Curado I or Chronarch E?

Started by centerfieldr162, August 04, 2014, 10:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

centerfieldr162

Hey yall... I'm sure there has been a lot of discussion on this subject but I wanted to know what yall thought. I have a Chronarch that I absolutely love. Is it better than the Curado I? I know it's priced higher right now but I wasn't sure if that really meant much in their comparison. I also haven't handled a Curado I yet.

I have a Lews Team Gold that collects dust and has only been used once because I didn't ever want to take it in brackish water and I am thinking of putting it up on the market and replacing it with a reel I will actually use. I love my Chronarch so I was going to get another one of those or a Lews BB1 Inshore because I have one and love it also, but wanted to give the Curado I some discussion.

Thanks in advance
Katelyn

Dark3

The curado I is a solid reel and worth every penny. The E is a great reel too. I would pretty much put them on an even playing field. Either one is a great choice and for me it would come down to the price.

LgMouthGambler

They can both do brackish, just make sure to give a good rinsing after.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Pro Reel

The I actually has a newer and better design with the gearing. There has been a lot of speculation that the Chronarch E will soon be discontinued because the I actually has more features and a newer , improved design, at a lower price.

Mike Cork

Well, I have two curado I's and love them. Would you be as happy with a Curado over the Chronarch? Really only you would know that.

It would be easier to help if you could tell us what features you like about the Chronarch and then we could compare them for you. Or maybe someone on here that has had both can help out.

I know several chronarch users that have switched to the Curado I for price reasons and they say they can't tell the difference in their fishing. That said I know a couple Calais users that switched to the Chronarchs and again are very pleased.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

TNBassin

I really like my Chronarchs, but I feel the Curado I offers a tad better performance for less money. The best bang for the buck right now is the Tatula. They can be had for around $90.

Captk88

So far I personally have not been impressed with the new Curado. It already makes noise and I have had the side plate open several time in the middle of a cast due to the button moving forward on its own. I have about a dozen chronarchs and love them, they are by far the best reel for the money Shimano makes. I have contacted Shimano and all they could tell me is they had no such knowledge because the reel is so new and would gladly warranty the reel but its not something wrong with reel it seems to me a design flaw. I would much rather pay the extra $20-$30 and get the chroarch and have a great reel. Just personal opinion.

TNBassin

You're the first to report that issue about the side plate opening. Really u can't go wrong with the Chronarch or Curado. I had 3 Chronarchs and now I'm down to one. Switching between the 2 sees little difference in performance though I think the Chronarch is a tad smoother on the retrieve.

centerfieldr162

I think I'm going to go with a Chronarch simply for the fact that it's what I know and it's what I like.. if I ever get my hands on a Curado I then maybe I will change my mind. Just have to wait for me Lews Gold to sell first. I just like the castability and smoothness of my Chronarch but also the reliability because it has hauled in some nice reds and specks but I can still take it to the lake if I want. I know other reels can do that but if it ain't broke I'm not gonna fix it!

Dark3

Quote from: Captk88 on August 07, 2014, 09:02:53 PM
So far I personally have not been impressed with the new Curado. It already makes noise and I have had the side plate open several time in the middle of a cast due to the button moving forward on its own. I have about a dozen chronarchs and love them, they are by far the best reel for the money Shimano makes. I have contacted Shimano and all they could tell me is they had no such knowledge because the reel is so new and would gladly warranty the reel but its not something wrong with reel it seems to me a design flaw. I would much rather pay the extra $20-$30 and get the chroarch and have a great reel. Just personal opinion.
Maybe you are hitting it with your finger or never fully closed it. I have all I's on deck and havent had a single problem with any of them. They cast like a dream, too far sometimes lo. Honestly some of the best reels I have held.

Captk88

Quote from: Dark3 on August 09, 2014, 08:24:08 AM
Maybe you are hitting it with your finger or never fully closed it. I have all I's on deck and havent had a single problem with any of them. They cast like a dream, too far sometimes lo. Honestly some of the best reels I have held.

Maybe its because I have one of the first left handed ones on the market, but I have several occasions of casting with it on video and the side plate just popping open for no good reason. I guess I'll have to put tape over the tab, just don't feel it necessary with a $180 reel... 

TNBassin

It's definitely an anomaly with your reel and not the norm. Haven't ever heard of this issue with the new Chronarchs either.

Capt. BassinLou

The side plate opening during use is the first I here about it too. The only thing I can think of is either the  mechanism has not been properly secured, or its user error based on how they are holding the reel. Lastly, maybe its a faulty piece. It is possible.

MCS

Damn, sounds like these shimanos are not better than quantums now....faulty sideplates run amok.  :P  ::) 8)
Romans 1:16    2 Corinthians 5:17     3 John 1:4
"I'm sorry. I'm not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything." Mike Ditka
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living." John Wayne

Dark3

Quote from: MCS on August 11, 2014, 12:28:03 PM
Damn, sounds like these shimanos are not better than quantums now....faulty sideplates run amok.  :P  ::) 8)

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: MCS on August 11, 2014, 12:28:03 PM

This is what happens when you use Quaalu.......I mean Quantums. lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

MCS

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 11, 2014, 02:34:27 PM
This is what happens when you use Quaalu.......I mean Quantums. lo

No that is what happens when you out source to Malaysia  ;D QUaaality control suuuucks  >:D ~roflmao ~roflmao
"I'm sorry. I'm not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything." Mike Ditka
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living." John Wayne

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: MCS on August 11, 2014, 02:41:18 PM
No that is what happens when you out source to Malaysia  ;D QUaaality control suuuucks  >:D ~roflmao ~roflmao

I couldn't tell you, all my Shimanos say Made In Japan.  ~shade

Dark3

Quote from: MCS on August 11, 2014, 02:41:18 PM
Arent quantums made in china

MCS

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 11, 2014, 02:43:46 PM
I couldn't tell you, all my Shimanos say Made In Japan.  ~shade

I dunno where this one is made it made, just was a good retort lol....I am sure this was the ONE in a MILLION that slipped by.  ;) ::)

MCS

Quote from: Dark3 on August 11, 2014, 02:45:43 PM
Arent quantums made in china

Yeah but I don't complain  :'( about them not working...work fine for me  :-\
Guess I got the ONE in a MILLION that performs as advertised  8)

MCS

Wow guys that throw rocks shouldn't live in glass houses have some fun. No company is perfect as you all have been brainwashed to think.   ~shhh

Dark3

Quote from: MCS on August 11, 2014, 02:48:54 PM
Wow guys that throw rocks shouldn't live in glass houses have some fun. No company is perfect as you all have been brainwashed to think.   ~shhh
What are you talking about? Did I miss somebody getting butt hurt lol?

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: MCS on August 11, 2014, 02:45:51 PM
I dunno where this one is made it made, just was a good retort lol....I am sure this was the ONE in a MILLION that slipped by.  ;) ::)

I believe the I is made in Malaysia, I was actually taking a jab myself ;)

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: MCS on August 11, 2014, 02:46:58 PM
Yeah but I don't complain  :'( about them not working...work fine for me  :-\
Guess I got the ONE in a MILLION that performs as advertised  8)

Haha. I like that.