16' Bass Attacker Restore ( Pic Heavy)

Started by Bigwrench, March 28, 2014, 09:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadeye

See your already on it.

I will say it's the nicest aluminum restore I think I've seen.

kodi2k6

Quote from: Bigwrench on February 27, 2018, 10:00:31 PM

My plate is illegible now and trying to get a replacement.

The plate for my 15' Sea Nymph Bass Attacker says 40 Hp max. for my boat.  What is really funny is that it also says "3 Persons or 440 lbs.!"  You don't see many 145 lb. average guys around these days!  :-) 

For reference, it also says "755 lbs. for Persons , motor, and gear."

Bigwrench

Quote from: kodi2k6 on March 01, 2018, 09:12:20 AM
The plate for my 15' Sea Nymph Bass Attacker says 40 Hp max. for my boat.  What is really funny is that it also says "3 Persons or 440 lbs.!"  You don't see many 145 lb. average guys around these days!  :-) 

For reference, it also says "755 lbs. for Persons , motor, and gear."

Thanks so much for looking for me. Lol I'm a long ways from 145 :)
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Bigwrench

Ok so a lot of changes have been taking place lately
Worked on the hatch lids some more and drilled those out and countersunk the holes so they would all match

Removed the deck plate and started framing out the lower section of the front deck
Added a 1/8" plate to the existing floor joists 

Welded them in place

Drilled a 1" hole at the angle I wanted, inserted a 1/8" x 1" tube, I cut an angle on the end that went into the hole so I could rotate it and get the perfect angle to have them at 90 degrees from the deck plate.
This made it very easy.

Had to get creative with coping out the 1" square tubing that attaches to those pipes, traced the pipe out on the square tube, cut it close with a cut off wheel and then coped it out perfectly with this sticky backed sandpaper wrapped around a 1" hole saw. Worked perfectly !

Added a crossbar

Obviously my welds aren't "artistic" but I know they are solid as a rock and I used a laser level from the seat post to mark all the high spots 360 degrees around the deck framing and went over everything with a flapper sanding disc to ensure the entire deck panel sits flush everywhere possible.
  I also made a decision on the front bow panel area today, I have to finish that design before I can finish any remaining bow framing to tie it all in solid. 
  Drum roll please ....
I decided to go with the harder layout which was my first design way back when but I wasn't happy with the 9 1/2" panel width down to the deck so I made a slight change
I decided to run a 90 degree vertical panel 3" up off the deck and then tie in the bow top panel to this
I transferred the angles to the edges of the front deck

Welded that center section up first, smoothed out all my welds and made it look like a factory transition.

Started on the side sections for each side.

At this point the top panel is still removable so I can gain access to tie in my framing to support these new panels.

I'll finish up the remaining ends tomorrow, clean up the welds and smooth it all out flip it over (deck and all) and weld her up solid from the bottom
Then start on my framing to match this area I'm pretty stoked about this design and have all sorts of idea for placement of access panels, switches and TM plug stuff. 
Thanks for following along, stay tuned !
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Kris

Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Lipripper

Quote from: Kris on March 06, 2018, 05:28:51 PM
WOW!

You got that right. Rick and your pops are doing a great job  ~c~ ~c~ OH and since you ask for one  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Oldfart9999

Rick, are you mounting your sonar on the new panel? If so you may want to put a small access panel so you can get to the wiring and the mount. That's a really nice looking way to close in the bow!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bigwrench

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 07, 2018, 07:05:52 AM
Rick, are you mounting your sonar on the new panel? If so you may want to put a small access panel so you can get to the wiring and the mount. That's a really nice looking way to close in the bow!!!
Rodney
Probably won't mount the big one there, still not sure on the whole configuration yet though lol.
  Had to make a decision and stick with it, so I just cocked both barrels and fired away lol.
There will be some access to the wiring behind all this, just not sure whether I want to just cut a hole for a custom plate, make a door that has hinges or just cut a hole for a sonar unit. If I went sonar I'd just mount a 7–8" in there and still use a ram mount or above TM tray mount system. At the VA now so will be able to play with it more this afternoon.

Bigwrench

Didn't get much time to play today since the VA appointment took longer than expected but here's the results of a few hours playing around this afternoon.
  Started out with a cardboard mock-up of the end panel

Got it all tacked in and flush against the side of the hull.

Did the other side

I'm almost out of 1/8" sheet and I'm using as much small scrap pieces I have laying around that I can. Well this one had a cut on the back side and when I hammered it over to the hull the corner piece popped off lol
  Easy fix though.
Here's a view from one side

Full front view

Going to cut the tacks on the deck tomorrow after another doctors appointment

Welds getting a little better, this one was a little dirty

Remove that entire front bow panel section and weld it up solid from the back, flip it over and weld the front real nice and clean and then really work the front section over so it looks factory with no visible welds.
  Then we will be ready to start wiring the front up and placing all the controls and switches.     Also going to fix that broken corner piece and then start framing it all up so I can tie that section into the new front framing.
   It will be much easier to work it all over on the welding table with much better results and I'll be able to control my heat a lot easier with cooling blocks and damp rags so I won't get any warpage. It's really close to a flush fit now so I should be able to really get it nice and tight if I can control warpage once I get it back on. 

Princeton_Man

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SFL BassHunter

Wow that front end is coming along.
Looks fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Oldfart9999

If you need more 1/8 sheet just take one of the highway signs, tell them I said it was ok!! ~roflmao ~roflmao It's going to look good Rick!!!
Rodney

Bigwrench

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 08, 2018, 06:17:12 AM
If you need more 1/8 sheet just take one of the highway signs, tell them I said it was ok!! ~roflmao ~roflmao It's going to look good Rick!!!
Rodney
Lol that would probably get me in trouble in more ways than one.
  I'm pretty much done with the 1/8" after this. The "V" panel I made is 3/16" and I'll probably use it for the TM mount. I have a bunch of 1/4" tempered  that I want to use for a jack plate  almost a whole sheet of used   1/4" diamond plate.
  Unless I decide to add a side panel to each side of the exposed hull to really seal up the deck, strengthen it up and give it a more solid/clean look,  I should have enough 1/8 laying around still.

Bigwrench

cojab

Nice job making that boat yours and the way you want it!  ~c~ ~c~
TTK has spoken.

Bigwrench

Originally I wanted to sand all the visible corner welds smooth so it would look like factory bends but I may end up leaving some small visible welds but with the primer , heavy paint and texture I don't think they will be that ugly lol.  The reason is I am not sure if they will crack out visibly later on, on the welds I sand down smooth.  Just have to play around with it some and get my head in the game lol.
Here's some of the table progress.

hughesjasonk

As long as you run a bead on the back side I don't see why you can't Sandown the welds on the front.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bigwrench

Quote from: hughesjasonk on March 08, 2018, 05:25:52 PM
As long as you run a bead on the back side I don't see why you can't Sandown the welds on the front.

Thanks brother I'll keep on trucking. It's a lot of work but it is turning out pretty nice this way. Don't think that it will be too bad if I leave the outside welds in place, I'll crank Er up and wash over em a little to make them less prominent. 
I've been running it cold and I'll see how I do with about 130-140 Amp tomorrow.

hughesjasonk

Well the great thing about a TIG is that if you don't like it you can run over it again with out filler

Oldfart9999

The less filler you use while having the parts coming together the better it'll look without losing strength. I used to watch an expert welder weld aluminum studs for power lines when I did deliveries to the company. He would would start the weld with a touch of the filler rod then drag the torch around dipping the rod once every 2 or so inches, made for some very nice looking welds. Years and years of practice.
Rodney

Oldfart9999

Rick, you ok buddy, haven't heard from you in a bit, hope everything's good!!!
Rodney

Lipripper

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 19, 2018, 04:24:16 PM
Rodney
I was beginning to think the same thing myself.

Bigwrench

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 19, 2018, 04:24:16 PM
Rodney
Yeah I am good as can be I guess lol.
Been doing a lot of stuff and will post an update tomorrow. Had to get away from it for a few days last week, it was driving me bonkers lol.

Lipripper

Quote from: Bigwrench on March 19, 2018, 05:38:10 PM
Been doing a lot of stuff and will post an update tomorrow. Had to get away from it for a few days last week, it was driving me bonkers lol.
Glad to hear your OK and your right sometime we need to stop digging and check the rows.  ;D

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Bigwrench on March 19, 2018, 05:38:10 PM

Good deal!!! Just making sure you weren't overwhelmed with Honey dos!! lo
Rodney