How often do you re-tie your line?

Started by Ranger375, July 26, 2004, 05:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dimockcarp

I rety every time i catch a fish and everytime i snag. I don't want to miss that one chance. I change my line evry third time out wether or not it needs it. I hardly ever use swivels as i like a fresh not directly to the lure, for one exception spoons, where as i use a swivel. Tight lines buddy.
There are no bad days, but better days spent fishing....

blake711

I don't fish braid did years ago when it first came out.. I liked it at first but its a pain if it kinks or backlashes..  Plus I like a tiny bit of stretch in my line becuase I set hooks very hard..  I saw a guy bust a real when braid first came out snaped the spool loose..  So thast not for me..

My biggest problem with mono was finding a line where I didn't break at the knot.  I HATE Berkley because of that.. I used to only fish berkley when younger but I can't get a knot to not break on it.. I switched to stren clear and have had no issues with knot strength.  I bought a new curado a couple weeks ago and I said load it with streen 17 and imediatly after fishing it  I new it was berkly and not streen as it wouldn't hold a knot and the memory was terrible and wasn't as limp as streen..

Well just a couple weeks ago I switched to P-Line.. Man I love this stuff.. I haven't had any memory issues and I love that its so small diameter.. I had to make a modification to my not tying as its so slick but it holds TIGHT.. and no not breaks.. I fish only Gamkatsu hooks normally 3 ott and I like to be able to bend a hook out when its hung if it does that I know my knots are Darn strong..

Pferox

I use braid, tied to a length of shock leader either mono or floro depending on the situation, tied to a swivel, then another leader and hook or lure.
I have had one knot failure using this set up in the last 2 or 3 years.
I retie all knots before every trip, and retie lures and hooks every big fish, or 2nd or 3rd small fish, snags or what ever. It is very easy to feel for chaffing and nicks, when those are found, I replace it.
When flats fishin, we get into allot of sharp stuff, by each casting deck, we have a little metal eyelet which we use to snag hook our lure or hook to and set it hard until the drag breaks, it is a very fast and easy way to test line and knot strength and drag efficiency all in one movement.
I do loose a lot of fish, but most are due to the fact that they are conditioned to run by sharp stuff like docks and shell beds or have big teeth, other than wire all the way to the reel, you are gonna get cut off.
Sorry this started out as a simple couple of lines until I started typing, sheez, I didn't thing I was that meticulous about this knot thing.
I'm also real bad about cleaning off all paint that is near where my knot will be, didn't know why, my dad just made me do it all the time.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

blake711

Pferox69  don't feel bad I just reread my post and saw I went into a rant about mono vs floro  anyway I keep a close eye on my line.. I check after each fish and will normally retire after a 2-3# or larger fish.   If I am in some nasty cover I am more concious than if I am not.. Also I fish lots of plastics so when ever I adjust my worm its habit to check the line then also for nicks..

Pferox

Tnks Blake, it is a good habbit to develope, I probably check mine and Sharon's line more than that, it is just a thing I do without even thinkin.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Ranger375

I think you are right about making it a habit...doing it without even thinking about it...in the heat of a lot of action it is easy to not want to take the time to do it...and then you realize at the worst time...you made a big mistake!  ~shade

Great post...boy...someone went back a long way to revive this thread...but it is a good one...the guy that started it was sure a smart feller!  ;D   ...and humble too I bet!  ~c~
"It Ain't all the things that we don't know that causes all the trouble...it's all the things that we DO know that ain't so!"

Sc Bassin

Chip & Ranger 375 are SOooooooo right. Yesterday I found the largemouth on a stump loaded flat & was catching them on plastic. The action was very good & I was having a great day. I checked my line & felt a few nicks & decided to retie. I was in a hurry & was not sure if I tied a good not(palomar). Instead of re-tieing( I knew better ) I started fishing in a few cast later fish on & before I can get him to the boat fish off. Moral of this is when in doubt tie it again.  :'(

Pferox

Hi my name is Pferox and I screwed up this weekend too.
I was at my inlaws lake and was on a wild catfish bite, I was using 20 lb vanish leader and catching 2 to 8 lb cats as fast as I could bait and cast.
I felt the leader every time and on the last couple it felt like somebody took sandpaper to it, which is normally time to change, for some reason It didn't click to retie, suer enough next hook up, I lost him while trying to hoist him on the bank.  :(

Oh this isn't the 12 step link?  :-[

cmegee

I try to retie after every fish, and I make a habit of checking my line after 5-10 casts in heavy cover.

minijhouston

I usually change lures alot, so i retie ever lure change. But when i find something that works i honestly dont retie unless i can see the line starting to get freyed.

Travis
Siggy Removed by admin - over sized - please read the rules.

cmegee

Quote from: Ranger375 on May 29, 2005, 09:48:29 AM
I think you are right about making it a habit...doing it without even thinking about it...in the heat of a lot of action it is easy to not want to take the time to do it...and then you realize at the worst time...you made a big mistake!  ~shade

Great post...boy...someone went back a long way to revive this thread...but it is a good one...the guy that started it was sure a smart feller!  ;D   ...and humble too I bet!  ~c~

I bet we'd all agree this is a habit if you don't have you need to, how many times have we lost fish and then thought...OH CRAP why didn't I retie earlier?

minijhouston

Quote from: cmegee on June 03, 2005, 04:35:44 PMhow many times have we lost fish and then thought...OH CRAP why didn't I retie earlier?

This is True... it's happens to the best of us...
Travis
Siggy Removed by admin - over sized - please read the rules.

bassmaster135

I find my self retieing every 10 minutes.........Gar love me! :(

Joe. S

I check my line after every decent fish or everytime I get hung up, I always retie all my baits after removing about 10 ft of line before every tournament If I don't  just replace the line altogether.
http://www.basssnacks.com/
TREAT YOUR BASS RIGHT!

RRogue

Every time I catch a bass,especially a big bass,I test the line for nicks,abrasions,and rough spots.If I feel any,I retie.

Warpath

3 words.........

Not often enough!

Eric

Fish On

I check after every fish.  If any cuts in line I retie.  But I should retie no matter what because I still have fish break off after I think line is fine.
Alluringbaits.com        Fish307.com             Protackle.net
Boatboys.com            Furryfishbaits.com    Sunrizetackle.com    cbshawgsauce.com  
Secretweaponlures.com         Pourboyplastics.com

IamWill

I retie my line after every fish big or small  ~sweat Just a habbit i got it from my dad just never wanted a excuse for that fish of a life time you know would be a pain if it broke the line because of that little 2 or 3 pounder that cause line twist and stretch ~c~ :roll2:

earthworm77

If I'm in a tournament, after every fish. If I'm fun fishing, almost never and if I'm looking for one big bite.....frequesntly after tossing into the snags.
Micro Munch Tackle

I am my own man.

bassmaster_mercury

hey bassin buddies!  i usually re-tie my lines quite a bit even if i am fishing light cover.  i do not want to miss that big bass or walleye, etc, because i should have re-tied my line.  it only takes a couple seconds to re-tie.  i learnt the hard way when i was breaking off to many fish.  i love to use 6 pound test for smallies here in canada, and have caught plenty of 5 pounders using this method, but with this one, i re-tie all the time as it is only 6 pound test.  You always have to prepare for that big bass!!
bassmaster_mercury

LochRaven05

i retie my lines pretty often cuz ive lost too many fish before because i didnt. espencially plastics with a sliding bullet sinker on braided line.

Mike Cork

I always retie every knot before heading to the water and then after every fish and after every hang up. Even though it may appear that you free'd your bait from the snag pretty easy, any pulling or jerking before you got it loose can play havic on a knot :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

luremaster

I retie just when I feel nicks in the last few feet of line.

silversalmon

This all depends. I will re-tie my line every night after fishing in the saltwater for the day. The cold salt up here eats away at your line quickly when catching fish. Ice fishing, the same applies, wet line+cold water= snap, I try and re-spool the exposed line after ice fishing. Fresh water, will do the old pull check, but after every 5 outings will re-tie.

United States Air Force 1994-present

Mike Cork

You bring up some good points Silver, also sunlight over long periods of time will break down your line as well. Always store your equipment in a cool, dry, and dark place if it is avaliable :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service