Champion Carpet Redo

Started by clarker2000, February 06, 2014, 10:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarker2000

In the midst of freshening up my 2003 Champion 187DCX.  Carpet, seats, molding, HDS 7's, Trolling motor etc..... She is almost done and should be complete by Saturday. 

More to come when she is complete!!!!   
Owner/Sales/Installer at www.Reservoirboatworks.com

slimshad

That looks awesome!  I'm doing my 2002 "other" brand in March.  Thanks for the detailed pics.  How has your Yamaha been to you?  I have a 2002 200HPDI and, knock on wood, it has been solid.  With new carpet and new seats, who needs to spend $50-70,000 on a new boat? They have out priced the common man in my opinion.  Good job and thanks for the pics.
Wish'n I was Fish'n

clarker2000

Slimshad, I agree.  New boats are way overpriced.  My Yami is awesome!   She runs like a scalded dog!!!    lo  11 years old and runs like the day I got it.   Just put a water pump and seals in last week and now in the home stretch for the carpet redo, seats etc....   Taking the carpet off is a b!tch though!! 

Nutoy

NICE job clarker.
When you get finished, you need to come spend a week down here on Toledo Bend. I have a '92 Champion 204 that needs a carpet job. We can do it in stages when we come in from the lake each day.  ;)

bass1cpr

Looks good Clarker2000 nice job. YOur right removing the carpet is the toughest part. I use to do the hand scraping years ago then used Lacquer thinner the remove the residue then a final wipe with Acetone. I started using a Dremel multi tool to remove the carpet. I usually get a folded edge up by hand and then the multi tool goes to work sort of like shearing a sheep it get's most of the glue up at the same time so I use less chemicals for the clean up. Lacquer thinner doesn't evaporate as fast as Acetone and cost's a lot less than Acetone. We buy it in five gallon cans. Hand scraping sucks! I don't really know how you do your process but thought I'd give you some more Ideas for ya. 
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Polaris425

Looks great! Even those weird shaped areas. Looks like it came from the factory.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

clarker2000

Thanks guys.  I offer carpet replacement with my marine business here in Maryland and I certainly try to make it perfect.  I have a few very minor spots where its just a tad off but I dont think anyone would notice but me.  These boats are very hard to work in and around some times.  Somebody needs to make a nice new boat with snap out snap in carpet.  Wouldnt think that would be that hard. 

Nutoy

Quote from: clarker2000 on February 06, 2014, 02:04:45 PM
Somebody needs to make a nice new boat with snap out snap in carpet.  Wouldnt think that would be that hard.
You just give me an idea.  :-* :-* I may just try that on my install on the front deck.

jonboy

Quote from: bass1cpr on February 06, 2014, 12:15:35 PM
   Looks good Clarker2000 nice job. YOur right removing the carpet is the toughest part. I use to do the hand scraping years ago then used Lacquer thinner the remove the residue then a final wipe with Acetone. I started using a Dremel multi tool to remove the carpet. I usually get a folded edge up by hand and then the multi tool goes to work sort of like shearing a sheep it get's most of the glue up at the same time so I use less chemicals for the clean up. Lacquer thinner doesn't evaporate as fast as Acetone and cost's a lot less than Acetone. We buy it in five gallon cans. Hand scraping sucks! I don't really know how you do your process but thought I'd give you some more Ideas for ya.
I am about to start doing mine. Have you tried using a wire wheel on a Metabo? Just trying to think ahead before starting the project, dont know if it would actually work.
The only thing more depressing than not catching fish is not being able to go

clarker2000

Well I just scrapped away.  What I realized after doing this process is that you don't have to get it as clean as you think.  It's get up the lumpy stuff.  All else can stay.  Hatches are easy the main boat deck was harder but I cleaned it up way too much.  I used a flimsy 2" scrapper and a sturdy 2" scrapper.  I tried soaking stuff in goop off and acetone and it's all a waste.  Just pull and scrape.  Shortcuts just don't exist in my mind with removing glue. 

bass1cpr

clarker2000 I've tried lots of short cuts and your right most don't work but the multi tool to strip the carpet was one of the best things I came across. You remove the glue and rubber backing at the same time and it saves the hands fingers and wrist a lot of wear and tear.
   I agree that a small amount of residue is ok to recover but it's just one of my anal querks to remove it all. I think it gives me a much better looking final product and i know if there are any problems it wasn't from leaving any old residue on the decks. Plus I like the way it looks.  lo  I know I'm starting with a clean slate.
  I started doing carpet when I worked at a fiberglass boat repair shop. A friend of mine had that business for about 18 years before he closed it. A few of us were then snatched up by a local boat dealer, Ranger/Triton Mercury/Yamaha/Evinrude. They were a Skeeter/Gambler dealer before he switched over to Ranger. I've worked on just about every brand of boat on the market, glass and aluminum until last July, when I had to hang it up, now I just stop by and hang around and do little things around the shop.  ~beer~ thirty is my favorite time. Good luck with your business.

A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

clarker2000

I a about 99.9% done.  Need to wrap up a few minor punchlist items, such as a newly fabricated step up storage area and carpet under drivers side.  Other than that, she is done!!!

Princeton_Man

Beautiful! ~c~
Very nicely done! -Jim
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

bass1cpr

Looks good! New carpet does wonders for a used boat.

clarker2000

tdt91

Original Rat

tdt91

Quote from: bass1cpr on February 06, 2014, 12:15:35 PM

Would you mind showing us a picture of the tool and attachment or at least the part numbers so if any of us decide to do it ourselves we can take your advice.
Original Rat

bass1cpr

tdt91 what I use is a Dremel Multi Max tool with the stiff scraper blade. I paid a $100.00 for mine when they first came out. I bought it for remodeling work I was doing on my house and knew immediately what else I was going to use it for. I've seen sale adds for them around $79.00 now. 

West6550

tdt91

Quote from: bass1cpr on March 16, 2014, 10:43:37 PM
tdt91 what I use is a Dremel Multi Max tool with the stiff scraper blade. I paid a $100.00 for mine when they first came out. I bought it for remodeling work I was doing on my house and knew immediately what else I was going to use it for. I've seen sale adds for them around $79.00 now.

Cool thats what I thought you were talking about. I have one in a different brand. The blade you use is it the one with the teeth for trimming moulding and such? Or just the scraper blade with an edge?
Original Rat

bass1cpr

Just the stiff scraper blade. If I can pull the carpet off by hand I do and then all of the scraping is done with the oscilating scraper. I do the whole surface to make sure it's smooth but it doesn't have to be 100 % bare. But I like to clean about a 2" area around the edges bare and any areas where the carpet wraps around the lids.
   When I"m done with clean up I run 3/4" masking tape any where there are hinges. I lay this in the flat where the lids rest. Then I take a sharpie and make a mark where the screw holes for the hinges are. It makes it easier to find the holes when your done gluing the carpet down.
   At this point I have some T pins (get them at Wal-Mart) using the pins I put one in each screw hole then I burn them with a hobby tool like a wood burner (i get them at Harbor Freight) or you can heat an Ice Pick and burn the holes it makes starting the screws easier when your trying to put the lid and hinges back on. Hope that helps ya for the DIY guys.

gdaddybassmaster

~c~  Outstanding work, looks excellent

caddyjoe77

BeerMe

jprism

Nice job...where did you purchase the Ben-It Mount? I googled it and came up with nothing.

Jim
Using Tapatalk

ChampioNman

Very nice. I did a complete restore on my 1989 201. Llebroc seats, carpet deck extension and converted it from a FNS to a dual console.