Where oh Where are the Kayak Anglers?

Started by analfisherman, January 18, 2014, 09:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

analfisherman

With Kayak Bassin becoming one of the fastest growing areas of Bass Fishing I couldn't help but notice how few posts are made in this forum section.

Anyone's input on this challenge would be great.

I'm going to post a question or two to see if 'WE' can't get more input here.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

bigjim5589

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

analfisherman

Oh, a Gheenoeholic.  lo

BigMouthBassGuy

I'm a kayak angler. I'll provide some input.

s10me

I have a Pelican that I slowly been adding custom features to make it more fishable. I've had it for 2 years and enjoy small ponds and rivers with it.  I'm about to try and build a pvc pole rack and storage

Tylermsawmiller

I've got a nu-canoe frontier 12 that I don't use nearly enough. I always opt to take the bass boat, but I do really enjoy fishing out of the canoe and the serenity of it.

bigjim5589

QuoteOh, a Gheenohoelic.  lo

Something like that!  lo

I can go pretty much anywhere a yak can go, at least a fishing type yak. I don't do whitewater no matter what I'm in!  ~shade
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

BigMouthBassGuy

Quote from: bigjim5589 on January 18, 2014, 07:59:39 PM
Something like that!  lo

I can go pretty much anywhere a yak can go, at least a fishing type yak. I don't do whitewater no matter what I'm in!  ~shade

I bought a fishing kayak last spring and my fishing partner followed suit. We went down one creek fishing and hit some tiny rapids, he enjoyed it so much so that we spent the rest of the years chasing whitewater. I would say level 0.5 whitewater. lo

I told him year we are getting serious about boating some hawgs from the yaks

analfisherman

Anglers good to hear I'm not alone here.  :)

I do some river fishing but I've found that working the current BACK to the trailer can really be a struggle.  ~sweat
Peddles or not...it's a workout!  lo

I do fish alot of different waters, from ponds to 5000 acres.
Rivers from small to the Mississippi.
Put once in Lake Michigan but it wasn't really what I enjoy.

Got rid of the Bass Boats so still learning to 'down size'  ~roflmao

BigMouthBassGuy

My kayak isn't very fancy at all. Just your basic S.O.T with rod holders and room for tackle and lunch. When we fish rivers we put a truck at the start ramp and a truck at the end ramp. That way we don't have to fight back up the current. If I go alone I'll have my wife drop me off at point A and pick me up at point B.

faygo1979

I have an old town predator.  first year with that and fishing.  Having a blast so far.
Its great on the lakes i go on.

RedTop

I have a Native Manta 12...I've been yak fishing a couple years. I use it for ponds to small lakes. I've caught a lot of fish in it and not being able to fish my 21 foot Ranger all the time I use this a lot.

analfisherman

RedTop nice ride!

Anglers it sounds like there are alot of nice floating fish platforms here.
Thought I said what I use but maybe I put it in one of the other threads I started here.

It was in Kayak Challenges Thread.

Oh, I fish from a PA-14 that is pretty loaded.
I got wind socks, Squid anchors, Trolleys on both sides, 8 ft ParknPole, Black Box, internal Rod storage, 798ciSI and more.
Thinking about a Power Pole mini but still researching.

Mines currently hanging in the garage but will definitly post some pics come spring.

IT'S GREAT TO SEE THE POSTS ANGLERS!

RedTop

Those 2 bottom pics are of Lake Austin...small part of it. The guy in the pic is an Iraq Vet ,  Purple Heart recipient I take fishing some. He and I fish quite a bit together locally....He's a hell of a guy and a pretty dang good fisherman. Always enjoy taking him someplace different tho.

bigb201

Just got my first kayak in the late fall of 2013. it's an ascend 10 ft. sit in type. I had an old town canoe and got annoyed with how unstable it was with two big guys in it. I even built stabilizers for it but going down narrow creeks was too tricky with the side stabilizers.

Ended up getting the Kayak from craigslist for 200$. So far I have only used it to retrieve ducks on the patuxent, but I am looking forward to getting this thing out with my rod in hand.

Anyone have any suggestions on Mods for this thing like motor mounts or ways to make it track better in the water? Thanks

analfisherman

big, welcome to the Yaky world of fishing.  :)

Where you at?
You got open water yet?

If the winter doesn't end soon here I'm putting skis on mine!  lo

Looking forward to hearing your input and your Yaking successes!!!

bigb201

Thanks. Im in maryland and will hopefully be getting out within the next few weeks.

mmancino

Fish out of a Pelican 116 in Central Texas. It's a plain rig but it gets the job done. My second PB was caught out of the kayak on an insanely windy day in 2012 on Stillhouse Hollow/Lampasas river mouth.

Moving up to the Dallas area soon so if anyone's up there give me an idea of some good places to kayak fish that boats don't usually go!

analfisherman

mmancino,
great to hear and see you kayaking!

I'm going to make a statement that I really feel strong about.
Ready.  lo

A kayak is a tool.
A tool I use for fishing.
I have never heard anyone say, " I just got a plain hammer." or " I got a plain jane saw."
or "My drill isn't fancy."

So anglers please don't feel that decking out a kayak is a status symbol or even a neccesity for that matter.
If it makes you a HAPPY ANGLER....it's the greatest tool you will ever spend money on!.

Now I also want to state, "Decking out a kayak for fishing is well....A FLUKING BLAST!!! lo
But my Pelican anchor has helped me become a better fisherman as much as my HB798."
I've had the bassboats and have fished out of many a $40000 bass rig.
But I have enjoyed kayak bassin more than any other craft I've fished from.
And being an addict...I fish alot!  :o :)

I call my Hobie, "Joe's Fishing Platform".
If I had a canoe carved out of a log it would be , " JOE'S FISHING PLATFORM".
Anyone who hasn't had a chance to join the Yaky World of fishing really is losing out.
My first fishing tool was a cane pole. It's a tool I still have and has a special case prominently displayed in my living room!
Ya I guess I'm a Wacky Yaky.  lo

Now to end my thoughts.....
I GOT 5 INCHES OF SNOW LAST NIGHT!

One more snowfall and the skis are definitly going on the kayak!!!!! lo

mmancino

I hear ya, I wasn't undervaluing my kayak hahaha.

That being said, there are some things about it I am not too fond of and would like to upgrade, or get a new rig that already has them, to make it work better for me. For starters, I would like to try a foot drive system of some kind. I find it a little annoying to have to pick up the paddles to move or readjust every few casts, especially when there's a bit, to a lot, of wind  ~xyz

Second thing I would like to try/upgrade to is a kayak designed to be fished standing. I like having the higher elevation when standing which allows me to see subsurface structure a bit better. Not to mention my back and @$$ get sore as hell after a while. Plus, and maybe I just need more practice, I find it a lot easier to pitch and flip standing up.

I'm not too much of what military or law enforcement types call a "gear-queer" so decking it out with all the bells and whistles isn't that important for me. I like having as little as I need because I don't like hauling around a bunch of crap that I have to move to and from the car lol.

Any of the kayak fisherman on here in the Dallas area? I'm moving up there soon and I don't know any of the waters in the area.

LAkayakbass

kayak bass fisherman here

I fish out of a Hobie Outback
Hobie Pro Angler 14 Yellow

Princeton_Man

Been thinkin' about getting a kayak for the smaller fishing holes ever since I saw this video.  lo

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

LAkayakbass

Quote from: Princeton_Man on September 24, 2014, 01:50:05 PM
Been thinkin' about getting a kayak for the smaller fishing holes ever since I saw this video.  lo

;)

that's wild...it would be a challenge to sneak up on a bedding fish in that kayak
Hobie Pro Angler 14 Yellow

Princeton_Man

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

bigjim5589

Very cool! There's a fellow on a fly fishing site I frequent who has something similar. He has two of them & is a guide up in Alaska. I believe he said they're made in WA or Oregon. I don't recall the price, but they weren't cheap. I'll see if I can find his post & video.

Edit: OK, found the videos. It's called a Mokai. http://www.mokai.com/

These video's were made by a fellow named Ard Stetts. Ard lives in Alaska & is a fly fishing guide. Some of the features are custom. The video is Ard & his wife testing their new watercraft.  Ard fishes from a jon boat, but wanted a craft that could get further up the rivers, in more shallow water. These bad boys are powered by a jet rather than a prop so they go in some real skinny water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iex5kmaujqQ