16' Bass Attacker Restore ( Pic Heavy)

Started by Bigwrench, March 28, 2014, 09:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigwrench

Ok I am ready to seal and paint this outside hull !! Been a lot of work but can definitely see some progress.
The entire outside hull has been stripped and roughed up, Degreased and washed.

Tammy and I rebucked all 170 rivets on the front section where I saw some drips earlier in a leak test

We are going to try a Duralux brand marine paint that can be purchased at local hardware stores with the entire boat , inside and out being this base color

The camo patterns/design we will do with spray cans that we can get at the local store also

Tons of options there and the main surface paint is gonna be the most critical.
Gluvit will be used to seal all the seams and rivets inside and outside before paint and either a 3m 5200 or this which can also be picked up locally at the depot , which appears to be essentially the same thing ?

The plan is to get the outside hull sealed in with the base paint.
Flip it , (put new bunks on the trailer first of course) back it into the garage for winter and start fabricating the interior hatches and all the wiring and foam . Should keep me busy through the winter and then final paint and camo design pattern next spring !!! Stay tuned , gonna make a sweet rig outta this thing yet !
  I also have to add Tammy did one heck of a job using an air hammer for the first time tonight ! Redneck Chicks rock !!

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Lipripper

Now that's what I call great team work ~c~ ~c~ Looking great come spring it won't look like the same boat. ~shade ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Oldfart9999

When you're done I'll bring mine down. :-* :-*
Coming alone smartly BW!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bigwrench

Paint and Hull sealer are on order ! Maybe another week or two and this thing will be seam sealed and have a solid basecoat of Marine Paint On the outside hull !
Stay Tuned !
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Lipripper

Quote from: Bigwrench on October 28, 2015, 06:13:12 PM
Paint and Hull sealer are on order ! Maybe another week or two and this thing will be seam sealed and have a solid basecoat of Marine Paint On the outside hull !
Stay Tuned !
Thanks for the up date and you going to be able to work on it during the winter?

hughesjasonk

Bigwrench

Quote from: Lipripper on October 28, 2015, 06:27:59 PM
Thanks for the up date and you going to be able to work on it during the winter?
Yes sir ! We have a body shop at the dealership so I can definitely work on it through the winter , getting the paint booth when it's empty all weekend will be my only challenge but the plan is to put it in the booth Friday night clean it and seal the hull ,then spray the etching primer Saturday morning , final prep and paint work Saturday and then bake overnight and bring it home Sunday.

Bigwrench

Quote from: hughesjasonk on October 28, 2015, 07:04:08 PM
Pics or it didn't happen!
You can bet I'll take a lot more photos :) of each stage.

hughesjasonk

Quote from: Bigwrench on October 28, 2015, 07:52:51 PM
You can bet I'll take a lot more photos :) of each stage.
I'll hold you to it lol

Lipripper

Bigwrench

Ok so as I mentioned earlier in another thread , I cleaned out the garage most of the day yesterday and moved the project indoors for sealing.

Got all of the supplies I ordered .
Going to use Duralux "duck boat drab" as a base coat
Amazing Goop for the sealing of the seams
3M 5200 for all through hull bolts and fittings

Placed a space heater under the hull this morning to help warm the aluminum and heat the garage to a balmy 85 :)
Laid everything out on my little tool box and got to work

First thing I did was wipe all the areas I wanted to seal with acetone and then I mixed my Goop

You have to work pretty fast due to a 30 minute working time so I got straight to it

Dabbed it on thick with a disposable brush and then worked it in a couple directions

I would actually scrape my brush on the edge so it would build up in the seams.

Laying it on thick in more critical areas and smoothing it out later (30 minutes goes fast)

It turns out I had just enough to do every seamed area of the boat from the bow to the transom
I used a 2lb kit

Any drips I cleaned up with acetone and now there's a 10-12 hour cure time before I could either apply another coat or sand prime and paint it

I'll let it dry overnight with at least a 70 degree temperature and it should be ready to paint as soon as I get a booth open at work.

I will repeat this process on the inside seams at a later date before painting the inside.
Thanks for following along.

Lipripper

Bigwrench

A post note to the sealing process is to go back and check it every 30 mins to an hour . After sitting it will run some and since I wanted as smooth a surface as possible with minimal sanding I had to go back and run the brush over the lower areas where the runs occurred. Just mashing them flat with the brush and smoothing out (feathering) the edges.
After the 3rd trip , 90 minutes or so it was set hard enough so this no longer was an issue.

Bigwrench

I have decided to cut the front bow area some to have a "lip" area here's what I have now

and here's similar to what I want to do

A Ranger Aluminum for reference

Found 60"X80" sheets of aluminum local as well and will be getting several (4-5) sheets to do the decking and the insides of the lockers with.
Repurposed an old Tool cart into a dual battery tray for the TM which will be up front eventually

hughesjasonk

Oldfart9999

BW, are using a 12 or 24 volt TM? I'd go with 24. I want to put a Terrova on my boat and want a 24 for wind, aluminum boats tend to be kites in the wind. It's coming along nicely.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bigwrench

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on November 09, 2015, 12:42:30 PM
BW, are using a 12 or 24 volt TM? I'd go with 24. I want to put a Terrova on my boat and want a 24 for wind, aluminum boats tend to be kites in the wind. It's coming along nicely.
Rodney
24 volt , going to try and fix my old MG 767V if I can find parts if not ill get another Fortrex 80 or put a 101 on my Ranger lol and put the 80 on this one

Pferox

Are you sure you want to put that steel from the tool cart into an aluminium boat?  Especially with battery acid and fumes so close?  I would suspect it will corrode very quickly in that kind of environment  not to mention the galvanic reaction (or whatever the call it) with the aluminum hull, even if painted.

Looks really good so far, you are so talented.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Bigwrench

Quote from: Pferox on November 09, 2015, 02:22:12 PM
Are you sure you want to put that steel from the tool cart into an aluminium boat?  Especially with battery acid and fumes so close?  I would suspect it will corrode very quickly in that kind of environment  not to mention the galvanic reaction (or whatever the call it) with the aluminum hull, even if painted.

Looks really good so far, you are so talented.
I have actually thought of that as well and probably wont be using it but it was a cool idea lol
  I wondered about that when I started fooling around with the cart trying to figure out what I could make out of it , it's going to be painted like the boat . Thought about installing rubber mats glued to the inside and then isolation washers like a trolling motor uses for mounting so I dunno I'm still a long way from the Trolling motor stuff yet and something else might come to mind. 
With this thing I've found that I started it with one or two cool ideas and it seems like the more I play with it the more I want to do to it if that makes sense.
Ripped apart a faulty 3rd Brake light unit today and stole the LED strips off the circuit board and thought about using them somewhere on the boat :)
Got contact switches off a Pontiac convertible top I wanna mount to the hatches either for lighting the hatch when you open it ,  a wireless remote alarm or both :).

Bigwrench

Going over it with a 3M scotchbrite pad

and a DA on the heavy spots

just to take the sheen off and scuff it up to give the etching primer a little more bite and basically to smooth out any high spots

A final wipe down with acetone and a microfiber cloth will clean it up. I'll probably degrease and wash Friday night before putting it in our paint booth (if I can get the booth)
If not I may have to make a homemade booth in the front yard ;)
This stuff is like a marine Bondo !
Highly recommended it !

Pferox

You can use the same switches for both usually, as long as you remember to turn off the alarm when you open them up.  If you plan on keeping them hot, you might be able to get away with a current drain sensor at the battery to set an alarm off.  If those are still available, not sure been a long time.

If you are so gung ho on the format of that red box, you could bend one out of aluminum and use that torch heated welding stick on them to seal them.  I used that to repair a couple of aluminum polling platforms in FL, and the stuff works pretty good.

http://www.alumiweld.com/ 

Might have even used it to seal the rivets before the sealer, now that I think about it.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Bigwrench

Yes sir ! I may be using the Alumiweld soon ;) GMTA lol just  didn't think about it for the battery tray. Neat Idea !
If I can get our Race Shop manager (Former Kodak #4 car, we still have the shop and use it for just about everything) mostly just storing and restoring the old hot rods and classics the owners have. There's a museum in there and they still work on Eric McClures car some there too
If I can get him to Tig these holes up for me I won't need it but if not I will be using the Alumiweld this week to fill a hole in the side from a livewell hose

Bigwrench

Ok so even though this ain't no Vette and its gonna be camouflage or at least Duck Boat Drab I'm going over it and smoothing some areas out
A neat trick for runs if you guys ever encounter them is just use a brand new razor blade and use it like a wood worker uses a cabinet scraper

A one edged blade

Work it down to a manageable amount with the blade and then sand it smooth

I want to stay away from the seams and the rivet shoulders as much as possible or I'm just defeating the purpose of the sealer.

Around the rivets I will just scuff lightly with the Scotch pad to remove the sheen.
Yeah no one will ever see it on the bottom of the hull ...... But I know it's there lol

Pferox

So that stuff dried hard like body filler?  If that is the case, it must be very easy to work with.  Looking very nice there, Rick.

Bigwrench

Quote from: Pferox on November 09, 2015, 07:55:52 PM
So that stuff dried hard like body filler?  If that is the case, it must be very easy to work with.  Looking very nice there, Rick.
It appears to be similar , maybe gums up the paper more so I switched out often but smooths out nicely I actually went rough with the paper using 100 grit "gold" sticky backed on the DA and the hand work I just did with the 3M pad. Don't want it too smooth but the etching primer I will be using should grab onto just about anything but since this is my first rodeo with the Coat It product I wanna try and get good adhesion using old school methods since it is epoxy based.