Southern Bourbon

Started by Drake691, May 17, 2013, 09:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake691

My parents are on there way to Hilton Head SC and wanted to know if I wanted anything. Does anyone know of a good bourbon? None of this JD crap we get up here
I have lots of great personality traits. Or as my doctor calls them, symptoms.

Craig314

Get some of this and you cant go wrong, either 12 or 18 year old is fine right stuff.

http://liquor.com/brands/elijah-craig/
A bad day fishin beats a good day workin!!!! or as my daddy says when all else fails use dynamite!

West6550

LgMouthGambler

Just tell them to bring you back some White Lightning, lol.

~cf
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

JMGullo

OutdoorFrontiers

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 21, 2013, 04:18:34 AM
Just tell them to bring you back some White Lightning, lol.

~cf

I had some last week that was "Slap Yo Momma" good!  A friend gave me a taste, and dang, that was smooth!  Now I have to find out where he got it from...   ~shhh

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

Bigwrench

Ain't nothing can compare to good ole Tennessee White Lightening !
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Creel Limit Zero

Oh, cherry bombs made in White Lightening, good stuff.   ;D 

Wizard

Kentucky Bourbon is hard to beat. Wild Turkey has a father/son team of master distillers named James and Eddie Russell. Wild Turkey recently put out a new bourbon called Russell's Reserve. I got mine from Eddie Russell and had him sign the bottle for me. Smooth sipping bourbon.

bassindude

Hard to beat Old Granddad.  Love the 100 Proof lol
Jim ><///'>><///'>

caddyjoe77

Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve as well as buffalo trace, which for the money is about as great tasting bourbon as you can get.  Oh yea, Blantons is pretty nice too if you want a smoky woody flavor. 

I like me some bourbon  lo
BeerMe

CraigP83

Is Canadian Whiskey popular with any of you southern gentlemen? I like bourbon but always find myself going with Crown Royal or Windsor when buying whiskey. Easier drinking than bourbon in my opinion.

OutdoorFrontiers

I found a bourbon that I like even MORE than Woodford Reserve!  It was the last blend devised by Lincoln Henderson, the same guy that developed Woodford Reserve before he died...

Angel's Envy is a blend of six different bourbons, aged for a minimum of 5 years in oak casks, then finished for another 6 months in port wine casks.  It's incredibly smooth, without the bourbon burn so often associated with many bourbons.  Sip it neat and it just goes down nicely, warming you up as you go with a slightly smoky flavor.  Then for something different, when it's about half gone, add ONE ice cube, swish it around a little bit and sip on it again.  It tastes totally different!

Give Angle's Envy a try if you want to sip on a wonderful drink!

Steve

caddyjoe77

Quote from: OutdoorFrontiers on March 21, 2014, 04:37:17 PM
I found a bourbon that I like even MORE than Woodford Reserve!  It was the last blend devised by Lincoln Henderson, the same guy that developed Woodford Reserve before he died...

Angel's Envy is a blend of six different bourbons, aged for a minimum of 5 years in oak casks, then finished for another 6 months in port wine casks.  It's incredibly smooth, without the bourbon burn so often associated with many bourbons.  Sip it neat and it just goes down nicely, warming you up as you go with a slightly smoky flavor.  Then for something different, when it's about half gone, add ONE ice cube, swish it around a little bit and sip on it again.  It tastes totally different!

Steve

Thanks steve, i will have to give this a shot if I can find it. 
BeerMe

Wizard

I have one I like called Russell's Reserve. Got it from Eddie Russell, the Master Distiller at---------. Him and his dad came up with it and it is s-m-o-o-t-h.

Down4ttown

Quote from: OutdoorFrontiers on March 21, 2014, 04:37:17 PM

Steve
Had this and it is good. Pappy Van Winkle is the best bourbon but also high end. I prefer some johnnies blue myself:)

MCS

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on March 21, 2014, 12:08:32 PM
Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve as well as buffalo trace, which for the money is about as great tasting bourbon as you can get.  Oh yea, Blantons is pretty nice too if you want a smoky woody flavor. 

I like me some bourbon  lo

Some good picks right there sir! I had blantons before, just sampled some woodford and have to say I like that very much as well.
Romans 1:16    2 Corinthians 5:17     3 John 1:4
"I'm sorry. I'm not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything." Mike Ditka
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living." John Wayne

OutdoorFrontiers

Well then, see if you can find that Angel's Envy in your area.  I let three of my friends sample some last night and they all said it was great, some of the best they've ever had.  And these guys know their bourbon!

What amazed them was I had them drink half of it neat, and they loved the flavor.  Then I added a little bit of ice to their glasses and had them try it again.  They all agreed that the flavor changed and like me, couldn't say which way they liked it better...   lo

Steve

K2Racing

Went from Crown to Woodford Reserve. Got a Blanton's for anniversary from my wife and its fantastic. Give 4 Roses a try. Just had my first bottle. Single malt. Excellent

nats

Quote from: OutdoorFrontiers on June 08, 2014, 09:42:01 AM
Well then, see if you can find that Angel's Envy in your area.  I let three of my friends sample some last night and they all said it was great, some of the best they've ever had.  And these guys know their bourbon!

What amazed them was I had them drink half of it neat, and they loved the flavor.  Then I added a little bit of ice to their glasses and had them try it again.  They all agreed that the flavor changed and like me, couldn't say which way they liked it better...   lo

Steve  I keep 7 or 8 small bacth bourbons in my home bar,If you never drink wine you might not like the angel envy,i believe its aged in port wine barrels and for me it had a stong port after taste,  But my son loved it

nats

Quote from: K2Racing on June 08, 2014, 05:30:20 PM
Went from Crown to Woodford Reserve. Got a Blanton's for anniversary from my wife and its fantastic. Give 4 Roses a try. Just had my first bottle. Single malt. Excellent
YES,the Blanton for me is like that rich dessert that you wouldn't want every day,but when your in that mood its heaven.  and the 4 roses is my new favorite in the great value category, get some Town branch and between the 3 you wil have most taste moods covered

MCS

4 roses is good stuff, they use a good bit of rye in their mash but the secret is in their yeast strains so they say.

Best whiskey I had there, and I did sample a few....ten in total...was Michtners 10yr
Whistle pig was not that impressive, did have a nice rye spicy bite.

To me buffalo trace makes the best stuff. I've had a lot of their low end everyday drinkers, benchmark, wellers etc. and blanton's and the std trace blend as well. It's all better than the rest in class. Those of you that like or wish to try pappy but don't wanna fork over the deed to the ranch, Wellers is it. It's the same mash recipe as pappy but age in a different area and temp of the rick house. It's the wheat in the mash, no rye, which accounts for the exceptional smoothness.
"I'm sorry. I'm not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything." Mike Ditka
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living." John Wayne

31airborne

A few more options to consider:
- Jim Beam's 12 yr old single cask and small batch (very smooth, superb finish and flavor)
- Woodford Double Oaked (the second oaking comes from cognac casks and makes for a very special finish)
- COL Taylor single barrel (a little peppery but still smooth straight-up)

To be clear, a bourbon can come only from KY.  Anything else is whiskey (altho' still made from corn).  Lotsa places out there (NY, VA, MO to mention a few) are marketing what they're calling bourbons.  I'm sure they taste great but they're not, by definition, a true bourbon.  That said, try these amazing whiskies:

- Dickel Single Cask (Tullahoma, TN) (about the smoothest corn likker I've had)
- Belle Meade Oak/Sherry aged (Nashville, TN) (the combination of oak and sherry flavors give this whiskey a unique flavor and finish)

Airborne likes his corn likker and life is too short to drink cheap booze.

MCS

Nice picks Airborne. I didn't get a chance to have any of the beam 12 but I had the 10yr Knob creek reserve, 7 Bakers and Bookers and they are all very good, but then again I'd be lying if I didn't say I haven't met a whiskey I didn't like. I prefer the knob creek the best. Beam puts out some good products, Makers included. Evan Williams too. They make a nice affordable single barrel. check this out.

Top of the line beam

cojab

I haven't tried that high dollar Beam but for an affordable good Bourbon, I do like their Black Label. Much smoother than standard Beam.
TTK has spoken.