16' Bass Attacker Restore ( Pic Heavy)

Started by Bigwrench, March 28, 2014, 09:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Lipripper

A lot of work going on there and looks great Rick So hope you cooked up some nice thick for you pop after all his help. ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Bigwrench

Quote from: Lipripper on January 07, 2018, 05:59:59 PM
A lot of work going on there and looks great Rick So hope you cooked up some nice thick for you pop after all his help. ;D
He had BBQ wings lol.
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Bigwrench

Quote from: Princeton_Man on January 07, 2018, 06:15:41 AM
After thinking about your dash a little, what if you sandwich a kitchen cutting board between the two pieces of aluminum? That would give you added strength and a solid dash.
Yep that's also an option and wouldn't have to worry about rotting wood !!
Ordered a big sheet of it to use in various places for mounting the TM breaker,Transducer to hull,LSS control box, battery kill switch, NOCO on board charger and fuse block.
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Lipripper

Bigwrench

Got several things accomplished today !
We have had the gas tank a few days now but it came without any securing hardware.  I am not sure if it normally comes with it (I bought this as a used item off of amazon) their description was that the packaging was damaged and that's why it was a return.
  It arrived in perfect shape and still had pressure built up from the testing when I pulled the plugs out ( so we know it is airtight).
Anyways I decided to build my own strapping system and anyone who has ever removed a gas tank from a car might notice my inspirational methods
So the first thing we did was create a frame for the bottom of the tank to sit in using 2x2 angle

Attached that to the floor and a smidge of room for expansion

Fits like a glove!

Once that was complete we added some sticky backed foam to each side and then under-coated that area. 

Started on the tank strapping, tried 1/16 flat aluminum straps and they would break too easily so I ran to the local hardware store real fast and got an entire roll of strapping that is the kind that the secure items on pallets with a crimping bander

Once we had one good one we made another to match

We then drilled out mounting holes and taped them both up with some special abrasion type tape.

Turned out really nice.

Here's the fun part. J-Nuts

Using this method the strap length on each side is very critical so that was a time consuming portion of the strap design. Too much length they won't be holding much pressure and too little length they could potentially cut into the plastic tank or even bust it.

We installed some more foam at the contact corners of the tank

And we now have a very secure gas tank

Once that was done we installed the starting battery in its location, we used a tray I had laying around but I may end up welding up an aluminum tray like I did for the TM batteries up front. With it in this location we can now start wiring up everything and installing the on-board charger, battery kill switch, LSS Module and the fuse block !

There will be a dividing plate between that battery and the gas tank. As well as a dividing plate between the front of the gas tank and the back of the seat bottom, this area will be used for storage for things like a  landing net and some life vests.
That area will be around 14" high,  34" wide and 10 1/2" deep. My initial thought is to just attach one of those storage nets like they have in the back of SUV's or car trunks to keep everything in place.  But we will see how that turns out as we make progress. 
Tomorrow the bilge pump is going in
The NOCO charger is mounted under the drivers seat but I'll have to show that method tomorrow.  Stay tuned.

Lipripper

It's getting there Rick  ~c~ ~c~ and hope you didn't work your old man too hard today. lo lo

fishandkamp

Nice work. Hopefully I will see it done when we come hauling by your door in March/April.

Bigwrench

Quote from: Lipripper on January 11, 2018, 06:26:20 PM
It's getting there Rick  ~c~ ~c~ and hope you didn't work your old man too hard today. lo lo
Lol hard work is good for his soul :)

Bigwrench

Quote from: fishandkamp on January 11, 2018, 09:27:53 PM
Nice work. Hopefully I will see it done when we come hauling by your door in March/April.
I hope so too ! This has been a very lengthy project for sure.

Oldfart9999

It's coming together nicely Rick!!! So what are doing the Ranger?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

West6550

Looking great!! Dang Rick, you might want to start selling these boats lol

Bigwrench

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 12, 2018, 06:37:41 AM
It's coming together nicely Rick!!! So what are doing the Ranger?
Rodney
Just letting it sit there giving me dirty looks lol. It's going to be sold eventually but I want to try and get this one done and out of
The garage so I can move it inside for its transformation :)

Bigwrench

Didn't get as much time today as I'd hoped for but we did get the charger installed under the driver seat.

I'm still not 100% sold on it being in this location and may end up moving it again lol. As it stands now I'd have to create 2 sets of jumper wire extensions for the charger leads to the TM batteries.
  Got the charging power plug adapter installed

Also used an old Zebco 202 as a mounting system for the bilge pump lol.

Smallie_Stalker

That Zebco housing as a mounting system is ingenious!!!  ~c~

I wish I had thought of that years ago when I was redoing my old Bass Tracker. Would have saved me a lot of time. I ended up making my own brackets and then riveting them to the area that the bilge hoses ran through.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bigwrench

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 12, 2018, 04:38:23 PM
That Zebco housing as a mounting system is ingenious!!!  ~c~

I wish I had thought of that years ago when I was redoing my old Bass Tracker. Would have saved me a lot of time. I ended up making my own brackets and then riveting them to the area that the bilge hoses ran through.
I kept looking around for something that I could use that I didn't have to drill or rivet into the plastic housing and saw that just sitting there and thought hmmm.  It seriously fits solid and square , had to slot out one side for the wiring.  The Center hole is perfect for running a bolt up through
  Once I get it installed I'll cut the excess threads off that bolt.

Kris

Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

West6550

Lipripper

Nothing like a little Hill Billy smarts  lo lo It works though  ~c~ ~c~

Bigwrench

So far today been welding d then ran outta argon LOL.
Started out different today and decided to practice on the boat parts :)
Filled several holes that were in the rail

Welded the seat base up all the way around.

Lipripper

Someones been having fun this morning.  ;D How much does that argo cost?

Bigwrench

Quote from: Lipripper on January 13, 2018, 12:13:54 PM
Someones been having fun this morning.  ;D How much does that argo cost?
I think it's around $45

Princeton_Man

Looking good Rick! Your welding skills have come a long way.  ~c~
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bigwrench

Quote from: Princeton_Man on January 13, 2018, 01:30:23 PM
Looking good Rick! Your welding skills have come a long way.  ~c~
Thanks brother , got a long ways to go but what I am doing seems to be working and the more I do the easier and better it gets. 
  And when I screw up I got plenty of grinding tools that I can clean it up with and start over lol.
My first hole attempt turned out bad !

Cleaned it up and started over lol.

Smallie_Stalker

If at first you don't succeed............................

Looking good Rick.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire