First of the Prevantitive Maintence

Started by AB, March 16, 2006, 09:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AB

Here we go...Just a brief rundown of good ideas to do and take care of.  These are just general guidelines that I have my techs follow, but are most definitely superceded by ANY manufacturers suggestions.

Of course, at each oil change check for any fluid leaks, fluid levels and condition, visually inspect for worn suspension bushings and for tire wear.  Inspect exhuast system for any leaks/damage/needed repairs.

Every 15,000 miles change the air and fuel filter.

AB

Every 30,000 miles you should clean the fuel injectors, the air induction system, and change the transmission fluid and filter.  The exception is that if you tow, the fluid and filter should be changed once per year, regardless of mileage.

Every 3 yrs, flush the brake fluid and engine coolant.  If it is a GM with the Dexcool, all the more important to do before it gets old.  Most Dexcool doesn't make it to the 5yr/150K mile mark.

More to come....

weirdlittleman

your so right a little money now or a hole lot later

ed
"The past cannot be changed, but the future is still in your power!"
"Don't let today's disappointments cast a shadow on tomorrow's dreams!"

Mike Cork

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

complac3ncy

I replaced my air filter with a K&N FIPK Air intake kit as well as my exhaust with a magnaflow dual exhaust. I installed both myself and the installation wasn't that bad and the instructions were good. The filter was about $250 and the exhaust about $450 but I've noticed a very slight increase in gas mileage as well as better pickup, especially when I am towing. And hey, the low rumble sound that comes out makes me feel tougher at times.  ~bb

Right on with the transmission flush and filter every year. I usually at this point have them change the fuel filter as well. The mechanics that I know have really noticed alot of gunked up fuel injectors and cylinders lately. I live in the midwest where you can purchase gas with 10% ethanol added and while it's susposed to burn cleaner, the guys i've talked to at my local shop say to not use it. I've since quit using it and just put 87 octane in and I actually get better gas mileage anyways.

Swede

Here is my schedule of preventive maintenance checks and the times involved with my F-150:

Every 4000 miles - bottle of AMSOIL's Performance Improver (P.i.) is added to 20 gallons of gas at fill-up.  What this essentially does is cleans carbon build-up from my truck's engine and keeps it running in peak condition. 

Every 30,000 miles - I change out my fuel and air filters - and from the advice of AB - I may need to lower these miles a bit as he suggests 15K.

Every 10 months - I change oil in my truck at estimated 15-20K miles - AMSOIL is good for 25K or 1 Yr whichever comes first.

Every Month - tire pressure checked - leads to better fuel economy.

Every 30,000 miles - coolant flush.

Every 60,000 miles - transmission flush and service.  AMSOIL's ATF good for 100K under normal driving.

The above schedule has worked for me - and now I will jinx myself by saying I have had no problems.  lo
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small.
Rascal Flatts