POWER PRO+FLURO LEADER

Started by LARRY, March 06, 2006, 02:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARRY

Hello all,

I think I am going to switch over to POwer Pro and use a fluro leader.  Now I have been told a Uni to Uni knot is the way to go but I am having a tough time with it.

I did try the Surgeons knot and it seems very simple. 

First question, what do you folks think of using a surgeons knot? and lastly what are your thoughts of Power Pro?

I'll use mainly on spinning tackle 10lb (mono)  I'll also spool on the power pro on my b caster for spinnerbait fishing.

thanks much

Larry

Ron Fogelson

Take it for what its worth as everyone has an opinion.  ;D

But when joining those two types of line I would also use the surgeons knot.  Why you ask? because with a Uni to Uni knot what you have is tow knots, two chances of heat build up two additional week points in your line in addition to the line its self and the knot on your lure.  With a surgeons knot its all in one the lines are joined together to form one knot.

Thats my $.50 worth.

Fogy

Warpath

Well, I can't disagree with Fogy's logic.  But I have always used a uni to uni knot and haven't had any issues.  As long as you are using similar line sizes.  For instance.  If you are using 12 # braid, use a 12 # fluoro leader. 

The easiest way to avoid having a knot failure is to re-tie, re-tie, re-tie.  I heard that from Dion Hibdon at one of the Bassmaster Universities I attended.  If he has time to re-tie...so do you.

Eric

LAURASDAD

Thanks for your replies.  Is the Surgeons knot fairly reliable?  I have never joined 2 lines before.

What are your opinions of Power Pro?  I hear it is a great line but has a visibility issue.  thus the fluro leader.

thanks again

larry

Kal-Kevin

I use to use Power pro and never had a minute trouble with it as a matter of fact I tried Stern to replace it and had no trouble with it. Now I weed to figure out which one I'm go to stay with this year!  :-\

I loved power pro for in the weeds and in tight area with sharp rocks, it seamed to hold up real good. never lost a fish on it unless I messed up!  ;)

Warpath

Well, I honestly never had much issue with the color of Power Pro.  Using the fluoro leader eliminates that entirely.  The line itself is a great line.  It is super sensitive, super strong, and reliable.  I only use it on one reel and that's my heavy pitching rod.  Everything else I like mono for.  I like a little give on crankbaits and spinnerbaits, so I use mono.  I do use fluoro more, since the water here in SW Ohio is generally clearer than central Ohio.  I just moved here last year.  I would say I use mono 90% of the time, 5% braid, and 5% fluoro.

Eric

Pferox

I've had a a few times where my uni to uni knot actually cut through the leader under heavy strain...that is your weakest link.

Man I dunno why, but I can't get a surgeon's know to hold for nothin....I must be doin something wrong, and its easy...all it is, is a square knot with an extra twist.  :'(
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

OutdoorFrontiers

I've been using PowerPro since it first came out.  I fish a wide variety of water, from severely stained to crystal clear (seeing the bottom in 20+ feet and the smallies were bedding in 12 feet). 

When I first started using superlines, I tied on a clear mono leader using an Uni-Uni knot.  After a while, I realized that I didn't need a leader at all!  Personally, I think that a line's visability is way overrated!  Think about it, a fish's brain isn't even developed enough to have pain receptors, do you really think that he's going to look at your lure and say "Hmmm, I see a line coming off the front of that lure, I don't believe I'll eat it!"????  I don't believe that and now tie my line directly to the lure and it hasn't seemed to have any effect on my fishing success.   ~c~

To settle an argument, I fished Yo-Zuri Hybrid in the front of my boat, my guide service partner fished behind me.  We were using identical rods (I built them both) and he caught as many, if not more smallies in a clear water lake as I did.  We were sight-fishing them and were able to watch the fish's reaction to the lure.  There appeared to be no difference in the way the fish attacked the lure.

Where there was a difference however was that Gil was able to feel more strikes and get a more positive hookset, thus landing more fish than I!   ~xyz

I have PowerPro on 23 of my 25 rods and reels, that's how much I like the stuff.  When I hear someone complaining about having problems with superlines such as PowerPro, it's typically the following.

#1  I get backlashes all the time with this stuff - This is because the line is put too loosly on the spool or because the line diameter is too small.  You have to have a lot of tension on the line as it's wound on the spool or else it will "cut down" into the spool.  This is a sure way of getting a backlash!  Also, because of it's fine diameter, you have to use a heavier pound test than you're used to using.  I use the same diameter equivilent to mono, using 30, 50, 65 and 80 pound test on my baitcasting equipment and 8 or 10 pound on my spinning tackle.

#2  The line spins on the spool - This happens because this type of line is very slippery.  When I tie the line to the spool, I secure it to the spool with a small square of electrical tape.  You can put on a small amount of mono backing to eliminate this problem too, but I prefer to have the line uninterrupted all the way from the lure to the spool.

#3  I lose fish with since I switched to this line - Sure, that's because you either haven't got the drag set properly or you're still doing the MONO-Gorilla hookset.  I used to rock the boat on a hookset with mono and when I switched to PowerPro, I was ripping HUGE tears in the fish.  Then, the hook could easily fall or tear out if too little or too much pressure was applied.  I now have my drags set so that it gives a little on the hookset and switched to a "wrist-flick" hook set and my catch ratio has gone up!  You have to remember that there's absolutely NO stretch in PowerPro and adjust accordingly.  That means too that you'll have to be ready to follow a fish down with the rod when they make that boatside run or have the drag set to slip or you'll tear fish off.

#4  Backlashes are too hard to pick out - Nope, actually I've found that backlashes are now easier, providing you have the right size line on the reel in the first place.  It doesn't matter if you kink PowerPro, because unlike mono or flouro lines, it won't weaken the line.  You can now yank just as hard as you want and have no worries! 

#5  The line is expensive -  Sure it is, but it actually saves you money in the long run.  I guide so the equipment gets used a lot.  Many of the clients I take out are not familiar with baitcasting equipment and backlash a fair amount.  With mono line, I was constantly replacing the kinked line with fresh line, often several times a week.  That starts to run into serious money if you're using a decent mono line.   :shocking:   I don't have to do this any longer.  PLUS, I fill the spool with PowerPro.  After a season or two of use, it gets fuzzy and nicked up.  I reverse the line, running it from one reel to another and use the unused "back half" of the line on the different reel, doubling it's life!  Now that's value!   ~c~

I really like it, especially up here in the north country.  Even though I guide for bass, we have a lot of northern pike and muskies roaming the waters.  It used to get expensive when a "toothy critter" would grab my expensive crankbaits and spinnerbaits.  PowerPro is much more resistant to cut-offs (but not impervious) and we now catch a lot of bonus pike and muskies while bass fishing.  So I don't have to buy as many lures as I once did.

I like too the finer diameter.  It means that I can get deeper with crankbaits, fish lighter weight jigs deeper or in current because of the reduced surface area of the line resisting against the water.

The no stretch properties of the line means that I feel many subtle bites that might have otherwise gone undetected and I get killer hooksets, even when a fish hits on the end of a long cast.

The no stretch means too that when I set a hook on a fish in heavy cover, it's coming out!   ~shade  AND, it's incredible strength means that I get snagged lures back more often.  In many instances, the hook will straighten out before the line breaks.

I also have better feel of the lure's action and can tell when I have a weed on the lure.  A quick snap of the wrist in many instances breaks the weed off and it has the bonus of often times triggering a savage strike!   ;D

I love the stuff and actually find the stretch of mono line to be distracting.  The only time now that I fish mono is when using a slip bobber for walleyes or crappies.  The PowerPro will "fuzz up" as it breaks in and it doesn't slip through the bobber as easily.

Sorry to be so long winded...... aa

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

Warpath

No, I think you made a lot of great points.  I like the line a lot, I just don't see the need for it around here.

You have to make sense...........we have the same last name, and I'm about the most sane person on this web site.  I think? 

Eric

Jerry Holston Jr

I have been using Power Pro for several years and really like it.  I have always used  the Albright knot or Reverse Albright and have never had any problems.
Mid Buckeye Division of Bait

B.A.I.T.

Pro Staff Lure Tamer
Pro Staff Parasite Weights
Pro Staff JDC Baits
Knox Marine, Graham Automall, Ocean Wav

OutdoorFrontiers

Warpath,

I agree, it's probably not for everyone, but for my applications, the stuff is great!

If you have any problems with sensitivity, feeling bites or putting the spurs to a fish, try it.  

I love it for finesse fishing, especially light-biting walleyes.  I can honestly tell the difference when I'm dragging my jig and the bottom composition changes.  I can even feel a hit many times when line watching doesn't reveal a thing!   :o

Steve

LoonyToon

~c~ ~c~ Steve, that was a well written articulate article on Power-Pro and I whole heartedly agree, but I switched to Spider-Wire Stealth as I got about the same Spectra fibers and windings except on the spools offered here for the $$$ I get 150 yrds vs. 110 yrds for about the same $$$ with the Stealth being a tad cheaper....Stealth is $9.92 at Wal-Mart and Power-Pro is $10.49........The only rod I still use Power-Pro on is my Swinging rod as I can get 40lb test in Power-Pro here (Which has the diameter of 10lb mono), but no Stealth.............I use some mono as backing on the Catalyst Reels, but do the tape method on the Okumas.........I also found that if you let line out/cast the best you can--then mark it with tape across the reel, your backlash will only go that far--it stops at the tape

Keep the Rod Tip up and the Hook Sharp

Pferox

I use 20lb power pro for my Speckled Perch rods, but changed to Fireline, and Ripchord for my other rods.
I have had a couple spools of power pro in 20lb cut off real badly on sharp objects, like shell beds and concrete.
I've also found that Salt Water deteriorates power pro quickly.

I do think power pro a great line tho, just not applicable for my situation. I prefer the dacron tracer in the line, seems to resist salt alot better.

Silversalmon uses tuff line, in cold salt water, I'm gonna try it down here and see how it works. I'll let yall know what happens.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Pferox

I don't know if I posted this, but its worth repeatin.

If you are using a leader, be carefull with the uni to uni knot, I have had instances with mono, and Vanish where the braided line actually cut into the leader material, and on heavy pulls it actually cut through the line, at the time I was doing 3 turns per side, I have changed to doing 6 turns per knot, but the jury is still out on this.

I'm beginning to agree with Outdoors on this, even if you use hi vis yellow, the fish don't notice, heck I know guys using 7 strand steel leaders in gin clear water on those "leader shy" finnin snook and redfish in tidal pools and catchin em by the bunches.

topcat

Pferox...what other knot can you use to tie the lines to gather....I
have a problem tying the Surgeons Knot...I know its me....can't figure out what I am doing wrong.......

Topcat

bassindude

Steve, you sold me.  I'm gonna give it a shot. since berkley bought Stren I'm kinda leery about it.  One thought on spooling on line though, if it should be really tight when you put it on, when you make that first cast doesn't that allow the line to  loosen?  Thats why I never really pay too much attention to how I put the line on.  I usually have my wife hold the spool on a pencil and keep her thumb on it for tension, and have had no problems.  It seems to me that once you make a cast the tension is what it is when you wind it back on.  I have heard that when you reel the line off the spool it should come off of either the top or the botton but I can't remember which, any thought on that.
Jim ><///'>><///'>

Pferox

Bassindude, usually when you cast you might see some loosening of the spool insignificantly on the first couple of layers.....farther down the spool, it stays pretty tight for quite a long while.
As that looseness moves down the spool after a number of casts you can play the line out while on the boat and rewind it, that will tighten it up quickly. I'm sorry I can't explain it scientifically but that is about how you observe what happens.

TC, I have been thinkin about a blood knot, I had done it before with mixed results, but that was because I'm not that fluent in tying it, not the knot itself. And like you I can't tie a surgeon's knot for squat.

OutdoorFrontiers

Bassindude,

Yeah, you're right, once you start casting, the line won't be as tight as it was when you first put it on.  But the important thing is to get as much line on, as tight as you can.  Then you have a solid base for the looser, used line.  If I find that I'm getting a bunch of loose line and it's beginning to create a problem (usually it just looks bad, but doesn't cause problems casting), I motor out to the deepest part of the lake and tie on my largest, deep-diving crankbait.

I'll cast it out as far as I can, then with the reel in freespool, motor away, paying out line until I'm well back into the tight-packed line.  Then I shut off the motor and start reeling the lure back in.  A hard cranking, deep diving lure will put sufficient pressure to repack the spool, and I occasionally get the bonus fish while doing this!   :shocking:

Steve

topcat

Bassindude....In the reel boxes of all my new reels it shows the line coming off the top of the spool......I spool all of my line on that way.

I purchased a spoolinf station.....made by Berkley it really works well it helps to ensure level filling and constant line tension.........

Topcat

topcat

Pferox...thanks for the information...about the knot.....I think I will try the blood knot...let you know how it goes.......

Topcat

bassindude

Thanks for all the good info guys.
Jim ><///'>><///'>

cjr4497

i love my power pro. i have tried justabout all of the braid on the market and i liked powerpro and stren the best. the power pro is stiffer and thus managable.

when you buy the string, it comes with instructions on how to tie leaders to it and lures.

GotstaFish

Quote from: OutdoorFrontiers on March 06, 2006, 06:44:00 PM
I've been using PowerPro since it first came out.  I fish a wide variety of water, from severely stained to crystal clear (seeing the bottom in 20+ feet and the smallies were bedding in 12 feet). 

When I first started using superlines, I tied on a clear mono leader using an Uni-Uni knot.  After a while, I realized that I didn't need a leader at all!  Personally, I think that a line's visability is way overrated!  Think about it, a fish's brain isn't even developed enough to have pain receptors, do you really think that he's going to look at your lure and say "Hmmm, I see a line coming off the front of that lure, I don't believe I'll eat it!"????  I don't believe that and now tie my line directly to the lure and it hasn't seemed to have any effect on my fishing success.   ~c~

To settle an argument, I fished Yo-Zuri Hybrid in the front of my boat, my guide service partner fished behind me.  We were using identical rods (I built them both) and he caught as many, if not more smallies in a clear water lake as I did.  We were sight-fishing them and were able to watch the fish's reaction to the lure.  There appeared to be no difference in the way the fish attacked the lure.

Where there was a difference however was that Gil was able to feel more strikes and get a more positive hookset, thus landing more fish than I!   ~xyz

I have PowerPro on 23 of my 25 rods and reels, that's how much I like the stuff.  When I hear someone complaining about having problems with superlines such as PowerPro, it's typically the following.

#1  I get backlashes all the time with this stuff - This is because the line is put too loosly on the spool or because the line diameter is too small.  You have to have a lot of tension on the line as it's wound on the spool or else it will "cut down" into the spool.  This is a sure way of getting a backlash!  Also, because of it's fine diameter, you have to use a heavier pound test than you're used to using.  I use the same diameter equivilent to mono, using 30, 50, 65 and 80 pound test on my baitcasting equipment and 8 or 10 pound on my spinning tackle.

#2  The line spins on the spool - This happens because this type of line is very slippery.  When I tie the line to the spool, I secure it to the spool with a small square of electrical tape.  You can put on a small amount of mono backing to eliminate this problem too, but I prefer to have the line uninterrupted all the way from the lure to the spool.

#3  I lose fish with since I switched to this line - Sure, that's because you either haven't got the drag set properly or you're still doing the MONO-Gorilla hookset.  I used to rock the boat on a hookset with mono and when I switched to PowerPro, I was ripping HUGE tears in the fish.  Then, the hook could easily fall or tear out if too little or too much pressure was applied.  I now have my drags set so that it gives a little on the hookset and switched to a "wrist-flick" hook set and my catch ratio has gone up!  You have to remember that there's absolutely NO stretch in PowerPro and adjust accordingly.  That means too that you'll have to be ready to follow a fish down with the rod when they make that boatside run or have the drag set to slip or you'll tear fish off.

#4  Backlashes are too hard to pick out - Nope, actually I've found that backlashes are now easier, providing you have the right size line on the reel in the first place.  It doesn't matter if you kink PowerPro, because unlike mono or flouro lines, it won't weaken the line.  You can now yank just as hard as you want and have no worries! 

#5  The line is expensive -  Sure it is, but it actually saves you money in the long run.  I guide so the equipment gets used a lot.  Many of the clients I take out are not familiar with baitcasting equipment and backlash a fair amount.  With mono line, I was constantly replacing the kinked line with fresh line, often several times a week.  That starts to run into serious money if you're using a decent mono line.   :shocking:   I don't have to do this any longer.  PLUS, I fill the spool with PowerPro.  After a season or two of use, it gets fuzzy and nicked up.  I reverse the line, running it from one reel to another and use the unused "back half" of the line on the different reel, doubling it's life!  Now that's value!   ~c~

I really like it, especially up here in the north country.  Even though I guide for bass, we have a lot of northern pike and muskies roaming the waters.  It used to get expensive when a "toothy critter" would grab my expensive crankbaits and spinnerbaits.  PowerPro is much more resistant to cut-offs (but not impervious) and we now catch a lot of bonus pike and muskies while bass fishing.  So I don't have to buy as many lures as I once did.

I like too the finer diameter.  It means that I can get deeper with crankbaits, fish lighter weight jigs deeper or in current because of the reduced surface area of the line resisting against the water.

The no stretch properties of the line means that I feel many subtle bites that might have otherwise gone undetected and I get killer hooksets, even when a fish hits on the end of a long cast.

The no stretch means too that when I set a hook on a fish in heavy cover, it's coming out!   ~shade  AND, it's incredible strength means that I get snagged lures back more often.  In many instances, the hook will straighten out before the line breaks.

I also have better feel of the lure's action and can tell when I have a weed on the lure.  A quick snap of the wrist in many instances breaks the weed off and it has the bonus of often times triggering a savage strike!   ;D

I love the stuff and actually find the stretch of mono line to be distracting.  The only time now that I fish mono is when using a slip bobber for walleyes or crappies.  The PowerPro will "fuzz up" as it breaks in and it doesn't slip through the bobber as easily.

Sorry to be so long winded...... aa

Steve
I agree 100% . I to have Power Pro on 15 out of 16 of my rods. Can't say enough about it and the people who complain are just not use to the fact that it casts with less effort and you need to tame you hook sets. Everything Steve said was right on the money.
[Please enable JavaScript to see this content]