yo zuri hybrid vs 100% fluorocarbon

Started by mahdi, June 17, 2014, 05:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahdi

I was wondering which one is better. Yo zuri hybrid is abrasion resistent and low memory which is a benefit. But is it invisible in water and sensitive like 100% fluorocarbon?
Soft plastic fishing, its as easy as pie

Eric-Maine

Very broad question. If I had to choose one over the other for every application I would pick the Yozuri. With Yozuri I respool before every tournament @$17 for 200 yards I  change leader lengths of Invi"woops" as needed.

Wizard

I won a case of Yo-zuri hybrid when it first came out. I tried 3 spools from the case and broke off so many bass I gave the case away. Now, I may have gotten some defective line or because it was a new product but for me, I am now snakebit on the product. I haven't tried it since that time. I use fluoro for about 30% of my fishing, 20% braid and 50% mono. They all have thier place and time.

loomisguy

I've fished yo zuri some and thought it was ok, but I think there are better co poly's like Mcoy's . If your looking for a bottom contact line I would stick with the 100%.

mahdi

I fish mostly shallow water with soft plastics, cranks, soft plastics, soft plastics..........                            Is yo zuri hybrid good for things like that. I'm also looking for some distance and low memory since im a shore fisherman

Dark3

So what is the selling point of this stuff??

LgMouthGambler

I like YoZuri line. I think the 12# is some of the most versatile line that I have ever come across. I had some spooled on my Curado50E and had taken that thing to South Carolina and fished Lake Murray with it and it held up fine in the underwater trees. Also fished in Maine with it in the pads, and it never broke off. Even landed a nice 6lber that I had pulled out of some cover, no problems. For some reason my local BPS doesnt carry YoZuri anymore, and they seem to not be refilling the shelves. If you are fishing from shore and looking for that "do it all" line, I highly recommend it. You can get a 600yd spool of it for really cheap too. As far as visibility, its pretty much the same as any mono out there, and the fish dont seem to mind.  ~shade
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

bigjim5589

I like the Yozuri Hybrid too, so much so I use it for my fly rod leaders. I don't believe any line is "invisible" to the fish. They know it's there, but I don't believe they can relate it to anything negative so whether they see it or not is not an issue IMO.
I first tried the Hybrid because the fluoro coating was advertised to make it more abrasion resistant than mono, yet less costly than straight fluoro.

I've never had the breaking problems with it, but do recall that issue being a problem for some when it first came out.

The only straight fluoro I've used has been for fly rod tippets. I have a couple of spools of Triple Fish fluoro. I'm not convinced it's any better than the Hybrid for the fishing I do.  Personal preference I think.

No line is perfect for every application & there's certainly lines that can be used for many applications. I use Hi Vis braid for jigs & some plastics, topwater frogs, lipless lures and even some big saltwater lures, both topwater & subsurface when fishing for Striped Bass.

I like the Yozuri for crankbaits because it does have some stretch, for spinnerbaits, and for some light jigs I use in streams for bass. For plastics such as grubs it's fine too. For the small stream jigs I could use 15 lb braid, which is the lightest braid I will use, but the Yozuri is better for abrasion, and many of the streams have enough rocks in them to make it a better choice over braid. Besides the Hybrid is less costly too for the same application. Either would work, but cost is a deciding factor.

I've used the Hybrid quite a bit with casting spoons & bucktails for Striper Fishing, and it's excellent for that purpose. Again, I could use braid as well. I know I could mono too, because I did that for many years. Fluoro probably would be just as good, but not necessarily better.

Otherwise, I use Ande or Silver Thread brand mono's, and have been using them for many years, but now primarily for panfishing. I also have some Berkley Big Game on some of my surf spinning rods, but don't use it for bass fishing. Have in the past, but like the Hybrid better.

For me, for the price, the Hybrid has good abrasion resistance, reasonably low memory, and reasonable stretch. Plus, I can see it well enough without it being Hi Vis. Very good compromise of features I look for in a line for bass & other types of fishing I do.  ;)

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Creel Limit Zero

Be careful, as the Yozuri hybrid has a fluro coating, but for all intensive purposes it is a mono line with a fluoro coating.  It will float, while a 100% fluorocarbon line will sink.  So this is the main difference.  The fluoro coating should make it more abrasion resistant than a straight mono.  If you are looking for a floating line that is more abrasion resistant than a straight mono, this is a good choice.   

bigjim5589

Hey Creel, that's a good point about the differences, but frankly I've never seen where that matters a lot since most of us are using fairly short casts so there's not enough line out to matter & enough weight to overcome that tendency. However, in weightless or very light weight presentations, with long casts or possibly trolling (if you do this) where a lot of line may be out, it could change things & affect sinks rates or diving depths. I know that trollers who use crankbaits often have to run lighter lines & add extra weight to get the same lure down to specific depths because of that buoyancy of mono compared fluoro.
;)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Creel Limit Zero

Indeed Bigjim, I personally use a copolymer myself for many applications.  I no longer use any mono, as the price difference for a good copolymer far outweigh the extra cost for it.  But there are times in a lot of wind that the sinking characteristics of fluoro really help lessen the bow in your line.  There are some applications fluoro just works for me, like on a windy day.  But it comes at a significant cost... 

bigjim5589

Creel, that's another good & often over looked point! When I said "mono" I was including copolymer lines in there as well, even though there can be differences between them.

In my above post I mentioned using Ande & Silver Thread. The Ande I use is a mono line, while the Silver Thread is in fact a copolymer. As far as comparisons to fluoro, both are more similar than different.

Creel Limit Zero

Quote from: bigjim5589 on June 18, 2014, 01:17:00 PM
As far as comparisons to fluoro, both are more similar than different.

Absolutely right there, that's my observations as well, and why I only use the fluoro for a few applications.  It just cost too darn much.... ~xyz

bigjim5589

Yes, cost is a concern and in this state we have to save everything we can for such expenses as "rain taxes" or "mileage taxes"!   ~xyz

mahdi

I ordered yo zuri hybrid to try it out. Lets see what happens. ~cf ~cf ~cf

mahdi

This line is INCREDIBLE! :surrender: :surrender: The line was pretty tough and stiff. Its knot strength was amazing. Very low in stretch. The line was almost like braid, but thinner. My casting distance also increased big time. You guys should really get this stuff, trust me. The only bad part was the memory was a little high but still manageable. I used 12 pound test in the green color.

Eric-Maine

A tip to help with memory: After spooling, out side hook up to a tree or something and walk away to a little more than a long cast distance taking care not to let the line touch anything. Next stretch the line by pumping the rod a few times then reel as you walk back keeping a tight line.

LgMouthGambler

KVD L&L works great for the line. Spray on the night before fishing, and a bit just before fishing.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.