Tatula Type-R trial

Started by LgMouthGambler, November 26, 2013, 07:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobsquatch13

Pic of your setup looks great! I am trying to decide on that myself for mine. Have not been able to even use it yet, not sure if would prefer the 94mm or that 102mm if I do. Also I like the Daiwa red knob cork knobs a lot - will they fit on that handle, if you know? Nice rig!

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Pferox on December 03, 2013, 11:37:37 AM
That reel looks sweet, brother, like the rod to.

Diawa's idea about opening up the guide for casting is spot on, that's one reason why most casting surf rods use conventional reels, no resistance from the level wind.

I put 10lb on a couple of my inshore reels here, still leery about it though, always afraid of those 40lb drum hittin' it.

The 10# for YoZuri actually has a stronger breaking strength, I think around 15-17#s. I had a Snakehead wrap me around a branch under the water, it held there for a while but I didn't give up, and neither did the line. I managed to fight it out and land the fish, approx. 8#s. I figure if you put the branch and the teeth that these fish have, it held up pretty damn good. I wouldn't worry too much about drums, but there is only one way to find out.

~cf
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: bobsquatch13 on December 03, 2013, 11:45:33 AM
Pic of your setup looks great! I am trying to decide on that myself for mine. Have not been able to even use it yet, not sure if would prefer the 94mm or that 102mm if I do. Also I like the Daiwa red knob cork knobs a lot - will they fit on that handle, if you know? Nice rig!

The Daiwa knobs will not fit the Hawg Handles, but the Shimano ones will. The cork knobs from Hawg Tech are actually really high quality, and if you use the cork sealer you are good to go. Mike had a few handles on his pitching rigs that he had sealed the cork, and they felt really good. I have a weird thing about cork, just the way it feels, but the sealer took that away. Its a great product though, and you really cant beat the price.

~cf
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

LgMouthGambler

Using the reel more and more, I do notice it to be a little on the bulky side. I do prefer the small profile of the Shimano 50's, and even the size of my Lews Super Duty. The Type-R is just a weird shape, but it is in no way uncomfortable to fish with. There has been a lot of talk about the brake adjustment dial. Some are saying that it sticks out too much, and that they tend to "accidently" move the dial. This dial is not that "easy" to turn, so I just don't see how that is happening unless they are using some kind of "death grip" on the reel. I will say that I like the way the dial sticks out a bit, and here is why. Most reels brake adjustments require you to have to take your hand out of "action" position, and by that I mean turning the reel on its side, or stopping retrieve, or taking a side plate apart. Not on this reel, because I am able to "shift on the fly" with this braking system. I can simply roll my index finger on the dial and move it with a bit of force and compensate for wind with the cast while I am retrieving or just before the next cast.

~cf

Pferox

I like that, I have found myself adjusting my mag reels a lot more than my centrifugal, wonder what I'm going to do with the dual brakes coming in.

I find myself using 12 and 15 lb Bull Buster line more and have downsized from 30 to 20 lb on my heavier reels , it has a lot higher breaking point, so I have a little more confidence in it, too bad 12 is the lightest line they make.

Wonder how this would work as a salty reel.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Pferox on December 05, 2013, 09:50:32 AM
I like that, I have found myself adjusting my mag reels a lot more than my centrifugal, wonder what I'm going to do with the dual brakes coming in.

I find myself using 12 and 15 lb Bull Buster line more and have downsized from 30 to 20 lb on my heavier reels , it has a lot higher breaking point, so I have a little more confidence in it, too bad 12 is the lightest line they make.

Wonder how this would work as a salty reel.

Both the spool bearings in this reel are CR's, so I would imagine it would do OK. You really can use just about any reel that is quality in a salty water, just make sure to properly rinse afterwards.

~cf

LgMouthGambler

Oops! Just pulled the trigger on a T3 Ballistic from TW for $125. Couldn't resist for the price, however, the wife wont let me touch it until Christmas :(

~cf

Fishwhittler

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on December 05, 2013, 11:57:30 AM
Oops! Just pulled the trigger on a T3 Ballistic from TW for $125. Couldn't resist for the price, however, the wife wont let me touch it until Christmas :(

~cf

Man, you're slipping fast.  First a Lew's, then a Tatula Type R (at least that one was excusable), and now a carbon-framed T3 Ballistic.  Times have certainly changed.  PoPo ~roflmao

Hope you like the Ballistic.  I almost picked up a used one off BBC the other day for $90, but I ended up going with a like-new Citica 100D instead.  The T3 was gone by the time I was ready to buy a reel, and anyway the Citica was $20 cheaper.  I still plan on getting a T3B sometime.  It's a really sharp-looking reel, and the Magforce 3D is supposed to be ridiculously good.

Really liking your reports on the Tatula.  Thanks for doing them.  ~c~
"I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."- John 3:3

Champion Custom Rods -

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Fishwhittler on December 05, 2013, 12:08:12 PM
Man, you're slipping fast.  First a Lew's, then a Tatula Type R (at least that one was excusable), and now a carbon-framed T3 Ballistic.  Times have certainly changed.  PoPo ~roflmao

Hope you like the Ballistic.  I almost picked up a used one off BBC the other day for $90, but I ended up going with a like-new Citica 100D instead.  The T3 was gone by the time I was ready to buy a reel, and anyway the Citica was $20 cheaper.  I still plan on getting a T3B sometime.  It's a really sharp-looking reel, and the Magforce 3D is supposed to be ridiculously good.

Really liking your reports on the Tatula.  Thanks for doing them.  ~c~

Thank you. Yeah, Im slipping, lol. The frame was a little iffy for me, but for $125, OK, I will bite. Didn't see too many reviews on it, but what was on TW was 50/50. It is pretty cool looking, I agree there. We shall see how it does. Like I said, the price was right!  ~shhh

~cf

Fishwhittler

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on December 05, 2013, 12:27:21 PM
Thank you. Yeah, Im slipping, lol. The frame was a little iffy for me, but for $125, OK, I will bite. Didn't see too many reviews on it, but what was on TW was 50/50. It is pretty cool looking, I agree there. We shall see how it does. Like I said, the price was right!  ~shhh

~cf

Know what you mean.  Gonna do a report on the T3B as well?

I really hope Daiwa isn't discontinuing the T3/T3B series.  The Tatula is a cool reel, but the T3 is something else altogether.

Speaking of which, I wonder if the T3 wasn't too far ahead of its time.  When it came out there were complaints about the carbon frame, mainly about how it gave a different feel than metal (not about frame flex), and some guys had problems with the line cutting grooves in the front of the reel.  Lately I haven't heard much about either of those problems, and the Chronarch Ci4+ has been getting rave reviews even with a carbon frame.  And, the JDM T3 variants have been very popular on TT.  Could it be that the US market just wasn't quite ready for the T3 when it was released?

Dang it, I'm sitting here reading about you testing a reel and catching 8# snakeheads, and right now it's 17º F outside with a windchill down to 4º F.  Needless to say, the only fishing I'm likely to be doing anytime soon is ice fishing—and I don't ice fish.  To top that off, I just got a reel back from Calfish (you know what that means  >:D), and there's nothing I can do with it until next spring.  :'(

Oh well.  I've already started planning what upgrades and modifications I'll be doing on my new Citica D.  Hawgtech swept handle, carbontex drag, super-tuning, maybe some custom trim, etc...
"I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."- John 3:3

Champion Custom Rods -

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Fishwhittler on December 05, 2013, 01:56:40 PM
Know what you mean.  Gonna do a report on the T3B as well?

I really hope Daiwa isn't discontinuing the T3/T3B series.  The Tatula is a cool reel, but the T3 is something else altogether.

Speaking of which, I wonder if the T3 wasn't too far ahead of its time.  When it came out there were complaints about the carbon frame, mainly about how it gave a different feel than metal (not about frame flex), and some guys had problems with the line cutting grooves in the front of the reel.  Lately I haven't heard much about either of those problems, and the Chronarch Ci4+ has been getting rave reviews even with a carbon frame.  And, the JDM T3 variants have been very popular on TT.  Could it be that the US market just wasn't quite ready for the T3 when it was released?

Dang it, I'm sitting here reading about you testing a reel and catching 8# snakeheads, and right now it's 17º F outside with a windchill down to 4º F.  Needless to say, the only fishing I'm likely to be doing anytime soon is ice fishing—and I don't ice fish.  To top that off, I just got a reel back from Calfish (you know what that means  >:D), and there's nothing I can do with it until next spring.  :'(

Oh well.  I've already started planning what upgrades and modifications I'll be doing on my new Citica D.  Hawgtech swept handle, carbontex drag, super-tuning, maybe some custom trim, etc...

I wont be doing any "heavy" fishing with the T3, so I am not too worried about the frame. They say its Carbon fiber, not carbon composite, so hopefully should be good. As far as the line digging in, it was due to braided line and wrapped line guides. With a regular rod and regular guides there wasn't a problem, but I also think that Daiwa corrected any issues with that anyway. I think that they are going to be discontinuing the T3 series, and yes they were ahead of their time. I have always been intrigued by them, but the price, like I said, was an issue. Will I do my own review of the reel? Possibly. Though this reel has been out for a while and not new like the Tatula, I haven't really seen anything about them from anybody else. Excited I am to get my hands on another Daiwa for under $200 that 1) I know is worth more than that, and 2) Should cost more than that.

Oh, sorry about your weather situation. Hope I can be of good entertainment.  ~beer~

~cf

chadyp

I hate you for doing this, now I have bought a t3 at a great price.

rockchalk06

I got to handle the Tatula (not the TypeR) today at BP. I was very very impressed with how smooth and tight the reel felt.

LgMouthGambler

Took the boat out by myself today, and only brought 2 rigs. Yes, I said 2 rigs. I took my frog rig just in case, but mostly I just wanted to throw the Type-R around. I managed a few fish today, but I didnt break any records. Its really fun fighting 2-3# fish with this rig because its kind of like the equivelent of Ultra Light fishing with a baitcaster with this rig. The 10# line and M power rod really make for a nice little setup for a good fight. I was just drifting in the wind down the C-14, which is a wide intra coastal type canal, and casting around. The water was kind of high, and the wind was pushing about 10mph. I threw everything at them that I had with me in the bag, mostly to see how the reel would cast different baits. T rigged baits were a breeze, only using a 1/16oz bullet weight, this reel easily slung the baits 20-40yds effortlessly. I am still amazed at how this untouched reel throws such light baits with ease. I threw traps, squarebills, and pitched jigs with it too, and it was flawless with its performance. Smooth retrieve for the crankbaits, and again, it just launched these things a country mile. Even with the wind, I had zero issues, and adjustment again is soo easy with this reel. Like I have stated prior, I can adjust the brake dial with just my index finger while on the fly. I made it my mission to get as many baits under my belt that I could today, and I covered the spectrum pretty good. The only thing I really didnt cover was topwater baits, but it really wasnt a good day for that with the conditions.

I cant wait until I finally get my hands on the T3 Ballistic and can do a comparison of the 2 reels. My wife wont give it to me till Christmas, so at least it gives me some more time to play with the Type-R. Overall, still very happy with the reel for the price point that it is intended for. Deffinitly gives my Shimanos a good run for the money. It is very comfortable to use, and quite user friendly to boot when having to toss different baits.

~cf

SenkoGuru

Thanks for taking the time to make a report  LgMouthGambler. It is always great to be able to read a review on a Reel or Rod like this. It really helps us out a lot.

I would rather read what you and/or other UltimateBass members have to say about products than to read TW reviews but here is their review if you or anyone else is interested in it.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwatattyper.html
Megabass Orochi xx Rods / Daiwa Reels / Yamamoto Senko's / V & M /  Gamakatsu

Remember your life vest. It floats, you don't.

LgMouthGambler

Thanks Senko. I was wondering when they were gonna post a review of it. I guess they werent really impressed. For me the better drag star, spool, bearings, and paint job are worth the extra $$.

~cf

bobsquatch13

Worth it to me also, just for the difference in paint job alone. I really like the Type R's appearance but not so much the regular one - just me. Also believe with the 4 bearing knob reel is somewhat smoother too, which I have on now + I think the bearings I put in are better than stock anyway? Agree the paint job, Zaion drag star, spool, better spool bearings make it worth the $50 extra too. Thanks for the reviews also!

SenkoGuru

I'll Take your opinion over theirs, I've seen them miss the mark WAY to many times. It looks like a very good Baitcaster, I'm very happy with lew's but now I may need to try a tatula. Thanks.
Megabass Orochi xx Rods / Daiwa Reels / Yamamoto Senko's / V & M /  Gamakatsu

Remember your life vest. It floats, you don't.

Down4ttown

Quote from: SenkoGuru on December 09, 2013, 02:27:52 PM
I'll Take your opinion over theirs, I've seen them miss the mark WAY to many times. It looks like a very good Baitcaster, I'm very happy with lew's but now I may need to try a tatula. Thanks.

I love my Lew's too BUT I am open to trying new things.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SenkoGuru on December 09, 2013, 02:27:52 PM

The only Lews that I can compare the Tatula to would be the Super Duty, but since they are all the same dimension wise I will give a bit of input on that. The Lews is definitely nicer to palm given the smaller size. Casting wise the Tatula is WAY smoother, again comparing SD. Since they both have Mag brakes I figured it would be a better comparison than say a Lews with dual brakes. The mag brakes on the Daiwa are a lot nicer to operate, and seem to be less finicky. Also, as far as feel goes, the Tatula just feels more "quality" to me. The way it sounds pressing the thumb bar, to when the spool re-engages after turning the handle. I don't know, small things like that just make me feel all warm with a reel. It could be my spoiled ways using Shimano quality for soo long. Not to say the Lews is bad, but I would take a Type-R over a Super Duty any day. That's why my Super Duty got put to use where it truly shines, as a pitching reel.

~cf

Down4ttown

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on December 09, 2013, 03:18:55 PM
The only Lews that I can compare the Tatula to would be the Super Duty, but since they are all the same dimension wise I will give a bit of input on that. The Lews is definitely nicer to palm given the smaller size. Casting wise the Tatula is WAY smoother, again comparing SD. Since they both have Mag brakes I figured it would be a better comparison than say a Lews with dual brakes. The mag brakes on the Daiwa are a lot nicer to operate, and seem to be less finicky. Also, as far as feel goes, the Tatula just feels more "quality" to me. The way it sounds pressing the thumb bar, to when the spool re-engages after turning the handle. I don't know, small things like that just make me feel all warm with a reel. It could be my spoiled ways using Shimano quality for soo long. Not to say the Lews is bad, but I would take a Type-R over a Super Duty any day. That's why my Super Duty got put to use where it truly shines, as a pitching reel.

~cf

Doesn't the Tatula have a higher drag rating though? I think it got rated at 17lbs on TT review. That is why I want it for pitching. I got some Seaguar Smackdown 50lb to try when I get mine in.

Down4ttown

Funny that TT has both the Tatula Type R and Super Duty on the front page right now. Pretty evenly match with two totally different functions.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Down4ttown on December 09, 2013, 03:21:45 PM
Doesn't the Tatula have a higher drag rating though? I think it got rated at 17lbs on TT review. That is why I want it for pitching. I got some Seaguar Smackdown 50lb to try when I get mine in.

It does, but something about the Moving TWS that kind of makes me a little iffy about putting too much stress on it. I don't know, you will have to do the review on that, lol.

It is kind of funny having them 2 on the TT site. Its like they new what I was doing! First I buy the Super Duty, then the Type -R came next. They are stalking me I know it!  :help:

~cf

Down4ttown

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on December 09, 2013, 03:37:10 PM
It does, but something about the Moving TWS that kind of makes me a little iffy about putting too much stress on it. I don't know, you will have to do the review on that, lol.

It is kind of funny having them 2 on the TT site. Its like they new what I was doing! First I buy the Super Duty, then the Type -R came next. They are stalking me I know it!  :help:

~cf

What is next? A Metanium?

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Down4ttown on December 09, 2013, 03:53:52 PM
What is next? A Metanium?

I thought about that, but couldn't reason a $400 price tag for a reel. When the Ci4 Chronarch came out I was gonna drop the hammer on it, until I realized what it was, and then I said to myself "it wont hold up to me" ~bb

~cf