Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anti-reverse issues  (Read 436 times)

Bassinkorea

• UB Nightshift
  • CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • UB for life - UB Life Member
Anti-reverse issues
« on: April 10, 2014, 07:11:47 PM »

Every winter I tear down my reels and clean/relube them all. For some reason this spring I am having issues with a few of my reels. Occasionally, the anti-reverse just does seem to "lock in" and the reel starts winding backwards.

Any idea what causes this to happen (I hope my explanation makes sense)  lo

BassMan83

• Largemouth
  • I'd rather be fishing!
Re: Anti-reverse issues
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 07:51:27 PM »

What kind of anti-reverse does the reel have? Is it a one-way bearing or a clutch type?

Pro Reel

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 07:51:33 PM »

The common cause is to much lube. You want a thin coat of iol on casting reel anti reverse clutch and no oil at all on most spinning reel anti reverse.
The next cause is cold temps. In cold temps, the parts shrink just enough that they can slip. My own curado did that to me 2 weeks ago while working a jerkbait. I know my AR clutch is in perfect shap and the right amount of lube, It was just cold at like 33 degrees that morning. In that case, we need to remember to keep our thumb on the spool to help it not slip.

Bassinkorea

• UB Nightshift
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 03:03:16 AM »

What kind of anti-reverse does the reel have? Is it a one-way bearing or a clutch type?

They are one way bearing types.

Bassinkorea

• UB Nightshift
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 03:06:21 AM »

The common cause is to much lube. You want a thin coat of iol on casting reel anti reverse clutch and no oil at all on most spinning reel anti reverse.
The next cause is cold temps. In cold temps, the parts shrink just enough that they can slip. My own curado did that to me 2 weeks ago while working a jerkbait. I know my AR clutch is in perfect shap and the right amount of lube, It was just cold at like 33 degrees that morning. In that case, we need to remember to keep our thumb on the spool to help it not slip.

Now that I think about it, it did seem worse early on the morning last weekend. Morning time temps were in the mid 30's and warmed up to the mid 50's in the afternoon.
When servicing my reels I generally don't do anything with the anti-reverse bearings.

Thanks for the response Pro reel!!

GaggiaGod

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 09:51:05 AM »

Based on my experience of trying different lubes in all sorts of weather (20-90 degrees) I find grease to work much better than most oils. Depends on the grease though. Something super slick like Reel Saver has too much teflon in it and the IAR will slip like no tomorrow. *Some companies do offer lubes specifically designed for IAR bearings.* Using grease like Hot Sauce, Super Lube, etc has never caused a single slippage issue for me and won't migrate away from the bearing (especially in warm weather) like most oils do.

Also, you may want to disassemble the IAR from time to time for a good cleaning. I think this is an often overlooked step.

Bassinkorea

• UB Nightshift
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 01:06:01 AM »

Based on my experience of trying different lubes in all sorts of weather (20-90 degrees) I find grease to work much better than most oils. Depends on the grease though. Something super slick like Reel Saver has too much teflon in it and the IAR will slip like no tomorrow. *Some companies do offer lubes specifically designed for IAR bearings.* Using grease like Hot Sauce, Super Lube, etc has never caused a single slippage issue for me and won't migrate away from the bearing (especially in warm weather) like most oils do.

Also, you may want to disassemble the IAR from time to time for a good cleaning. I think this is an often overlooked step.

Good info. Thanks for your input!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 24 queries.