How to mount Lowrance DSI Transducer to trolling motor

Started by dmccoyks, May 22, 2014, 08:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmccoyks

I just received my Elite 4x HDI and I cannot figure out how to mount the transdermal to the trolling motor bracket. I purchased the Lowrance DSI transducer trolling motor mounting kit (000-10261-001), but the instructions are little help. It says you must remove the factory transducer mount from the transducer before you can install the DSI transducer on the trolling motor. This is where I am lost. Does this mean you have pry open the transducer or can anyone help me understand how to mount this thing.

I assumed the transducer would fit right on that bracket then just attach the hose clamp. Did I purchase the wrong kit or do I need to purchase anything else. I would appreciate any help. Picture or a video that shows this would be very helpful. I was hoping to use it to fish today but couldn't figure it out.

Thanks guys

Ron Fogelson

Do you have a TM with the transducer built in?  If so nothing to take off if not you would have to take off the old transducer before putting the new one on,,,,,, if I'm understanding you question.

Ron Fogelson

You could just mount it like this

However this is the better way IMHO

To do that and use the mount you brought you need to take apart the transducer so it looks like this.

Here it is with the factory mount on the transducer.

Tylermsawmiller

I'm not exactly sure of your question, but I think you are trying to figure out how to get the bracket that comes pre attached to the transducer used to secure it to your boats transom. The bracket is attached to the transducer and has a gradual slop upwards that tapers to a screw hole. I don't have a picture of it off hand but in the instructions it should show you how to insert a screw driver between that pre installed bracket and the transducer allowing it to slide off. Once it is off you will be able to place the transducer into the mounting bracket you purchased (looks very similar to the picture above) allowing you to attach it to the trolling motor and securing with a hose clamp.

Hope this helps slightly, or another member will be able to give clearer details, picture, or video of what I tried to describe.

Polaris425

My 5 came with both brackets. Use the one for the TM. band it to the foot like in the picture above.

I would not use the drop hinged bracket on the TM like in Ron's second post first pic, it will most likely get knocked off that way. His first post picture is what you want.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

dmccoyks

Ok, I think I understand now that I do have to remove the factory bracket. I just wanted to make sure before I started breaking something open. In the manual it looks like you insert a screwdriver in the little slots in the front of the transducer with the clear lens. Does it come apart pretty easy or take some work. It must use a very small screwdriver. Thanks for all the quick help. Hopefully can figure this out tom. You guys are great 

dmccoyks

What are the two cable ties and piece of rubber foam to be used for with this kit

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: dmccoyks on May 22, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
What are the two cable ties and piece of rubber foam to be used for with this kit

so you can zip tie the cable to the TM shaft and the foam goes on top of the transducer so it sits between the transducer and the bottom of the TM,,,,, acts as a cushion and provides a little give if/when you smack the TM and transducer into something solid.  v~

Polaris425

Quote from: Ron Fogelson on May 22, 2014, 09:07:11 PM

To do that and use the mount you brought you need to take apart the transducer so it looks like this.

Here it is with the factory mount on the transducer.

Your transducer came already attached to the deal for the hinged bracket (Bottom picture)? Mine came all separate. Like in the top picture, I had to slide the bracket on to the transducer. It came with that one, and the one for the TM.

But yeah you should be able to release it w/ a screw driver.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

dmccoyks

I don't see a tab to depress anywhere on this transducer. Tried prying around edges no luck. Very frustrating. Any other ideas. Here's pic of front of my unit.

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]

Ron Fogelson

Looks like the wrong mount for that transducer,,,,,,,, from the pic you posted it looks to me like a skimmer transducer and the mount you need will look more like this one in the pic.

Bobby Saffel

It appears you got the wrong kit. The kit you got was for down scan transducers like the one Ron has. The transducer in you picture is the traditional skimmer style and it will not fit.

If your need a mount for that model I suggest checking transducer shield and saver. They're sold at places like bass pro and I believe academy. You can order them as well. They make a ton if different shields for different brands and applications. Lowrance doesn't make a trolling motor mount that protects the arm of the transducer and snaps it off if you hit something. Basically the transducer shield cups the transducer and uses two pieces of rubber to hold it against the housing to keep it from moving and a big hose clamp holds everything together. Best part is if you break the arm off the shield will still work because it doesn't use the arm to hold the transducer. Same concept as the one you got. They're $40 and last forever. You won't be disappointed I promise.

Bobby Saffel

If you'd like I'll get my old shield and tranducer and show you how to put it together.

dmccoyks

Thanks Bobby that makes sense now. read about the shield and save and that is what your recommending correct? I guess only other option is use standard transducer mount with hose clip like pictured above.

Any recommendations how to keep the all the wiring dry. I have read some users use PVC and run wiring thru it.

Bobby Saffel

If you have the traditional skimmer and you fish any places with stumps and there's a chance you could hit something with your TM the transducer shield is the way to go. Lowrance makes good products to protect their down scan transducers but nothing for their skimmers. I've banged transducer shield into a ton of stuff and ran it up shallow with no issues.

As far as the cable, I wouldn't worry about it, zip tie it with BLACK zip ties to the shaft, leave a little loop where the two shafts connect and go all the way up around the cables to the fish finder. I've never had a problem with the cables getting damaged, it was always the transducer itself. Hope this helps.

dmccoyks

Ok great. Are you guys telling me my transducer is not the downscan one? It said it came with the 83/200/455/800 transducer. If not I need to return this right away.

Bobby Saffel

The typical downs transducer is round, not much bigger than a sharpie, and about the same length. That's what is in Ron's pictures and what's on my boat. I have strictly a down scan unit. On your that does both, it may be a different style. If look on lowrance's web page or call them. I don't think someone swapped it on you. I'd verify with them that you go the right transducer and proceed with installation.

dmccoyks

Ok thanks, I will contact the company and go from there.