16' Bass Attacker Restore ( Pic Heavy)

Started by Bigwrench, March 28, 2014, 09:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigwrench

Decided to make a starting battery tray and remounted the 3 bank to an easier to access location.

Came up with a battery hold down bracket design and liked it so much I'll make a double for the TM tray tomorrow, I'll add some photos of both tomorrow. 
Relocated the 3 bank 110v plug access port since the seats would have been in the way where it was before.

Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Princeton_Man

Truly awesome work there Rick!  ~c~

Hope no one ever has to pull that thing apart.  lo
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

West6550

Bigwrench

Quote from: Princeton_Man on January 26, 2018, 06:00:51 AM
Truly awesome work there Rick!  ~c~

Hope no one ever has to pull that thing apart.  lo
Actually it is going to be fairly easy to take apart. That's what has taken so much time is ensuring everything can be removed if needed to access the hull and wiring. All the decks are removable and the gas tank walls are removable as well.
The hardest part to remove will be the lower center deck due to the console and seats having to be removed first. Only solid welded parts are the subframe that the decks sit on. I removed all the riveting and am welding those solid so the deck will sit flush on the aluminum stringers.
  Would think the welded framing would give it more strength also. No welding was performed anywhere near the hull so all the original framing are still riveted with those buck rivets. 
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Oldfart9999

This is a very interesting thread!!! You're going to have a very nice, very good looking rig Rick!!! :toot: :toot:
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Kris

Looking good Rick! Can't wait to see this project completed. This boat will be something.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Bigwrench

Decided to make a whole new TM battery tray from scratch . I originally used 1/16 angle for the sides and of course my welding was "crappier" , so for the hold-down system to work I have to use the thicker 1/8 material for the sides of the tray.
Everything cleaned up and laid out for welding

Tacked up.

Little clean weld tacks

Lipripper

Looking good Rick and I know you can't wait till it's done and y'all take it out and catch the first Bass out of it.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Bigwrench

Got it all welded up and painted.

Started making the hold-down bracket for the dual batteries

Starting battery hold down bracket.

hughesjasonk

Your welding is getting better and better

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

West6550

Looking good Rick, but will you hurry up! I got my order in for you to build me one after this one is done lol

Bigwrench

Quote from: hughesjasonk on January 27, 2018, 08:14:32 AM
Your welding is getting better and better

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks brother !! It's kinda addicting knowing you can pretty much make anything you can think up lol. I ran my second bottle (125) out today and will fill it up next week while I'm at the VA , have my backup (80) still. I think since I switched to 220 I may be using more gas now and I think that's part of the algorithm built into the machine with the auto pre and post flow. 
I went through the 125 a lot faster than the 80 lol, but I have been practicing a lot more also. 

Bigwrench

Quote from: West6550 on January 27, 2018, 04:21:06 PM
Looking good Rick, but will you hurry up! I got my order in for you to build me one after this one is done lol
I don't know if I'd do it again lol.
Or maybe if I did I'd start with a new bare hull and go from there. 

Bigwrench

This is what the setup looks like for the battery when installed.
I have the double bracket hanging and drying the paint overnight and I will install that tomorrow. 
Here's the double tray

Used some tool box drawer liner material to line the bottom of the trays with.

Deadeye

Looks good Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigwrench

bassindude

I'm finally caught up on this thread lol.   Looking great Rick!!

Jim
Jim ><///'>><///'>

Oldfart9999

Nice looking battery tray and hold down Rick!!!
Rodney

Donald Garner

She's coming together quiet nicely.  Tks for sharing this project with us buddy.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Bigwrench

Gonna get off on a tangent here so bear with me :).
I cut the hole in the front deck for the recessed TM tray and when it was done

I was very disappointed in how it turned out and looked so.... I started over on the tray lol
I want a completely flush mount so I decided to weld the tray directly to the bottom of the deck panel. It will basically be an integral part and a very clean look. It will also serve as as a support brace spacer for the front deck since it will sit directly on the frame joists underneath. Should be super solid now. 
I spent all day doing some mock ups and taking measurements and trying out different compound miter angles on scrap sheet and finally came up with a plan and here's how that unfolded.
Started out with a tray floor profile I wanted

I then decided to create the sides of the tray out of one long piece and just wrap it around each corner until I had what I was looking for.  The reason for this was if I wanted to use a bunch of little pieces to make up the angles , when it came time to weld them up the smaller pieces would heat up super quick and melt out on me. Was very frustrating lol.
So here's what I started with , making sure to keep a factory straight edge on top for welding to the bottom of the deck panel.

I then made sure I had the proper width and a square end to play with !
Chop saw works wonderful for this

For each angle that I needed I "scored" the panel in just the right place at about 1/16 depth with the skil saw
Blade depth check

After the cut

Just worked my way slowly and precisely all the way around the tray bottom

Kept all my cuts on the outside so the inside is smooth and factory-looking.

It's pretty much welded up now, the saw grooves make for a perfect area to lay a bead in and it was just so much easier and a much "cleaner" look.
I have a few touch ups to do tomorrow evening after a doctors appointment,drill a drain hole and add a tube  and I'll get it welded to the bottom of the front deck panel. Can't wait to see it installed and painted. Stay tuned !

Smallie_Stalker

Dang, that's looking good!  ~c~ I can't wait to see the entire boat when it is finished and ready to launch.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Lipripper

Looks good Rick a lot of work but it sure looks great. ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

West6550

Oldfart9999

Bigwrench

Ok medical setbacks have slowed me down on this but there's a little progress to report.
The tray is welded to the deck and just needs some finishing touches and prime/paint.
Lining it up from the bottom

Laser straight and true.

I think it's going to be perfect by the time I get it all smoothed out and finish sanded.
The plan is to make a tool holder and cup holder area and not sure if I will also incorporate that into the deck itself or make a raised plate with a fishfinder mount system above the tray area. This tray took a lot of time and effort but I think it will be just what I wanted and have learned a lot while designing and installing it.  Which gives me confidence and ideas for other parts of the boat lol.
Thanks for following along. Next step is finishing the transom and installing the motor and doing some door and compartment work.