16' Bass Attacker Restore ( Pic Heavy)

Started by Bigwrench, March 28, 2014, 09:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigwrench

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 20, 2018, 07:05:23 AM
Good deal!!! Just making sure you weren't overwhelmed with Honey dos!! lo
Rodney
Naw I was just over exerting myself and was plum wore out lol.
    I'm not as good as I once was,  for as long as I used to be good at it lol.
  Weather is turning nasty this evening so there is going to be a big push to get the transom finished and the motor hung today (because the boat has to go 6' out the front of the garage door before I can have room to work on the transom end).
Right now the wiring locations are critical to everything I have to do at the bow panel to finish it up. So I need to hang the motor and get the wiring from that, at least routed in the general locations.
Lots of updates tonight if I can stay awake lol.
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Lipripper

Quote from: Bigwrench on March 20, 2018, 07:36:08 AM
Naw I was just over exerting myself and was plum wore out lol.
    I'm not as good as I once was,  for as long as I used to be good at it lol.
  Weather is turning nasty this evening so there is going to be a big push to get the transom finished and the motor hung today (because the boat has to go 6' out the front of the garage door before I can have room to work on the transom end).
Right now the wiring locations are critical to everything I have to do at the bow panel to finish it up. So I need to hang the motor and get the wiring from that, at least routed in the general locations.
Lots of updates tonight if I can stay awake lol.
We will be looking for your updates when ever you can post them so don't take a bunch of No Doz pills to keep awake.  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Bigwrench

Gonna try to pick up where we left off with the front bow panel  "fiasco"
  So anyways after spending a week working on this piece alone

I cranked the heat up on the torch to smooth it all out and when I got done with the welding I noticed the side corners had curled in about 1/2" !!! Too much heat warped it !! 
  Because it's such an odd shape I am having one heck of a time clamping it and getting it to stay.
   So I got mad at myself and made another top panel out of the diamond plate

I then thought I'd get smart and weld a 1x1 post where the front bow light hole will be so I could clamp to it

I also had to use a c clamp style valve spring compressor since I have no clamps that big.
Well after working on that one for about 2 days I am completely disgusted with it LOL and probably going to trash it and start over again.

If you zoom in close on the photo, the welded edges I smoothed down look great but to get them smooth I had to sand off a lot of the diamond plating in that area, which makes it look strange.
So that's when I took a break and started running the wiring from the on board charger to the TM batteries.

Everything to tucked away and hidden

Used a 1" hole saw to open up my main wiring tube wherever I needed to branch off

I had to add roughly 8' of wiring to my charging leads but I think everything is going to work out because I utilized the same hardware from factory , used twisted wire pairs to reduce feedback and everything was solid soldered and waterproof as well as using a slightly larger gage wiring to reduce potential voltage drop.
  We shall see  
The reasoning for running all this wiring now is I have decided to either build another complete front bow panel or maybe use this last one and I and going to install it at the bow , use a large ratchet strap around the entire hull and pull it all up tight and weld it solid into place before I do any more welding on the panel for a finished look.
I'm hoping this will keep it in check and it will come out the way I want it. Before I can weld it I need to run my wires to the bow panel to basically get them close to the cutouts that will be in that panel where they need to be.
  If that doesn't work I am going to hire someone to build it lol.
  So started on the transom finish
I have a total of 4 large holes to fill in the transom . 2 are drain-outs for the splash-well area and 2 are for the old livewell plumbing . 

The two drain-out holes I cut some 1" X 1/8" tube and stuck through the wooden transom and front and rear plates.

Once that was done I welded up those two bottom holes with a small plate on it the inside of the hull
Started sealing up the top section of the wooden transom by applying a heavy coat of "flex seal" and then brushing it down into the entire area

Installed a top plate to that

Started laying it down lol

All welded up

Didn't get to actually hang the motor today, tomorrow I will install the outside corner caps to the transom and start fabricating the main plate the motor will bolt to.
  If I decide to make a jack plate, this 1/4" tempered plate will also be a part of that so it has to be cut anyways, if I don't then the motor will be bolted directly to it and the transom.
There's a lot I don't have photos of, like the additional bracing I added to the front bow all the way to the front, it's solid as a rock now.
Will try and update more Friday or Saturday. Thanks for following along.
Here's the bracing under the bow panel. 
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

hughesjasonk

In the future if you start having warpage, weld in 2 inch sections and alternate where you're welding, that way you can give the metal time to cool back down before you hit it again. You do the same thing with body panels you do a bunch of spot welds in different spots and then eventually it all meets together.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kris

Maybe keep that upper, diamond plate panel and add play sand to the paint, brush on of course, for traction when wet. Remember, "a coat of paint hides a thousand sins". Flat surfaces need LOTS of prep for paint to look good.
One thing I don't understand. How is the trolling motor mount going to fit with that awesome front panel?
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Oldfart9999

It's coming along Rick, looking more and more like a boat!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bigwrench

Quote from: Kris on March 21, 2018, 05:27:37 AM
Maybe keep that upper, diamond plate panel and add play sand to the paint, brush on of course, for traction when wet. Remember, "a coat of paint hides a thousand sins". Flat surfaces need LOTS of prep for paint to look good.
One thing I don't understand. How is the trolling motor mount going to fit with that awesome front panel?
It's going to be something along these lines

Maybe more at an angle than that panel is right now but the area underneath it will be boxed in and have access storage like a glove box. 

Kris

That'll work. I was just curious because it seemed like that awesome front panel extended quite a way over to the port side. Thanks Rick.

Lipripper

Boy y'all have been busy  ~sweat Looking good though. ~c~ ~c~ Hope you can get that front bow panel figured out. Just remember KISS or measure twice... cur once.  lo lo

cojab

Bigwrench, how you doing? Haven't seen an update so just checking up on you. ~beer~
TTK has spoken.

Bigwrench

Quote from: cojab on March 31, 2018, 04:44:03 PM
Bigwrench, how you doing? Haven't seen an update so just checking up on you. ~beer~

Doing so, so . Not been working on the boat much lately. Storm came through awhile back and destroyed our shingled roof and Dad bought a camper that needs a new roof ASAP so have had to juggle the time around these things lol. Won't be long though. I did fabricate the battery cables for the TM and have a lot of stuff ready to go together but just finding the time and the energy to get it done between the other stuff.
Soccer and baseball are full bore also so we are stretched thin for awhile lol.
Our roof

Camper

Lipripper

Quote from: Bigwrench on April 01, 2018, 08:31:04 AM
Doing so, so . Not been working on the boat much lately. Storm came through awhile back and destroyed our shingled roof and Dad bought a camper that needs a new roof ASAP so have had to juggle the time around these things lol. Won't be long though. I did fabricate the battery cables for the TM and have a lot of stuff ready to go together but just finding the time and the energy to get it done between the other stuff.
Sorry to hear that life has been throwing you some curve balls but I know y'all will bring it home soon.  ;D

cojab

Quote from: Bigwrench on April 01, 2018, 08:31:04 AM

Yep, life never slows down does it. Glad your doing OK.
TTK has spoken.

Kris

Got to give you credit for stick2ativity? I have a stack of stuff around here after my Cardiologist visit on Tuesday.

Oldfart9999

Good to hear you're ok, take your time and do what you have to do, the boat will be there when you get back to it.
Rodney

Oldfart9999

Rick, everything ok there? Haven't heard from you in quite a while so checking up on you to see if you're ok!!!
Rodney

Lipripper

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on April 30, 2018, 06:26:00 AM
Rick, everything ok there? Haven't heard from you in quite a while so checking up on you to see if you're ok!!!
Rodney
Rodney I was wondering the same thing myself. I see Rick on Facebook once and great awhile but not very often. I sure hope he's ok.

Bigwrench

Hanging in their fellas, thanks for checking up on me lol. It's been a constant issue juggling the projects around for awhile now.
  We are up in cheesehead land trying to liquidate Dads assets up here and have no idea where to start lol.
  Never sold a house before so I am as lost as someone can be lol.
  Hopefully we can get back on this project in the next few weeks.

Lipripper

Quote from: Bigwrench on April 30, 2018, 07:25:21 AM
Hanging in their fellas, thanks for checking up on me lol. It's been a constant issue juggling the projects around for awhile now.
  We are up in cheesehead land trying to liquidate Dads assets up here and have no idea where to start lol.
  Never sold a house before so I am as lost as someone can be lol.
  Hopefully we can get back on this project in the next few weeks.
Be sure to get some more of that good cheese while your up there in Cheese head land. ;D

Oldfart9999

Hope you are able to get it all done, didn't have to do that, my folks had moved into a townhouse with yard work and other maintenance taken care of and after my Dad passed my Mom moved into an apartment. Prayers for you guys still coming!!!
Rodney

hughesjasonk

so......... who else is going through withdrawals!?

Princeton_Man

Quote from: hughesjasonk on June 22, 2018, 09:41:54 AM
so......... who else is going through withdrawals!?
I know Rick's got a lot going on between his and his Dad's health issues. Maybe we should put together a team and go finish that thing for him.  :-*
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

hughesjasonk

Quote from: Princeton_Man on June 22, 2018, 09:47:58 AM
I know Rick's got a lot going on between his and his Dad's health issues. Maybe we should put together a team and go finish that thing for him.  :-*
I'm down

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Princeton_Man

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Lipripper

Quote from: Princeton_Man on June 24, 2018, 03:49:04 PM
I love it!
Anyone else?

If I lived closer and had the strength I would be up for it but I don't travel well.  ;D