1985 champion restoration

Started by hardware40, April 14, 2013, 08:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardware40

i decided to do new  carpet and refinish why boat this year but when i got into it i notice  rotton wood in battery bay and some soft spots in my transom so i figured i mite as well do it right  trying to post pics but they are to large trying to make smaller

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]

Mike Cork

This will be cool to watch come together. If you need help with the photo's just let me know. I use a downloaded program called photo filtre (yes it's spelled like that) just do a quick search and it's super easy.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

hardware40

well figured it out some what here are pics of the top removed and rotten transom

hardware40

sorry missed pic of transom

hardware40

and now rebuilt transome i did do some over kill here but im running a 175 with a jack plate so i wanted to be really  stiff also all bolts are now in side hull i raised wash well 3 inches so that i could hide bolts and make a cross stiffener plate  next paint photos and yes this is prefitted photo it took me 2 days to glass all pieces in now its done

hardware40

here are a few pics of paint and flake these are before i have re sanded and layed 3 more heavy coats  of emron elite also bottom section is black so if i do scratch bottom it is easyily fixed not so much in flake .it took 12 ounces of silver and 20 ounces of red for total coverage i changed guns for red it worked alot better also red strip is sprayed on it is a candy red it matched red flake the best it took 3 hours just to lay out stripe.now it will sit for a week or so while i fix top lots of screw holes and rotton would at back to fixeven holes were gauges were mounted this is were i am at when i start on top next week i will post more pics

hardware40

PICS BEFORE FINAL SANDING AND POLISHING

Camden

man thats gonna be one sweet looking Champion ~c~

West6550

Mike Cork

Thank You for the pictorial tour. That is going to be one fine boat ~c~ ~c~

I wish I had your shop :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

hardware40

well hull is done cut and polished back on trailer also the start of stage 2

hardware40

well been 2 weeks finally have top sprayed and fixed still have to resand and clear but so far so good

hardware40

and with color

hardware40

not sure on carpet color. what you guys thinks red .black light grey or dark gray im kind of on fence with red and dark grey

MommaWrench

Take it from a gal's opinion..... Dont do red.  Ur gonna have too much red on the boat imo.    Offset ur red boat with a dark gray or even black carpet.  I wouldnt go lighter because over time the carpet will fade some from being in the sun.   

Just my opinion.   

Nice restoration btw!
Tammy

hardware40

my wife feels the same way a dark grey would look good .i like the red but after seening the top painted ya its a
bit much

hardware40

just wen this after noon and scuffed the top and put 3 more heavey coats of emro have to wait till wensday and cut it and polish next doors and motor

West6550

The red carpet does look cool but just a quick Google and most boats with red its faded.. I guess it just fades fast. I would go black or grey.

LgMouthGambler

Wow! That thing is real sweet!

~cf
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

hardware40

well put top on today so i can paint doors and motorhave to take of again to run wiring but thought you might like to see pic of it together

West6550

Beautiful color! Great job so far man!

caddyjoe77

Good gravy that is AWESOME!!  Great job!
BeerMe

royjulius

Hat's off to ya. That is a lot of love for a great boat. I have a 2000 187 and just love it. I've had it for 8 years.

hardware40

been really busy with boat have re wired the boat re painted motor and now reassembling when im done i will post lost of pics . i spent 2 nights just candy coating all my gauges and polishing dash loos good wont be long now