$430 13 fishing?

Started by LgMouthGambler, December 18, 2014, 05:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

Ok, where do they think they can just step into that market? Who in their right mind would put up that kind of cheese for a reel whose company is new to the game? Thoughts?
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Drake691

I have lots of great personality traits. Or as my doctor calls them, symptoms.

Jared LeBlue

I think anyone who pays that much money for any reel has completely loss their mind but that just me. There are alot of people out there who pay these outrageous prices and as long as they will pay it companies will offer it. Just that simple.
Ardent Prostaff

earldogg

I remember sticking my nose up when they came out with their reels, but early reports have been solid. 13 earned respect with their rods, and <400$> for a magnesium reel is about what the go for. Will I buy one, no, I use lefty reels and I'm very happy with my shimano's.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Drake691 on December 18, 2014, 07:11:48 PM
Megabass did it
Megabass is based on Daiwa reels. Totally different.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

MCS

Well the reel is 5 oz. and it looks a helluva lot better than any 400 shimano. Need I say more.   8)  >:D

You can get the same thing in a quantum for half that. Tour Mg baby  ;D ......And it's Bill Dance approved.  :-*
Romans 1:16    2 Corinthians 5:17     3 John 1:4
"I'm sorry. I'm not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything." Mike Ditka
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living." John Wayne

Snakebit95

Maybe if it came with a lifetime unlimited warranty. Otherwise, I will stick with my Lew's BB1 pros.

Lee Smith

There will be some that will buy it because it cost $413, just a fact  :shocking:

For me?  NOOOOOOOO way  ;D
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Princeton_Man

Out of curiosity I visited their site and from what I found or didn't find, anyone who'd buy one of those would have to be out of their mind. Couldn't find a warranty other than 30 day returns accepted for defective items. If I were buying a racing engine for a drag car or a Bic lighter, I'd expect that. I wouldn't pay $50 for a new reel that didn't even have a 90 day warranty. -Jim
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Dark3

Its so expensive because they stamped the 13 logo in 74 spots on the reel so now it cant break and catches bigger fish

Lee Smith

Quote from: Princeton_Man on December 19, 2014, 11:05:58 AM
Out of curiosity I visited their site and from what I found or didn't find, anyone who'd buy one of those would have to be out of their mind. Couldn't find a warranty other than 30 day returns accepted for defective items. If I were buying a racing engine for a drag car or a Bic lighter, I'd expect that. I wouldn't pay $50 for a new reel that didn't even have a 90 day warranty. -Jim

I found it: http://13fishing.com/reg-war/warranty/index.php

1 yr, but the way it reads, I think if you have a spec in it, they will say no, or that's my opinion

Princeton_Man

Well, I don't think Shimano, Lew's, or even Zebco has anything to worry about. -Jim

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

LgMouthGambler

Yeah, its just nuts. I have a hard time shelling $300 for a stock reel, and at that price I could get the Daiwa Pixy-R on sale now for less than that 13 fishing reel. Im sure it doesn't come close to the performance of my 50's. Even though my 50's aren't stock, I sure have a hell of a lot less than $430 in them.

Lee Smith

Quote from: Princeton_Man on December 19, 2014, 12:14:31 PM
Well, I don't think Shimano, Lew's, or even Zebco has anything to worry about. -Jim
Not in my book either Jim!!

Mike Bush

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on December 18, 2014, 05:33:56 PM
Ok, where do they think they can just step into that market? Who in their right mind would put up that kind of cheese for a reel whose company is new to the game? Thoughts?

They did it with their rods too. Went from 2 rod lines that are low to mid priced....right to the top.  Would rather see a company diversify their selection before they bring out another line.

13 is releasing those "custom" reels as well. Trying to fill that niche I guess.

Bigwrench

Wow that's a lot of $$$ for a reel !  $200 is my limit and That's  only if I'm real flush with cash :)

Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

H8R

Quote from: Princeton_Man on December 19, 2014, 11:05:58 AM

Must have not been in the racing engine market too much... No warranties on that crap. Lol.

13 is doing a heck of a job with their products, IMO. They've produced a nice line of gear. I can't really find anything negative about them. I won't own a KP or the likes... Because, well.... They don't make lefties. Lol.

As for LMG... Have you fished with any 13 reels? I'm willing to bet it's on point with anything that you have... And a PXR is a overhyped, Daiwa that's for finesse (had one, sold it... Bought another Core) ... Not even the same type of reel... The PX-R holds 75yds of 8lb test, the KP holds 80yArds of 12lb... I like that the envelope is being pushed with new materials and lighter technology.  You mention its a stock reel... But is it really? The price is nuts for a company relatively new to the market, but it doesn't mean it's not a great reel.

13stands behind their products very well, I don't see them skipping out on the warranty.

H8R

Ohh yea, and I think it's $480... Not 430 

Princeton_Man

Quote from: H8R on December 20, 2014, 07:39:30 AM
Must have not been in the racing engine market too much... No warranties on that crap. Lol.

What I wrote isn't what you read. I was saying that I don't expect a warranty on a new racing engine.

Actually built several cars as I was growing up and spent a little time around dirt tracks and drag strip as well. Here's a sample from BluePrint Engines for a GM 383 430HP. Warranty ends when you put it on the track.

Auto Crate engines carry a 30-month or 50,000-mile warranty. Marine Crate engines carry a 12-month warranty. Circle Track and short block engines carry no warranty. BluePrint Engines expressly warrants that its engines are of good quality and free from defects in materials or workmanship....

As Lee pointed out, I was wrong and there is a warranty. I accept that however, I expect the only supply demand problems they're going to have with $400+ reels is too much supply and not enough demand.

13 is doing a heck of a job with their products, IMO. They've produced a nice line of gear. I can't really find anything negative about them. 

That's unusual.  ~roflmao

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

LgMouthGambler

13 is doing a heck of a job with their products, IMO. They've produced a nice line of gear. I can't really find anything negative about them. I won't own a KP or the likes... Because, well.... They don't make lefties. Lol.

As for LMG... Have you fished with any 13 reels? I'm willing to bet it's on point with anything that you have... And a PXR is a overhyped, Daiwa that's for finesse (had one, sold it... Bought another Core) ... Not even the same type of reel... The PX-R holds 75yds of 8lb test, the KP holds 80yArds of 12lb... I like that the envelope is being pushed with new materials and lighter technology.  You mention its a stock reel... But is it really? The price is nuts for a company relatively new to the market, but it doesn't mean it's not a great reel.

13stands behind their products very well, I don't see them skipping out on the warranty.

I have never fished one, but wouldn't pay that for a reel made in some 3rd world country.

Pferox

I wouldn't even think about it, Magnesium and salt, brackish, just don't mix.  Especially since it would be such a big investment for me. 
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

H8R

Quote from: Princeton_Man on December 20, 2014, 08:15:23 AM
What I wrote isn't what you read. I was saying that I don't expect a warranty on a new racing engine.

Actually built several cars as I was growing up and spent a little time around dirt tracks and drag strip as well. Here's a sample from BluePrint Engines for a GM 383 430HP. Warranty ends when you put it on the track.

Auto Crate engines carry a 30-month or 50,000-mile warranty. Marine Crate engines carry a 12-month warranty. Circle Track and short block engines carry no warranty. BluePrint Engines expressly warrants that its engines are of good quality and free from defects in materials or workmanship....

As Lee pointed out, I was wrong and there is a warranty. I accept that however, I expect the only supply demand problems they're going to have with $400+ reels is too much supply and not enough demand.

That's unusual.  ~roflmao

I misunderstood you. I too, have built a numerous amount of go-fast deals. Most went in a straight line, but some could corner as well. You'd be surprised what people are willing to pay for things that aren't proven. 

H8R

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on December 20, 2014, 08:40:15 AM
I have never fished one, but wouldn't pay that for a reel made in some 3rd world country.

Where's the third world country you speak of?

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: H8R on December 20, 2014, 09:47:04 AM
Where's the third world country you speak of?

That reel sure isn't made in Japan. Its a Doyo product, so Malaysia, China, Korea, or some other weird country?

BassMan83

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on December 20, 2014, 09:49:53 AM
That reel sure isn't made in Japan. Its a Doyo product, so Malaysia, China, Korea, or some other weird country?
So South Korea is a third world country? Ok. Got it.