Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How often do you re-tie your line?  (Read 10714 times)

Ranger375

• Ultimate Basser
  • The next timeout has my name written all over it!
How often do you re-tie your line?
« on: July 26, 2004, 05:58:58 PM »

Just curious...how often or under what circumstances do you re-tie your line?
"It Ain't all the things that we don't know that causes all the trouble...it's all the things that we DO know that ain't so!"

MotherNature

• Watching Over You!
  • Admin
  • Takin' Names
    • Lady Legend
Re: How often do you re-tie your line?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 06:44:20 PM »

I am probably the worst one on the board about this. I retie when Mike sets up my equipment  :-[ If I am fishing and I get caught in something that puts a kink in my line I will retie or if it is obviously nicked but we use Excel and it just doesnt get all beat up...

Tight Lines,
~cf
Laurie

.`.><((((>`..`.><((((>

BIG PAPA

• "TCTC"
  • Ultimate Basser
  • 9.1 Caddo They call me BIG PAPA
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 08:08:26 PM »

I check my line every few minutes if I am in a tourny and retie at the slightest hint of a problem. If I am just out fishing I check much less often, probably every 10 to 15 minuites. but still retie several times a day. :D

papa 8)

Mike Noble

• Life Member
  • Life Member
  • Listen to the voices!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 09:06:47 PM »

I don't retie much.  If I get hung up, I will check the line.  And if I'm fishing "heavy" cover, I will check regularly.  If there are obvious abrasions or nicks, then I will retie.  Other than that, it is most likely that I won't retie all day.  I sort of go with....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I probably have baits tied on, that I fish with regularly, that haven't been retied in weeks or longer.  It just has never been much of a problem with fish breaking the line.
Life is a B........each!

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - e-reader

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - paperback

Ask me about PROTANDIM

SenkoSam

• Fisher Person
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 09:11:46 AM »

I don't retie much.  If I get hung up, I will check the line.  And if I'm fishing "heavy" cover, I will check regularly.  If there are obvious abrasions or nicks, then I will retie.  Other than that, it is most likely that I won't retie all day.

Ditto for me.
My reason is that I use a good braid 90% of the time and florocarbon the other 10%. Even pickerel don't rough up the line too much, but if they do, I test the strength by pulling, with one hand a foot above the hook. If it breaks at about a 15lb force (approx) than I know it was too weak to withstand a power surge. Fuzzed braid does not mean line weakness.

Mono has too many chances to fail (line defect or knot) and should be inspected and tested more often and retied more often. Superlines are far more fail-safe in my opinion.

Sam

Jared LeBlue

• Charter Member
  • LOCK JAW
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 09:26:48 AM »

I re-tie if I feel nicks in the line other than that I don't worry about it. I found that p-line is very abrasion resistant and I don't pop off easily. The only bad thing about p-line is the memory but if you respool as often as I do that's really not an issue.
Ardent Prostaff

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 10:40:52 AM »

In Reguards to mono, if you are serious about not breaking your line you must retie often. Mono when nicked is very weak. One thing that evades most fisherman is that mono will cut it's self very easily, this means that knots are truely your weekest point as when it was tied the line already started cutting into it's self. With that said retie obviously when there are nicks or frays in your mono, but also retie anytime your line has been stressed, i.e. after being hung up or after a good fish has been boated.

I don't use braided line much and don't have much to comment on.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

HoosierAngler

• Largemouth
  • I'm a llama!
    • Hookerztackle
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 03:34:52 AM »

Since I use mostly mono, I try to check it often. At least after every fish and more often than that on slow days ;)
http://www.hookerztackle.com http://www.gerberblades.com http://www.gambler-bang.com http://www.kistlerrods.com www.fishcandies.com

PJ Lures

• Smallmouth
  • One Mo Bass
    • PJ Lures
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 08:31:19 PM »

I usually break off too often to worry about it,
but after I get hung up I check for nicks and retie.
I also retie after catching that lunker.
Donetta
Darrell & Donetta
www.PJLures.com

bass1cpr

• Ultimate Basser
  • FnG
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 08:35:00 PM »

Floro carbon isn't all it's cranked up to be. The smallest nick or kink will weaken it. It is more heat sensitive than any other line, especially when you tie it. It needs to be wetted more when you tie it. Here's another test. Do you pinch the line between your fingers when you respool and help guide it on your reel.  Do this with florocarbon and you'll have all kinds of little curlys on the line. Thats heat it's something you have to be careful of with floro.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Gabby

• Largemouth
  • "Tackle Shops Love Me, Fish Laugh at Me"
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 09:50:24 PM »

If my line is "curly" when I let it off the spool - I like to change it.  I have even had line that was curly before I put it on my reel - and I just throw it out.
http://public.fotki.com/Gabby8/ang

bass1cpr

• Ultimate Basser
  • FnG
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 10:22:55 PM »

Gabby I don't mean curl in the line I'm talking about little curly cues on the line it self. Have you ever had a chipped guide and seen frays where it's scraping your line it's very similar to that.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Gabby

• Largemouth
  • "Tackle Shops Love Me, Fish Laugh at Me"
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 08:47:14 PM »

I haven't had the problem with the chipped eyes yet, but I have seen line twisted as you say.  I have fished through that, and changed it asap afterward, though.

When I really get into some fish (schoolies, mostly) sometimes my line gets frayed.
http://public.fotki.com/Gabby8/ang

bass1cpr

• Ultimate Basser
  • FnG
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 09:04:22 PM »

I still like flourocarbon but it does have some things to keep in mind. I've been using mostly stren because of availability. I've used segar but it was in the lighter pound test. Flourocarbon definatley has a different feel than mono or copolomer.

Quick Skirt

• Smallmouth
  • Fish Today You Might Not Be Here Tomorrow !!!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 09:11:33 PM »

I have had very little trouble with line failures mono or fluorocarbon and i have started using some Brade the last tournament pulled in some logs and checked the line and knots they were OK have had a lot of problems with the line breaking on jigs and the best i have been able to figure out is the paint on the eyelet is the problem can tie one on and give it a good pull and many times most of the time it will break have used several different knots just wondering if anyone has had a problem like this
Shawn

conniek

• Smallmouth
  • FnG
    • lakeforktacklerepair.com
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 09:23:14 PM »

On mono, I re-tie alot more than with the braid. Generally, if fishing lots of brush and catching big fish, I re-tie more often. I bass fish with Sugoi and I never re-tie, I just keep on fishing. I tie a good knot and with the Sugoi, I just keep hammering them.
To check the  guide eyes on your rods, use a Q-tip and twist around the center of each one, if a nick in the ceramic, you'll find it.Be sure to check rod tip, anglers crank baits into the ceramics and that is a bad practice to get into, install the small keepers on rods. Some available that are attached with small rubberband. conniek
conniek-Gycb Pro Staff,Ask about our maint. video and training school- SEE US IN DEC ISSUE BASSMASTER

Jesse

• Smallmouth
  • FnG
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2005, 08:59:22 AM »

I hardly ever re tie my super braids, Ive pulled thru some bad stuff with a frayed line, so Its not to omuch of a concern unless its a serious fray.

PJ Lures

• Smallmouth
  • One Mo Bass
    • PJ Lures
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 09:23:24 PM »

Shawn
Some of the jigs do have it a little rough where the paint is on the eye. Powder paint also is very hard. If you have to use an eye buster or something of that sort it can leave it rough. I check all of the jigs before tying on to make sure thay are smooth.
Then I tie a polymor or trilene knot. I use 10 and 12# seagar mostly. Dont seem to have any problem.
Darrell & Donetta
www.PJLures.com

PJ Lures

• Smallmouth
  • One Mo Bass
    • PJ Lures
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 10:48:13 PM »

Also check your jig when it falls and see if it is falling on the eye of the hook.
That could weaken your line fast.
Darrell & Donetta
www.PJLures.com

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2005, 11:58:23 AM »

PJ, those are two very good points. I don't know how many folks actually pay attention to the eyelet of a painted bait. But you would be amazed at how sharp the edge of paint or epoxy can be when it is cracked or peeling.

Cork's Reel Service

pondscum

• UB Member
  • FnG
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2005, 05:22:20 PM »

i do it after about every 4 to 5 days of fishing

Chip

• UB Member
  • Here Fishy Fishy
    • Carolina Chip's Lure Company
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2005, 05:34:12 PM »

It depends on the structure and the line: Knots is usually where I start when talking about re-tying line.............

Knots are important details in fishing and they serve different purposes.   Two good rules to remember are you should not use the same knot twice and you should take time to tie your knots carefully. Knots should be tied slowly, the line and knot should be moistened before pulling them tight (this prevents binding and allows the knot to tie evenly). Use firm and deliberate force when tightening a knot.  Allow a 1-4" tag length on each knot to prevent it from unraveling. Keep your twists and spirals uniform to make the knots neat and precise. When tying double lines, keep them parallel to avoid twisting as the knot is being tied.

Since the knot is the only connection the angler has to keep the hooked fish, it is important to inspect each knot before fishing. Check the line for knicks and fraying, and retie each knot made with monofilament lines before each fishing trip. Although wire leaders can be reused many times, you should test the crimps, and replace wire leaders with kinks or are rusted.  Remember that although snaps and swivels may be reused, wire leaders and rigs have a shorter lifespan.

If I am fishing mono and racking structure, I constantly look at line, trebs, and knots.... not every cast, but I pay as much attention to the line as I do the cast and proper retrieve.

Chip  ;)

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2005, 05:38:50 PM »

Pond Scum, welcome to the site. I usually retie before every fishing trip and then inspect my knot continually threw out the day. If I catch a strong pulling fish I my retie just in case. What kind of line do you use and what structure do you typically fish. I would loose a lot of fish if I only retied every 4-5 trips. But I could see where that could work if you were using a braid of some sort and fishing open water.

Chip, you posted don't use the same knot twice? I use only one knot for the majority of all my line ties. Am I screwing up here? can you elaborate on this?

Cork's Reel Service

Chip

• UB Member
  • Here Fishy Fishy
    • Carolina Chip's Lure Company
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2005, 06:04:20 PM »

Yah.. some fellas request snaps on the cranks I make. I always tell them that whether you are throwing a worm, crank, spinner or whatever... if you change the bait... retie the knot....

Worst case...Its the one time that you latch on to the largest bass of your life and all you have to tell is a story bout the one that got away.... or best case.. you loose a nice lure that would still be in your box if its knot did not fail... Re-tying also gives the opportunity to peel off frays or damaged line just by naturally retying.

I have lost fish that got wrapped up in structure, too big for set-up (i.e. crappie fishing on a 10 foot pole with 4 pound test and a lunker hits the jig), or just not hook set well... but I dont lose fish due to broken line.... Its one of those things if you keep abreast of the line quality... it will be there when you need it... FISH ON!  ;D

And you do this  ;PHO) rather than this  :'(

Chip  :)

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2005, 06:08:39 PM »

Oh I get it. For some reason I thought you were saying to use a different style knot than the one previous. Just didn't make sense but I read it wrong :-[ I'm with you on that I retie a lot, probably more than I need to but better safe than sorry.

I am curious to know what kind of line Pondscum is using? It appears he is very confident in his knots.

I guess it is more about removing a couple feet of frayed or nicked line, than it is about replacing the knot it's self.

Cork's Reel Service
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 23 queries.