Maybe gonna try braid?

Started by Jw7054, April 02, 2015, 09:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brocksdad1

Just read your post Jim
If I get some equal strength line of each I'll try it out
This is not a hobby for me, its a sick addiction. Now my son has the problem...isnt it great!!!

I would like to take this time to thank Bass for biteing my lures and bringing me joy.

TWilson

As to the cutting the line, I just bought a pair of super line scissors by Rapala at DSG and they work wonderfully. Partially serated on the inner half, too bad I'm not using braid anymore. They work just as good on mono.

Pferox

I have a few pairs of those forceps with cutters on em, they work good, most of the time.  If not I carry a lighter, even did when I wasn't smoking.  Then as a last resort I always have a knife.

832 was selling line with a pair of scissors in the package, they worked good a few times then needed to be sharpened.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

LgMouthGambler

I got the Boomerang cutters for Christmas, they are awesome!
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Brocksdad1

Buck is supposed to have a new fishing tool for line and rings and other stuff. Rust proof as well
This is not a hobby for me, its a sick addiction. Now my son has the problem...isnt it great!!!

I would like to take this time to thank Bass for biteing my lures and bringing me joy.

MCS

Quote from: Brocksdad1 on April 07, 2015, 11:48:45 AM
Buck is supposed to have a new fishing tool for line and rings and other stuff. Rust proof as well

Splizzors....they look cool but they are like 75-100 a pop so I won't be buying them anytime soon... lo
Romans 1:16    2 Corinthians 5:17     3 John 1:4
"I'm sorry. I'm not very tolerant when it comes to the liberals who complain about everything." Mike Ditka
"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living." John Wayne

Brocksdad1

Quote from: MCS on April 07, 2015, 11:58:10 AM
Splizzors....they look cool but they are like 75-100 a pop so I won't be buying them anytime soon... lo
Hmmmm
I hadn't looked them up. Maybe eBay in the future.

Pferox

Quote from: MCS on April 07, 2015, 11:58:10 AM

They are coming out with a salt water version soon ..... add $80 to the base price.   :shocking:  :surrender:
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Brocksdad1

Quote from: Pferox on April 07, 2015, 12:09:43 PM
They are coming out with a salt water version soon ..... add $80 to the base price.   :shocking:  :surrender:
Bwahaha
Probably not a single thing different, well maybe one thing. The price lol

Jw7054

I picked up some braid last night. I got some 50lb power pro from walmart. Im gonna try it out. I did electrical tape on the spool with about a 7 foot mono backer coming off the spool. Then a 5 foot, about, leader on the front. I used the double uni to connect the lines. And a uni the tie the bait on. Anything that doesnt sound right here?

Pferox

Quote from: Jw7054 on April 12, 2015, 09:32:52 AM
I picked up some braid last night. I got some 50lb power pro from walmart. Im gonna try it out. I did electrical tape on the spool with about a 7 foot mono backer coming off the spool. Then a 5 foot, about, leader on the front. I used the double uni to connect the lines. And a uni the tie the bait on. Anything that doesn't sound right here?

Sounds like a good rig to me.  Might want to keep an eye on the Uni Knot that you used for the leader, it might cut under heavy pressure.  Next time try an Alberto knot, or one of the knots like that.  The Uni for the lure is a good choice too.  Everything else is spot on.  If you are using mono under the braid on the spool, you don't need to put tape down, but it isn't a problem either if you do.

Jw7054

Quote from: Pferox on April 12, 2015, 11:05:10 AM
Sounds like a good rig to me.  Might want to keep an eye on the Uni Knot that you used for the leader, it might cut under heavy pressure.  Next time try an Alberto knot, or one of the knots like that.  The Uni for the lure is a good choice too.  Everything else is spot on.  If you are using mono under the braid on the spool, you don't need to put tape down, but it isn't a problem either if you do.

I did a double uni for the connection of the leader. Idk if that makes a bit of difference.

Pferox

Quote from: Jw7054 on April 12, 2015, 12:03:46 PM
I did a double uni for the connection of the leader. Idk if that makes a bit of difference.

That is the only way to do a connection with a Uni, it will work, just keep an eye on it.

Lipripper

I use 30lb power pro on my bait caster (frog and lure rod) and learned the hard way about why to put mono on the spool as a backer. ::) Hooked a good size fish and the next thing I knew no more line left. ~roflmao ~roflmao I was just learning how to use bait casters and braid line. Won't happen again. ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Jw7054

So i didnt catch any thing today but i didnt like the ability reel faster if i need to since no stretch and easier to break the leader since there is no stretch.  Casting seemed a little better. I also liked that it didnt hold nearly as much memory.