16' Bass Attacker Restore ( Pic Heavy)

Started by Bigwrench, March 28, 2014, 09:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

Like the pump mount!!! :toot: :toot: You had to pop your cherry and weld on the boat, you're doing good!!! What size cylinder do you have for the argon? with the welding you're doing you might want to get a larger one if it'll fit in the carriage for the welder. The gas will cost less.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bigwrench

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 13, 2018, 04:33:25 PM
Like the pump mount!!! :toot: :toot: You had to pop your cherry and weld on the boat, you're doing good!!! What size cylinder do you have for the argon? with the welding you're doing you might want to get a larger one if it'll fit in the carriage for the welder. The gas will cost less.
Rodney
I have the 80cf now and may have to go to the 125 or a 150. I'll call Monday if they are open and see why it would take to swap out mine for a bigger size.
I think there are size limitations on what they will sell to an individual. I do not want to get into a rental type contract situation. I own this bottle so will have to see what they have available.  The 80 is a nice size but maybe a little small for me practicing so much. 
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Oldfart9999

You should be able to trade the 80 for a 125, it'll cost but the convenience of fewer trips plus the gas costing less per cubic foot can be worthwhile, depends on how much you're going to use. Have you played with the volume of gas you need to keep the weld clean? If you're welding outside you may need more under different wind conditions, a slight breeze can make a big difference.
Rodney   

Bigwrench

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 14, 2018, 06:39:58 PM
You should be able to trade the 80 for a 125, it'll cost but the convenience of fewer trips plus the gas costing less per cubic foot can be worthwhile, depends on how much you're going to use. Have you played with the volume of gas you need to keep the weld clean? If you're welding outside you may need more under different wind conditions, a slight breeze can make a big difference.
Rodney
This thing has like an automatic 15 second post flow , I think that's hurting me more than anything. Evidently it's a big issue with people who have these welders and there are several fixes I can try that can cut that time down also. Gonna just have to play with it some I guess.
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Oldfart9999

Not sure but that could be to cool the tungsten down. You're adding to your skills with this!! ~c~ ~c~ It's a great thread!! ~c~ ~c~
Rodney

Bigwrench

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 15, 2018, 08:24:39 AM
Not sure but that could be to cool the tungsten down. You're adding to your skills with this!! ~c~ ~c~ It's a great thread!! ~c~ ~c~
Rodney
Yeah that's one of the functions for sure, also makes a difference what material your welding. Most of the more advanced machines (more $$$) have the ability to control the post flow. This one , in my humble opinion was made for the "Dummy" welder that doesn't know ability all those features and just wants to lay some beads lol. Which I fall in that dummy category :)
Most posts I have read say for Aluminum I need 3-7 seconds post flow.
  I'm heading out today to get a fill up on the 80cf I own it's like $43 and to lease a 125cf bottle is $175 for 5 years ($35 a year) and $58 to fill up each time. They won't sell me a 125 outright but it doesn't seem like a bad deal either. So I'll have to figure it out today. I am also going to get a Tig torch body that has a shut off valve on the handle and I could basically just shut it off each time. Those bodies are like $14-$30. So anyways lots of options and yes this thread is turning into a lot more than I originally planned but hope it will be helpful still to many others. 

West6550

Rick this is one of the best posting going on here. Great info and just plain fun to watch!

Oldfart9999

You may want to pick up a couple different size cups, the right ones will help reach tough spots. Time to get back to the boat!!! lo lo ;)
Rodney

Bigwrench

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 16, 2018, 11:47:54 AM
You may want to pick up a couple different size cups, the right ones will help reach tough spots. Time to get back to the boat!!! lo lo ;)
Rodney
Lol I think I have every size they offer now lol. I bought one of those big kits on sale with stubby gas lenses and all the accessories.

Bigwrench

Should be able to get back started tonight. Had to go visit my grand babies today :)

Bigwrench

Got home later than I wanted but got me some paw paw lovins so all is right in my world now lol.
Couple updates
Got the final mounting of the bilge pump done

Got the two tempress seats bolted down

Started welding up my cooler box in front of the console and called it a night.

Oldfart9999

West6550

Are you going to carpet it or paint the inside?

Bigwrench

Quote from: West6550 on January 17, 2018, 07:36:03 PM
Are you going to carpet it or paint the inside?
Just paint brother and maybe some of that foam padding. Still undecided on that. I guess I need to get started priming/painting soon because everything's falling together rapidly and would be easier than tearing it all back apart. Wish this crazy cold weather we have been having would go somewhere else lol.

West6550

Quote from: Bigwrench on January 17, 2018, 08:06:43 PM
Just paint brother and maybe some of that foam padding. Still undecided on that. I guess I need to get started priming/painting soon because everything's falling together rapidly and would be easier than tearing it all back apart. Wish this crazy cold weather we have been having would go somewhere else lol.
I hear ya, it is chilly here as well. I would paint it if it was me. You can always toss a foam piece down for the place you stand the most if needed. Some silica in the paint mix for the deck will make it a little rough and help the mat from sliding. Just an idea, cheaper than rino liner stuff.

Bigwrench

Ok need ideas on where to mount this fuse block
I want to make it easily accessible and also it needs to be on the starboard side since all the wires are run through that side

I'm going to mount it to a 1/8 plate

And thinking about right here in front of the console ?

It is waterproof bout would tick out to the front about 1/2". I think it would be fine right there and easily accessible.
Grayson says to put it in the side of the console here

Again it would stick out 1/2" and I think I would bump into it a lot if it was there while moving around on the boat. ?
So what y'all think ?

Kris

My old Ranger has it right in front of the motor control in the starboard side.
In my Ouachita I mounted it in the front of the starboard side battery box.
In my Neighbor's Bass Tracker Pro17 I mounted it just under the console on the starboard side. Since you have the problems you do this is probably not the best place for it.
If you can mount it there the old Ranger location of the side of the console are probably the best choices for you.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Bigwrench

I could mount it right where those 2 old capacity stickers are also.  It would be in between the console and the motor shift control ?

Kris

That is where it is mounted on my old 360V.

Kris

On my Neighbor's boat there was no way to mark the fuses for what they were. So I made him a card, covered in plastic that shows what is for what. It is hung under the dash where he can see it while under the dash looking at fuses. I tried to keep one circuit on each fuse to make it simple for him.

Bigwrench

Quote from: Kris on January 20, 2018, 08:49:14 AM
On my Neighbor's boat there was no way to mark the fuses for what they were. So I made him a card, covered in plastic that shows what is for what. It is hung under the dash where he can see it while under the dash looking at fuses. I tried to keep one circuit on each fuse to make it simple for him.
That's a good idea also.  I do have a label maker I was going to try and use to mark the locations with.
Been welding this morning!
Getting the cooler boxed in and insulated. 
Just to show my progress on inside corner joints here's my first try ever on those type joints.

And today's samples

Probably going to insulate the kid like Thomas did his Ranger livewell way back when.
But it will be totally insulated from all sides now.
My biggest problem now with welding is to get the best welds I need to weld on the 230V side !
I only have one drop for 220 out of my breaker and it is the wrong plug end !
I need to figure out what size breaker I need to install to run the 230v drop.

I'm thinking it's reading 25A from this label , if so I have a 30 amp double pole already installed for my old outside well pump I no longer use I could run a drop off that with #6 wire !
Lol any electricians in the house ?

Lipripper

Your getting better with that fire stick  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Kris

I am really good with gas welding. Not too bad with stick welding. But you make me look like the amateur I am with a wire feed welder. I never could make that thing work the way I wanted it to.

Bigwrench

Quote from: Kris on January 20, 2018, 12:03:30 PM
I am really good with gas welding. Not too bad with stick welding. But you make me look like the amateur I am with a wire feed welder. I never could make that thing work the way I wanted it to.
Thanks brother but truly nowhere near where I need to be but as long as I can fuze the alloys I'm happy at this point lol. 
I have plenty of Sanders and grinders to clean it up and then lots of paint and primer to cover it up lol.
Some of the Tig pros I been studying are truly artists with their torch.

Princeton_Man

I've said it before and will say it again, you are truly gifted Rick!
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club