Buying used reels

Started by Ytown25, November 26, 2013, 12:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ytown25

hey all I need help selecting a higher end used reel. My buddy told me to try and find something like a used curado e and I'm looking around and I'm just unsure of all the different models. I'm hoping to get something for around 100$ or so. what reels should I be looking for and at what price?

LgMouthGambler

Its gonna be hard to find an E series Curado for that price. You may want to look for a CiticaE, which is still a really good reel, and you could upgrade the crank bearing later on. If you really want a new one, contact Ron at Beat the Big Box Boys....

<===over there

...he will hook you up with a new reel for the best price, and the best model available in that range. Just another option for you.

~cf
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Pacific NW Ron

Like LgMouthGambler says, Why buy a used when you can get a new one with a warranty sent to you for around your budget.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Pro Reel

If you are looking for a Curado E, then you just about have to buy used to get one because they discontinued the Curado E and renamed the new version of it the Chronarch E. You can buy the same reel as a Curado E by buying the Chronarch E which is a white reel now instead of green and has black handles and spools, other than that they are the same reel. The new price of the Chronarch E is $199 and can be found for around $179 from some dealers.
The Curado E was available as an E5 which has the 5.1 gear ratio or an E7 which has the 7.1 gear ratio. The new version of now called the Chronarch E is available as an E5, an E6 , or an E 7, which means they have now added a mid range 6.1 ratio.
If you need to stay around $100, it's going to be tought to find a good used curado E for that price. I see them here and on other forums in the far sale section occasionally for an average of $120 to $140. On ebay, I have seen nice used Curado E reels sell for more than the new cost of a Chronarch E. I guess a lot folks prefer the green color or don't understand that the Chronarch is the same reel, just not the same color.
As LM sugested, you can look for a Citica E which is almost the same reel as the Curado E was. The only difference between a citica E and a Curado E was that the curado had one more bearing and the curado spool was built with a slightly lighter aluminum alloy. The citica is a great reel and can be found used for around $70
Buying a used reel though is always an iffy thing. Make sure the seller has a good reputation and is being clear about the condition and also willing to make it right if your not happy. A reel can look good in pictures but still have worn parts inside. I once bought a used E50 curado from a reel tech on another site. This guy is a well respected reel mechanic on that other site. He listed the reel as in perfect mechanical condition. I got it and immediatly could feel a slight grind to the gears. Some folks don't mind that but i had to replace the gears to make it like new. I contacted him and he denied it and tried to say I was just trying to get one over on him. I thought I could trust that he would have known the difference between perfect condition verus a one that has grindy gears.

Ytown25

thanks guys so with my budget the citica is prob my best bet and the reviews look nice. should I just get the new g series or try an find the older e series? My buddy says the older e series is better. Just wondering. thanks for the detailed responses.

LgMouthGambler

If you are going to buy a Citica, get the E.

~cf
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Ytown25

ok that's what I'm set on. So Ron has some new ones stashed?

LgMouthGambler

No. Ron has some new reels that are of current models that he can give you a deal on. If Ron had any new in box E series reels he would be in a lot of trouble with me.  ;)

~cf

Pro Reel

You guys won't believe this, but just 2 weeks ago i was in my local gander mt. store talking to the reel counter guy and he told me they still had 2 new Citica E reels in the bottom of the cabinet that never sold during clearance last year. They sold them to me for $69.00 each.

Ytown25

Ytown25

I ended up buying a chronarch 200e citica g and a phenix recon rod and a carrot stix rod for 290

rockchalk06

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on November 26, 2013, 07:38:18 PM
No. Ron has some new reels that are of current models that he can give you a deal on. If Ron had any new in box E series reels he would be in a lot of trouble with me.  ;)

~cf

You and me both. lol

If your still dead set on a Curado E in the future, shop around. I found one for 100 shipped new and my 2nd one cost me around 160. They pop up all the time.