When in doubt ask those that are in the know............

Started by Gramps, October 21, 2013, 07:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gramps

I recently stumbled across a 16 foot ProCraft with a Suzuki 60 h.p. outboard motor, and trailer for sale. I had been looking for a boat for bass fish'n for a while and this seemed like a deal from heaven.

Like any great deals there is always a catch. A young couple is selling it. It came with the house that they purchased. The house was previously owned by a older gentle that contracted cancer and died. The relatives didn't want the boat and let it go with the house. It had been sitting covered up with a tarp (well some of the time anyway) since 1997 un used. The couple don't have any of the original paperwork on this boat. I was told by the DMV all I need to register it is a bill of sale from this couple and proof that the boat was apart of their home purchase.

My question is can anyone help me identify the year and model of this boat. I believe this boat is possibly a 1985 and I believe it may be a model 1650. I can't find a identification plate or label on this boat. Does anyone know where they may have placed it...?

Thanks gang.... ~c~

Mike Cork

Look on the transom. Back in those years they had several options but the hull has to have permanent numbers. They often were glassed into the transom on the outside of the boat. Check around the motor mounts or tie downs. They'll look like they were stamped into the gel coat.

Can you get a photo of the boat?

Suzuki making outboards is a question mark for me that I don't know the answer too. I just don't remember when they started? It had to be real close to that time frame though.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

fishinfranklin

A lot of boats it is on the hull just under the top cap on the transom on the starboard side of the boat. Like Mike said sometimes it is really hard to see being in the gel coat. Some will look like it has rectangle sanded off the hull. You can wipe chalk over the area to read the numbers and letters of the hull id.

Gramps

Thanks guys I am going to see if these people are going to be around this weekend so I can take a second look at it. Hopefully I will locate this data tag... :)

I am going to try posting a picture I have of it. Hopefully this will work......

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]

fishinfranklin

Yes that does to look to be a mid-80's model. Good luck on getting it!!!

Gramps

Good evening, Mike Cory and Fishinfranklin.

Well I made the couple with the ProCraft a offer yesterday and low and behold they accepted it. Thanks guys. I am now the proud owner of that little 16 footer... ;D

Gramps

fishinfranklin

Congrats on the boat!!! Cant wait to see some pictures of it.

Mike Cork

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

:-* Don't know if you tried this yet but take your boats registration number ( VT 9648 H) to the local office that registers your water craft.  They should have the vin number on file from when the boat was previous registered.

Congrats on getting the ProCraft  ~c~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Gramps

Hi, Donald.

I contacted the people over at registration with the registration number. They will only give out information about the boat and owner in person to the registered owner of the boat. I know it doesn't make any sense what so ever.......

Hi, Mike.

The couple I  am buying this boat from will not be back over to the house until this coming Sunday. So this Sunday I will be there. Besides the info on the boat I need to get the trailer identification number also. I am going to need to get a temporary plate to get it home. Then it will go in the boat garage so I can begin work on it. The garage is heated... :)

Gramps

Hi, Gang... :)

I found the identification tag on the right rear of the transom. Actually the boat, motor, and trailer are all bought in 1982. The ProCraft boat turns out to be model 1660 Pro V. I brought the Hummingbird fish finder, lights, fore and aft seats, two gas tanks, pfd's, and anchors home yesterday. I need to go pick up a temporary plate to get the boat, motor, and trailer home Wednesday. This is my latest project... ~sweat

Now this isn't a bad $500.00 find... ~c~

Creel Limit Zero

Gramps

Hey, gang... :)

Anyone have a good web site for deck carpeting. Mine is pretty shabby and dirty. I figure I'd replace the set... :help: I have found some nice thick comfy folding driver and passenger seat. I may as well be comfy while out on the water.... ~c~

fishinfranklin

Bass pro shops sells good carpet at a fair price, I used some lowes sells once and it only held up about two years before it was worn thru. I just bought a 12'x20' roll of red marine grade carpet and I got a deal on it. Hope there will be enough left after doing the Pro Craft to do my Basswave with it also.
Another thing I will say is be sure you use the Correct glue (3M contact adhesive ) to install the carpet. My Pro Craft had brand new carpet the day I picked it up, by the time I got home after three hours in the rain all of the carpet was loose and about to blow off the decks. He had used the glue for installing linoleum floor covering. BTW where is the pictures ?? We love to see before and after pics!!
You may want to ask your local carpet store if they will get it for you. I am lucky and have a carpet store right next door that ordered mine for me.

mygreenihc

Gramps,  How is the boat coming?  Any new news?

Brad