the tracking number on the DHL website and it says the reel was picked up from the store. it took two days from the shipment notification to pick up. I'm not going to have any nails by the time this thing gets to my door. LOL

DonM

I bought a BP reel a few weeks ago off Ebay.  It is just fine.  However, it was shipped from Springfield, Mo.  I suspect the seller has a deal with BP to sell off their discontinued models, but I don't know that for sure.
DonM

bigb201

Update. The tracking number says its in Ohio. I'm starting to get excited

DavidFathali

Quote from: bigb201 on October 14, 2012, 03:58:47 PM
Update. The tracking number says its in Ohio. I'm starting to get excited

That's what kills me about tracking numbers. The night before the big day will always be the worst!