2000 triton tr 186 w/ 150 xr6 speed issue

Started by ncsubassfishing, March 11, 2015, 08:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncsubassfishing

I have a 2000 trition tr186 with a 150xr6. I bought it with the motor set at the 3rd hole from the bottom and without a jack plate and am running 5400 rpms at 52-54mph with a 24 pitch trophy. I've read that this boat should be doing close to 60+mph. I don't currently have a jack plate on it but I did buy one that I haven't had installed yet but when I do I have no clue as to the height above/below the transom I should go. I do know that these tritons run better with the motor positioned pretty high. I have heard that a tempest 3 blade prop could help a good bit. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Bassthumb

I would start by setting the centerline of the prop 2.75" below pad (either on or off the jack plate).

Retired USAF MSgt (1W071A)            2008 Triton Tr-196
Plattsmouth, NE                  Mercury Optimax 200
B.A.S.S   NE B.A.S.S. Federation   FoMNTT participant (never again)                   Omaha-River City Bass Club

31airborne

+1 on the motor setting.  Your prop choice is limiting your RPMs, hence your top end speed.  You want a prop that'll allow you to get up max RPM (6000 for your motor).  The jack plate will definitely help but Bassthumb's counsel remains.

I recently switched from a Trophy to a Tempest on my Triton.  Same pitch.  Performance improved immediately.  You might wanna talk to your local marine shop and see if they'll let you try out a few before you pull the trigger on a purchase.

tomustang

Make sure you have a 8" adjustable jackplate.

Here is a simple way to explain where to put it. Place the cone of the lower unit just under the lowest part of the hull.

Here is a photo:

Keep the trophy for now, it will provide stability when you past 60 better. A 25 trophy is the all around triton/mercury prop choice.
Tom

ncsubassfishing

Guys, thank you for your help. Honestly I have not been on here in quite some time and originally posted this on another forum website and had no idea it transferred over. I'm working in Henderson, NC and we have Overby's Marine right around the corner so I plan to take it over there and get them to help me with it. I actually purchased a 6" jackplate quite some time ago but still haven't had it installed(all part of what I plan to have Overby's do for me). I will let them know what you guys said about where to start out with the height below the transom and work from there. Let me know if you have any more insight as I plan to get back on here more often.

Bud Kennedy

Patrick, I know you have had a struggle with this for over a year now.  I think once you get your jackplate installed the adjustments you need to make will be a lot more practical and successful.  Once this gets taken care of then you can address the prop deal or perhaps you won't need to after you get the adjustments done.