Smiley Tips

Started by MotherNature, August 09, 2004, 07:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotherNature

Just a little tip for those of you that don't preview your message before posting it...

When you add a Smiley to your post by clicking on one of the Smileys that are about the message box or in the [more] pop up window you will need to hit the space bar before you enter any more text. Here are a couple of examples for you so you will understand why I added this...

Example 1 :)Hello **doesn't work right

Example 2 :) Hello **correct

in example number 1 you notice that the Smiley is nothing but the code that it took to generate it and in example number 2 it is actually the Smiley...

Tight Lines,
~cf
Laurie

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

BocaMike

I'm new to this forum, and apparently I have gone brain dead as relates to "how to post a smiley".  If there is a specific thread with instructions for dummies, please point me to it.
In the meantime, I'll toy with this message in hopes of finding the secret.  Thanks.

PS.  Appears I've not found the right way to post a smiley.  Could it be because I am using a Quick Reply as opposed to some other form of Reply?
Hoping to connect with other "boatless" fly anglers in southern Palm Beach County, Fl. to swap lies, discuss favorite flies, and techniques for fishing local lakes, ponds and backyard canals.

dgoss76

Apparently you didn't look at your message either. Both showed up with a smiley. Lol!!!

BocaMike

Smallmouth, thanks for the comment.  I think your observation that my last two messages showed the Smiley Faces confirms what I learned from one of the site moderators; that being that this Smiley App is not yet fully compatible with Windows 10 and the new MS EDGE Browser.  Apparently my smiley's are actually being posted, but I am not able to see them in my own message.  That may sound weird, but it is true.  For example, if I attempt to paste the Smiley with curse words here: it is not showing up on my outgoing message.  And oddly, when I view my own posts, I still do not see it.  Are you able to see it in this message? 

I likely won't spend any more time on this issue, knowing that it is a known application bug here on this forum.  Thanks again.
Hoping to connect with other "boatless" fly anglers in southern Palm Beach County, Fl. to swap lies, discuss favorite flies, and techniques for fishing local lakes, ponds and backyard canals.

Mike Cork

Yes the new edge browser will not show posted smilies. It's a MS issue that came about with Win 10. Not sure when MS will fix it. As of now there is nothing we can do on our end other than suggest a different browser.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

BocaMike

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 13, 2015, 09:05:55 AM
Yes the new edge browser will not show posted smilies. It's a MS issue that came about with Win 10. Not sure when MS will fix it. As of now there is nothing we can do on our end other than suggest a different browser.

Thanks for your input, Mike.  I'm confused however, as to why and how I can log on to another forum using this same Win/10 Edge PC and have no issues what so ever with Smileys there.  If you wish to check out siriusbuzz.com and possibly talk to the site admin. there, perhaps you can uncover a clue as to why and how Smiley work on that site using Win/10 Edge.

I note that in the trailer information on that site below a Post screen there are a set of Posting Options as follows: You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
[VIDEO] code is On
HTML code is Off

I've not discovered is similar options are available here or not, but I just offer my observations as a clue that perhaps this is not a MS problem.

Mike Cork

The forums you mention are run with vBulletin and this one uses SMF. When a secure patch is available we will install it. Until then MS can also fix it with one of they're many updates . There are many different forum OS out there, MS expects everyone to bow to them....

Thank you for your observations  ~c~ And we we can we'll correct this issue.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service