16' Bass Attacker Restore ( Pic Heavy)

Started by Bigwrench, March 28, 2014, 09:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigwrench

That's exactly what I needed guys thanks !!!
I didn't take any real before photos of the trailer bunks before tear down that I can find so I couldn't remember exactly how they were mounted. The ones I have are so rusted I think it would be a waste of time to reuse them after all the other upgrades. I'll order some hardware today.
There the existing holes in the trailer but I don't think they were being used. There are u bolts that were used originally around the square tubing like your pictures above. 
Going to try and get the main lower deck sheet cut out today !!
As soon as I can get that area cutout I can start my console location and start running some wiring !!
A little fried bologna and egg sandwich , 3 cups of coffee and I got the whole day to work on this thing ! Stay tuned !
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

hughesjasonk

Looking good

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Dark3

Everybody, I seen BW was cheating on us at Tinboats!  Now you may or may not be shunned. We shall take a vote. Please dont ask how I know you were there, its a secret.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Bigwrench

Quote from: Dark3 on July 10, 2016, 09:30:41 AM
Everybody, I seen BW was cheating on us at Tinboats!  Now you may or may not be shunned. We shall take a vote. Please dont ask how I know you were there, its a secret.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk
Lol there is a Wealth of info over there and highly recommend taking advantage of it if your dealing with a tin rig rebuild . Jim is a great guy and let's me share my UB Stuff there as well., not to mention there are some incredibly talented builders and fabricators there.   Works out great for them and us :)
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

West6550

Rick next time mark the old brackets with a marker before you remove them so you will know what angle for the boat lol.. oh well lolluckily you have that hoist so you can put the bunks on and lower the boat and adjust the bunk angles.

I used lock nuts on mine as well and of course some washers.

Oldfart9999

Rick the hardware Coldfront used is the way to go, simple to use, inexpensive to buy. BPS, Cableas, I'm sure Amazon also. The mounts for the side bunksclean them up, the pitted areas have blasted and filled with JB Weld, prime and paint or cut them off and buy rollers or bunks.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bigwrench

Ok so working outside today ! Those little aluminum chips flying make a big mess lol.
Time to fill in this section.

How I went about doing this is I measured across the area and came up with the center.  Also made a centerline on my aluminum sheet , then split the distance in half and transferred that to the metal from the centerline .

The floor gets thinner as it goes forward so there is a taper at each side . To get a perfect fit I have to cut that taper into both sides measured from the centerline .
Measured 5 times lol so wish me luck !!
Also working on this bow strap tie down area today and need to figure out what to do up here

Probably better get the bunks all in place first and then figure out a front stop and or roller mount ?

Lipripper

looks like it's moving right along ;D it's always better to measure more than one time before cutting  :)

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Bigwrench

Ok lower deck is installed !

My cuts were fairly good but after laying it in place I realized the two pieces on each side are wavy lol. There is expandable foam behind those sections so not sure how to bring them out to meet even unless I drill a small hole and pump more expandable foam behind the low spots.  Oh well it will work !
May end up with a Rod locker there anyways so won't see the cut line ?

Lipripper

As long as it work that's all that matters and beside what's a few waves out on the water. ;D

Bigwrench

I think I'll work on the retractable transom tie downs today  gifts from the kids and momma

Not sure if I should cut these welded d rings off

and bolt them there or leave them and bolt the tie downs to the inside ?
I already have new stainless tie down u bolts for the transom here

?
?

Bigwrench

Just ran with it lol

Looks great !

Now it's nap time lol

Lipripper

You been working to hard. ~sweat Now go have a  ~beer~ and take a nap and dream of them big fish you hope to catch come September. ;D

Bigwrench

One thing I did realize is the boat is awful close to those new LED tail lights I installed
I think I'll make a bracket to bring them to the outside edge soon

West6550

Man you got a lot done!! It looks great.

Kris

Wow Rick, that looks great.  The transom tie downs look really good.  LED lights, smart man.  I agree on the brackets to move them.  As you can see from mine I moved them up.  I also have LED red to rear and yellow to front that will go on the bow guides for me to back it up.    This boat is gonna be great.  Hell, all ready is.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Oldfart9999

It's coming together beautifully Rick, looking really good! You could move the lights up, I'm slowly redoing my trailer, bought it used and trying to make it work for my boat. I need to mount side bunks or rollers and I'd like to get the lights up and out of the water and replace the axle followed by paint.
Rodney

hughesjasonk

Looking great. I wouldn't cut those welded d rings. Might need them later.

Bigwrench

Quote from: hughesjasonk on July 10, 2016, 11:02:32 PM
Looking great. I wouldn't cut those welded d rings. Might need them later.

Yep I also decided that and just mounted them inside. 
I was thinking about something like this as a bracket to move the tail lights out away from the boat some ?

What y'all think ? I could either go up or down with them ?

Kris

I think that will be good.  The bow guide board will keep it from getting hit. 

West6550

Why not just out to the side? Hard to tell from a picture. I wouldn't put them past the edge of the trailer. Other anglers like to bump into you at busy ramps. I would probably just go over a few inches. Like the outside hole is now the inside. Just an idea. Then you could do a little white reverse light in that single hole spot.

Pferox

I like that it is a good location, almost to the edge, but enough space to protect them. I was also thinking though .......

Would you be able to drop a vertical down to the trailer on the outside?  This would kind of firm up the construction a little and make it more durable.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Oldfart9999

That would be a good spot, I want to get mine out of the water, have to wait til I get either bunks or rollers.
Rodney

Kris

Hi Rodney,  I have changed all my boat trailer lights to LEDs.  I got tired of replacing bulbs every couple of trip I had to replace one.  Most of the LEDs are sealed with epoxy to keep them around.  I still like to have the lights up out of the water if possible.  It also puts them higher for the motorists behind you.

Bigwrench

Think the time has come to get started back on this protect :)
Apologize that it's been so long but as many know there have been some major challenges to overcome.
We are slowly getting back in business and will be limited on what can be done by myself but will have others who can do some of it too.
With that being said I need TIG welding advice  so if any of y'all are serious Aluminum TIG Welders message me
Please if you have time.
Stay tuned for more
Progress soon :)