Your first baitcaster?

Started by Polaris425, June 29, 2014, 05:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polaris425

This was mine, got it in the late 80's from my aunt, when my uncle passed away. I was probably 8 ish. Used it for a long time, well into my 20's. It sits on my cedar stump now, which also has lures hung on it that I've found.

Abu Ambassador Mag1. Wish I knew when it was made.

Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Polaris425

Here's the stump I mentioned. Looks like I need to rearrange them a little, a few have fell. The frog on top was my grandfathers.

Fishin' Alabama

Smallie_Stalker

I still have mine. It is mounted on a metal rod and has no levelwind. You can turn the handle in either direction!   :o
I think I was around the same age, maybe 7 or 8 when my dad started me using it. I will have to find some time to dig it out of storage and put up a pic.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Gwamba

Dad gave me his original South Bend 5.5 foot metal rod and direct drive matching level wind reel circa 1955 or 56 when I started at 6 yrs old...

My first purchase was a Lews 6' MH black glass rod and BB1 back in about 1967...Caught a lot of bass on that rod  ;D

Still catchin em on Lews... 47 years later... ~gf
Dobyns Rods   Piscifun Reels   Xcite Baits 
Rapala  Strike King

steve76

My first was a Mitchell X200. Cheap reel I bought at Wal-Mart to learn on.

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]

Tavery5

Quote from: Polaris425 on June 29, 2014, 05:51:20 PM
This was mine, got it in the late 80's from my aunt, when my uncle passed away. I was probably 8 ish. Used it for a long time, well into my 20's. It sits on my cedar stump now, which also has lures hung on it that I've found.
Abu Ambassador Mag1. Wish I knew when it was made.

Mag 1 was produced sometime  around 1985

Tavery5

Not my first but it was one of the early ones I owned.
Shimano Mag Plus 250Xsg XHS (Xtra High Speed 5.1:1)  Shakespeare 5'6" graphite composite rod.
Reel was purchased from Woolworth Woolco in about 1983 for about $70 dollars, which was a lot of money back then for a fishing reel.

Polaris425

Quote from: Tavery5 on June 29, 2014, 06:36:09 PM
Mag 1 was produced sometime  around 1985

Thanks. I guess that means he had only had it a short time then, he passed away in 87.
Fishin' Alabama

Tavery5

Quote from: Polaris425 on June 29, 2014, 06:54:02 PM
Thanks. I guess that means he had only had it a short time then, he passed away in 87.

Could have been a little earlier than that, maybe 1983, I just remember it being one of the first magnetic baitcasting reels that I can remember.  I graduated H.S. in 1983 and  remember this reel in showcases around that time frame.

Donald Garner

Mine was a Green Abu Garcia 5000D.  It was purchased in 1973 I had it matched with a Lew's pistol grip 6ft MH casting rod.  The whole rig cost less than $50.00 dollars back then.   I don't have it any more but there was some trying / fun times learning how to use it.     

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Pferox

I inherited a Shakespeare round level wind from my cousin's husband, probably boyfriend back then. I think it was a True Blue, but not exactly sure. Don't think it had any breaks on it, more like a conventional reel than anything else. It was probably made in the 60s or a little before.

We mostly fished for panfish and catfish back then and man did I catch a bunch on that reel.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

fleurdelisxliv

My first was a abu red 5500
@fleurdelisxliv

LgMouthGambler

Mine was a Shimano Curado200B. While I don't have the original one, I do have a mint 200B on my shelf now as remembrance.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

MCS

I learned on a buddies Abu Ultra Mag I but my first one I bought was a Quantum Energy PT VI 7.1:1 burner.
Romans 1:16    2 Corinthians 5:17     3 John 1:4
"I'm sorry. I'm not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything." Mike Ditka
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living." John Wayne

Cheap Hooker

My First reel in the 60's Garcia Mitchell 300 on a 6'6" Shakespeare Ted Williams Approved rod, purchased from Sears with on big old ugly aluminum ferrell in the middle! Was like a Bull Whip

Then many years later my first Bait caster was a Pflueger Trion
after trying about 15  to 20 other reels that is what I went back to, only reel I use now .I was able to get a few on closeout for 45 bucks when the discontinued them last year.
I like fishing because it is not working

FlatsNBay

My first baitcaster was a Daiwa Pro-Lite PL100. I saw it at Woolworth when I was a kid. I walked into the store every week just to pick it up and feel it until I could save up enough money to buy it. It was a great reel! Oh, the memories with that thing!

Dennis1022

My very first Bait caster was the Abu Garcia Cardinal Red round reel. I never got the hand on it, I've tried more and more but still never got the nack of it. I had my 1st brother in-law and he used bait casting but he said if you want to use this you need to use it every day. I tried it for about a month of not one fish from that reel, so I gave it to my in-law. But now I use Silver Max and Black Max also BassPro Tournament and cabela's Tournament reel. The hardest thing to me is perfection of casting at a certain area it goes alittle off.
Dennis iyankapiMatho ( RunningBear )
       Wakan tanan kici un yelo
  ( May the Great Spirit Bless You )

Polaris425

^ that's where standing in the yard with a dog bowl comes in. Lol put it out in the yard and cast at it over and over.
Fishin' Alabama

Brocksdad1

Mine was a Team Diawa 103HD Mag Force V 
Left hand. Got it used at a local bait shop for 15 bucks. And still use it. I have 4 lb test on it on a 6ft medium rod for crappie cranking.
This is not a hobby for me, its a sick addiction. Now my son has the problem...isnt it great!!!

I would like to take this time to thank Bass for biteing my lures and bringing me joy.

cbburke

Mine was the Bass Pro Qualifier - I wanted to have something to learn on without crappy stuff

Next thing I knew, I start buying those high end stuff which cost me a fortune  ~b~
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

njpaulc

Wasn't really a baitcaster, Penn 65.  Fished with my dad off the Marine Parkway Bridge. 50 foot drop to the water, 3 ounce sinker, your thumb leaned real fast.  Every 3 or 4 backlashes, my dad gave me a dope slap.  Learned how to pick 'em out pretty quick.

Years later, I used my friends Ambassadeur 5500c reel, and it was an extension of my arm.  Bridge fishing really educated my thumb.

tholmes

First baitcaster was a Shakespeare 1920 Wondereel on a 5'6" Shakespeare steel rod, given to me by my grandpa in 1962 when I was 10 years old. I fished that rig for several years.

That was followed by an Ambassadeur 5000, Shakespeare 1980 President II, Daiwa Millionare 5H, Pfleuger Supreme 511, Ryobi AD4000V, Shimano B100 Mag and BTX 100 Mag, then I finally settled on the round Ambassadeurs as my reel of choice and haven't found a convincing reason to change yet.

Tom

There are no magic lures, and the fish don't care what you paid for your gear.