Rod Issue

Started by Mr1ply, November 01, 2013, 09:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr1ply

So during transport one of the hooks on my other rod scratched my new BC rod right about mid way between the 1st and 2nd eye from the handle. Its not deep at all but noticeable. Do I have anything to worry about? And is there anything I can do to minimize the risk of snapping at the point?

this weekend I will be busting out the sewing machine and making rod covers for transport.

Mike Cork

I hook scratch shouldn't hurt anything structural at all. If it scratched back and forth and worked a groove in it, then I might wonder.

You'll be fine. If you can post a photo we can assure you more. Most of my rods have several hook scratches.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Mr1ply

ill snap a shot when i get home.

Pacific NW Ron

I would tend to agree with Mike.  Generally it's just a scratch on the finish. 
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Pferox

To feel better, a dab of clear nail polish over the scratch will help seal the blank again.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

The Rooster

That may seal it to help keep water out but if the scratch is deep enough to severe any graphite fibers, there's no fixing those. Some epoxy will also seal it and "may" add strength again, but I do not know for sure on that. I do know it will certainly ugly it up when you slather on the goo though.