Southern Bourbon

Started by Drake691, May 17, 2013, 09:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

31airborne

MCS - back at ya, dood.  Some nice picks on your slate.  Have had the Evan 12 yr old single barrel.  It rox.  Also love the Four Roses single barrel and small batch.  Have not had the high end Beam but will put it on the to-do list.

Wathen is another bourbon I shoulda put on the list.

flowerjohn

You guys are killin me here!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Down4ttown

Tried Angel's Envy, Maker's 46, Woodfords, Four Roses, Gentleman, and Pappy Van Winkle are my favorites. Will be good with any of those.

Now if you wanna walk on the scotch side holler at me

flowerjohn

Quote from: Down4ttown on April 27, 2016, 06:58:01 PM
Tried Angel's Envy, Maker's 46, Woodfords, Four Roses, Gentleman, and Pappy Van Winkle are my favorites. Will be good with any of those.

On the scotch side Down you ever get the Balvenie down your way?

MCS

Quote from: Down4ttown on April 27, 2016, 06:58:01 PM

I got a few 100yr leases at laphroaig. Islay all the way ;)
Romans 1:16    2 Corinthians 5:17     3 John 1:4
"I'm sorry. I'm not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything." Mike Ditka
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living." John Wayne

MCS

Quote from: 31airborne on April 27, 2016, 06:00:47 PM
MCS - back at ya, dood.  Some nice picks on your slate.  Have had the Evan 12 yr old single barrel.  It rox.  Also love the Four Roses single barrel and small batch.  Have not had the high end Beam but will put it on the to-do list.

Wathen is another bourbon I shoulda put on the list.

I just finished up some old tub
you only can get it here it is special because it was the original label. See before they bottled their whiskey folks would bring their own jugs to the distillery and they called it old tub. The Noes kept sole right when the sold the company to fourtune(before it got sold to suntory). The whiskey, It's nothing special, 4 yr old bonded 100 proof. Another one I had was their bonded, it's a 2 yr old. The bond laws interesting too. Done back in the depression I believe to ensure quality ingredients.

I got to go there for work, civil punch list on a expansion to the facility. LMG got all kinds of pics that day. Id be glad to share more with you about specifics in pm and pics too.

I'll tell you the guys at beam love their job, even though the Japanese company Suntory owns it, it is still American made. Great folks work at their Boston facility. The way they treated us, I am a fan for life.
"I'm sorry. I'm not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything." Mike Ditka
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living." John Wayne

MCS

Quote from: flowerjohn on April 27, 2016, 07:18:54 PM

I believe I've seen it before. U want some FJ?

flowerjohn

Never had a fine bourbon. Makers and Jim beam for me.  They go down real nice!!

MCS

Quote from: flowerjohn on April 27, 2016, 10:07:29 PM
Never had a fine bourbon. Makers and Jim beam for me.  They go down real nice!!

They ain't bad John. And trust me I don't drink fine bourbons by the bottle. Cruises, tastings at distilleries etc. the place we went to eat in downtown Louisville sold samples which were .5 oz so they were half price. The whistle pig  was 9 bucks for a sample. At beam I tasted the most expensive stuff lol knob creek and bakers.
I am a 10-20 a bottle....30-50 on a splurge. These days and as much as I drink I'd be broke lol

flowerjohn

Quote from: MCS on April 27, 2016, 10:26:09 PM
They ain't bad John. And trust me I don't drink fine bourbons by the bottle. Cruises, tastings at distilleries etc. the place we went to eat in downtown Louisville sold samples which were .5 oz so they were half price. The whistle pig  was 9 bucks for a sample. At beam I tasted the most expensive stuff lol knob creek and bakers.
I am a 10-20 a bottle....30-50 on a splurge. These days and as much as I drink I'd be broke lol

That sounds like a great way to try them. I would imagine Kentucky and Tennessee to be the best places to sample fine southern whiskeys. I mentioned that Balvenie since I drink it on occasion and I enjoy it. It's not too smokey. Most up here drink the rye whiskeys. Wisers, Forty Creek etc... If you ever find a maple whiskey down your way from Canada give it a try.  Cheers. J.

MCS

Quote from: flowerjohn on April 28, 2016, 07:10:05 AM
That sounds like a great way to try them. I would imagine Kentucky and Tennessee to be the best places to sample fine southern whiskeys. I mentioned that Balvenie since I drink it on occasion and I enjoy it. It's not too smokey. Most up here drink the rye whiskeys. Wisers, Forty Creek etc... If you ever find a maple whiskey down your way from Canada give it a try.  Cheers. J.

I like the smokey scotch. Laphroaig and Lagavulin......But enjoy the not so smokey, a good one to try that you might like is Dalwhinnie. Will do, I haven't had any canadian whisky in a while and maple sounds good. You know Knob Creek actually makes a maple bourbon.....A guy down here swears by Rich and Rare and the Rich and Rare Reserve. Says it is smoooth stuff. I have yet to try it, but I might.

flowerjohn

Quote from: MCS on April 28, 2016, 07:17:30 AM
I like the smokey scotch. Laphroaig and Lagavulin......But enjoy the not so smokey, a good one to try that you might like is Dalwhinnie. Will do, I haven't had any canadian whisky in a while and maple sounds good. You know Knob Creek actually makes a maple bourbon.....A guy down here swears by Rich and Rare and the Rich and Rare Reserve. Says it is smoooth stuff. I have yet to try it, but I might.

This is all making me want to take the day off and crack a bottle. I like that Dalwhinnie. Smooth. Give that maple a try I'm sure it's good bourbon based. We can get through a bottle of that maple juice on the ice pretty quick and it can make you want to return things you never even stole!  Lol!!

MCS

Quote from: flowerjohn on April 28, 2016, 07:24:45 AM
This is all making me want to take the day off and crack a bottle. I like that Dalwhinnie. Smooth. Give that maple a try I'm sure it's good bourbon based. We can get through a bottle of that maple juice on the ice pretty quick and it can make you want to return things you never even stole!  Lol!!

I am headed to the liquor store on the way home.....Maple Juice here weeeeeee come!!!!  ~beer~

flowerjohn

Quote from: MCS on April 28, 2016, 07:37:16 AM
I am headed to the liquor store on the way home.....Maple Juice here weeeeeee come!!!!  ~beer~

Let me know how you like it!!!

MCS

Down4ttown

Quote from: flowerjohn on April 27, 2016, 07:18:54 PM
Never had it. But it's hard to find a bad scotch as most know what they are doing due to years of practice.

flowerjohn

Quote from: Down4ttown on April 28, 2016, 01:22:53 PM
Never had it. But it's hard to find a bad scotch as most know what they are doing due to years of practice.

For sure! Here is another one you may have tried and I will pick some up around the holidays because if I drank too much of it I would be broke. Not too heavy on the wood.

31airborne

I've never developed the taste for scotch save for one - Balvenie Doublewood 12.  Oak cask and sherry cask aged.  Very smooooooooooov.

flowerjohn

Quote from: 31airborne on April 28, 2016, 02:31:45 PM
I've never developed the taste for scotch save for one - Balvenie Doublewood 12.  Oak cask and sherry cask aged.  Very smooooooooooov.

Airborne I'm a big fan and when I could get it up here I liked the ten year old a lot too. We can only get the twelve that you mention and the fourteen year old now. Damn communists!!!

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: flowerjohn on April 28, 2016, 02:25:09 PM

For sure! Here is another one you may have tried and I will pick some up around the holidays because if I drank too much of it I would be broke. Not too heavy on the wood.

Drink too much of that and it will affect your "wood".  ~roflmao
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

flowerjohn

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on April 28, 2016, 03:03:20 PM
Drink too much of that and it will affect your "wood".  ~roflmao

Thank God it still only takes a gust of wind!!! Lol

bassadict69

Blanton's for me...

Would love to try some Pappy, but have yet to find myself somewhere that serves it. A bottle is priced a little out of my budget!

flowerjohn

Quote from: bassadict69 on April 28, 2016, 03:22:58 PM
Blanton's for me...

Would love to try some Pappy, but have yet to find myself somewhere that serves it. A bottle is priced a little out of my budget!

I seen some of that at the store today and took a picture. Real nice bottle. I will get me one on the weekend. Looks real nice!

flowerjohn

That's a horse race there!

bassadict69

Never been much of a fine spirits drinker, always drinking Beam & Makers, and when I wanted to splurge, I would spring for some Crown or some Makers 46. I still like the 46, but I do not ever see how I drank Crown since a buddy turned me onto the Blanton's.