looking for some reports for anything public with in 2 hours of wichita

Started by jesse1378, December 29, 2013, 01:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesse1378

i need to go fishing. my wife is off next week and we got highs of 40s coming all week it looks like. i want to fish. i dont care if i fish from the bank or my boat. this is my first winter bass fishing. i want to fish for bass i dont care if they are largemouth, smallmouth, or spots. i dont care if they are monsters or a couple dozen 12 inchers. i just want to fish. i am trying to find some new places to fish as well. im looking to get information on the lakes, water temp, anything biting. i dont want your spots, i dont want your lures, im happy with a lake name, some water temps if you got them, and if they are biting. i have never fished for smallmouth but i have read enough to have an idea of what to use. and i would probably have the same stuff tied on no mater what place is recomended. if all else fails ill go fish my normal lake but its only about 8ft deep at its deepest so im a little afraid its going to be frozen. ok enough rambling, lets get to the reports.

ring fry

Good Luck!!  I went out to Lake Fort Scott Saturday for a couple of hours.  Water temp was 38*.  I tried jigging and spooning deep brush piles to no avail.  Coves and shallow end were still froze over.  I would think Wolf Creek (Coffey County) would be your best bet if the wind isn't blowing.

SE Kansas grass grower
GO JAYHAWKS
2008 NCAA Basketball Champions

Pro Reel

sooner lake Oklahoma power plant lake. 2 hours South of Wichita. Best winter bass fishing around. Everything in and around town is cold and would be a very tough bite if you caught any at all, unless you want to fish for trout.

jesse1378

i am really thinking about sooner. i can take the wife's car to get better gas mileage. any ide where i could find a map of the lake to get an idea how deep the discharge is?

Pro Reel

If you can't find info about sooner online, i would check with zieners bass pro shop on S washington, they have a lot of maps in stock of local and Oklahoma lakes. If it's available, they can get it for you. The guys working there are the best source of local info around also. stop in and tell them kevin sent you.

jesse1378

thanks guys i didnt go. i pinched something in my back and havent been able to do anything all week. zieners is about a mile from my house. i walked therr brfore i got my truck lol. looking at the weather it looks like next week is in the 40s all week to include sat. if that holds true i will go on sat. i will try for largemouth and hybrids. i feel like i have the right stuff just hope the fish are willing. if i get to go i will make a post.

jesse1378

it is looking like this sunday i will be going to sooner. 3 days of 50* weather. im not taking the boat just the bank. my buddy is gonna go with me. im going to try and find some largemouth but i am bringing stuff for hybrids. i hope to have a report early next week.