New Zillion reviews

Started by LgMouthGambler, January 30, 2015, 09:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

So for the hell of it I was reading the TW reviews that people have been posting about the new Zillion with TWS.

Comments: The new Zillion is a really nice reel. It is based off of the Tatula so it has the same frame, size and feel to that. It does have much more refined gearing and a lot smoother and throws a little farther with the TWS and free floating spool. If you are happy with your Tatula then you will LOVE the new Zillion, it is a Tatula on steroids, if you didn't like the Tatula, well, you need to look at the older Zillions which were a classic

OK...

Comments: If you're a fan of the Tatula and Tatula Type R you'll love the new Zillion. Palms much better due to a more angled front body piece. Casts farther and overall, feels more refined. If you're a fan of the feel of the original Zillion platform look elsewhere.

Basically this confirms that they have just taken the Tatula and made it look a little better and maybe put some better internals. Does this piss anybody else off? I mean the Zillion is supposed to be the "rock" of the Daiwas. I am just disappointed about what they did. I tried the Tatula, but it just doesn't fit in the hand like the TD Zillion. I am curious to see how this is gonna pan out for them. Is it gonna start the same kind of issue that the Curado G did? I know die hard Daiwa fans love the TDZ's, and now that they are discontinued, what is gonna happed to the market for them? I know that I, myself, had to do a fire sale to acquire a Megabass Zillion before they get gobbled up. Im sure that the TDZ will go down in history along side the Curados and Chronarchs of the past.

What are your thoughts on the whole "new Zillion" thing? Have any of you ordered one yet? Have one yet? What do you think about the reel?

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

WRB

The Daiwa Zillion TWS offers 9.1:1 / 40" IPT and that separates it from Tatula for anglers looking for hyper speed reel under $300. I don't see Daiwa putting all their eggs into the T wing system reels at this time, it's another option in the very competitive bass fishing reel market.
Tom

MCS

I told you that LMG. Basically everything from the laguna thru exceller to tatula and now zillion are setting basically on the same frame.( I think even the Morethan uses it too ) See all their doing with swapping quality of materials and refinements. It saves them HUGE on only need one size fits all tooling. I mean even something simple as shutting a line down to swap molds etc. But this equals less R&D less engineering etc. their profit margins are better because of this.
Romans 1:16    2 Corinthians 5:17     3 John 1:4
"I'm sorry. I'm not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything." Mike Ditka
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living." John Wayne

MCS

Quote from: WRB on January 30, 2015, 11:07:06 AM
The Daiwa Zillion TWS offers 9.1:1 / 40" IPT and that separates it from Tatula for anglers looking for hyper speed reel under $300. I don't see Daiwa putting all their eggs into the T wing system reels at this time, it's another option in the very competitive bass fishing reel market.
Tom

They still have the steez, and all the SV models that are non twing also all the under 100 dollar models are minus twing. And then they have the TD models that have the pop up hood twing.
Romans 1:16    2 Corinthians 5:17     3 John 1:4
"I'm sorry. I'm not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything." Mike Ditka
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living." John Wayne

BassMan83

So is it or is it not identical to shape and size as the Tatula? It looks different in the pics.

LgMouthGambler

Pretty close except for the hood.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

BassMan83

It does have the free floating spool. So the internals are different.

steve76

I like my Tatula's so I am perfectly ok with the Zillion being an improved version of it. I will be buying one soon and find out this spring just how much they improved it.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: steve76 on January 30, 2015, 05:34:43 PM
I like my Tatula's so I am perfectly ok with the Zillion being an improved version of it. I will be buying one soon and find out this spring just how much they improved it.

Improved is an objective thing. It's in the eye of the beholder.

steve76

It is an objective thing. I don't do reviews anymore or read too much into other peoples reviews for that reason. I know what I like. I really don't care if others don't like it, it wont change my opinion.

Hoytman1018

For me personally it is an improvement. I do like the T wing system "some guys don't I get that". The reel palms better for me personally "smaller hands". The reel is also lighter and balances a Dobyns Extreme rod just a bit better IMO. 

The reel is plenty rugged and sturdy enough for the most extreme fishing, A Rigs, Punching heavy mats, Froggin, this reel can take anything you dish out and then some. Max drag of 13.2 lbs " advertised anyway I haven't tested it personally."

Now my one complaint is they do not offer the reel in a true cranking model "deep wide spool with a slow gear ratio."

Can't wait for my XXS models to arrive I have 2 on orderk. At 9.1:1 gear ratio and over 40" IPT how many extra casts can I get in on a hard day of pitching?

WRB

Ron at Valley Sports saved me a lot of $$ on my Daiwa reels, give him a call.
Tom

bobsquatch13

My favorite casting reel, though I use casting maybe 10 % of the time, is a Daiwa Tatula Type R 8.1 and for me the TWS is great but I do not like the T3 one where cover lifts up. This one I like. I know nothing about the Daiwa Zillion TWS but since I like the system in the Tatula would like to try the Zillion as I understand it is a better made reel, smoother but don't know how and some indicate even casts further? Maybe the free floating spool? Anyway I will give it a chance when I can get at the right $$$$, just not sure which speed I will try.

LgMouthGambler

From what Daiwa says, the Zillion only casts 7% further than the Tatula. Hmm.

Hoytman1018

I'd say that's accurate another 3 or 4 yards. If all things were equal.

bobsquatch13

Zillion also made better from my understanding with brass gearing, not plastic? That in itself should make for better durability. The free spooling maybe smoother? The Tatula Type R quite comfortable in my hands, do not have large hands at all, so assume Zillion would be also.

earldogg

Hard to look at anything daiwa with all the sweet reels shimano has come out with in the last year, and what's coming out in the next few months. Alot of high end shimano's out there, take your pick!gl

WRB

Quote from: earldogg on February 01, 2015, 10:51:21 AM
Hard to look at anything daiwa with all the sweet reels shimano has come out with in the last year, and what's coming out in the next few months. Alot of high end shimano's out there, take your pick!gl
Instead of hijacking this thread start a new Shinamo new reel model thread.
Tom

LgMouthGambler

He's got a point. They are bringing a lot of reels to the States.

earldogg

Quote from: WRB on February 01, 2015, 01:49:04 PM
Instead of hijacking this thread start a new Shinamo new reel model thread.
Tom
He must not like dogs, lol. I have to admit, 40"ipt is very impressive,  alot more pitches during a day. I wonder what( if they make one) improvements the type-R would have.

jwfflipper14

I fished with Yusuke Miyazaki this past saturday and used his Zillion and all I can say is it is smoother than my new Tatulas and his wasn't a JDM model either. The free floating spool and the better gears do make this reel better than the Tatula! Can't say much about the casting distance between the two but I know I will be getting some!!

Jeff

LgMouthGambler

Just as I suspected. Normally take TT reviews with a grain of salt, but my instincts serve correct.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwazilliontws.html

jwfflipper14

I always take TT reviews as their opinion is just that their opinion which means nothing to me. And it doesn't bother me that the two reels are similar in appearance and design, that only makes it easier for me to use them. We all like what we like and I like the new Zillion which I will be getting soon.

Jeff

Down4ttown

I think the review is basing the new zillion off the old.  Big no no as they are cheaper and a different style. Nothing beats my type r though.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Down4ttown on February 10, 2015, 06:52:35 PM
I think the review is basing the new zillion off the old.  Big no no as they are cheaper and a different style. Nothing beats my type r though.
Of course they are comparing it to the previous model. Think about it, we have been here before....E to the G? Then to the I? I for one am not impressed with Shimanos new ways. The looks, yes, the features, no. So now we are here with Daiwa. I guess it's their turn. So it's a sacrifice of the great palmability of the TD Zillion to get the supposed better casting with the TWS? IDK. The whole reel is wider, did you see when they put the TDZ spool in the TWSZ? Lol, it's crazy. I want to see one broken down inside, I am curious as to what is in there.