Broke the Century Mark fishing today...103 Largemouth in 8 hours

Started by RumRiverRat, June 13, 2015, 08:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RumRiverRat

Absolutely laid waste to the fish today.

Fished 5am to 1pm.

Got bit on my first cast, caught 22 fish in the first hour. Had 50 after 3 hours.

Incredible is an understatement.

Caught the first 30 on a Reaction Innovations Vixen Walk the Dog bait in Bluegill. Mixed in a Black Spro Popper Frog and a Black Mike Shaw Mini Slammer wake bait as well.

Cloudy sky and slick calm conditions set the stage for an epic outside deep weedline topwater bite.

The lake I fished has 5 to 7 feet of water clarity, which is unusual for this lake. So there has been a tremendous amount of Curly Leaf Pond Weed Growth, also aided by the lack of snow on the ice this year so the Curly Leaf started growing under the ice in January or February.

Water temp of 71 to 75 degrees. Fished the deep edge, 9 to 12 feet, of the weedline and 2 massive 6 to 9 feet deep weed flats.

The topwater bite slowed down a little so I fished the same areas with swimbaits. The Jackall Gantarel, Gancraft Jointed Claw 178 and Triple Trout Bluegill.

At one point I had a pack of 8 to 12 three to four pound fish following the Swimbaits back to the boat. Managed to keep them interested long enough to get 4 in the boat.

Caught lots of fish from 2 inside turns with really thick weeds, thicker than the rest of the weedline.

The bass were definitely in the upper 1/3 of the water column chasing Bluegills.
witness Bluegills jumping out the water trying to escape packs of bass.

Will post pics of the baits and give more detail on the baits tomorrow.

Have to get rods rigged and gear organized for a Club Tournament tomorrow, eat something, take a shower and go to bed.

BassmanRudy

Good golly that's one HECK of a DAY!!!!!!!! :-) :-) :-)  you had better hang it up and retire!!!!! :-) :-)  that bass thumb has to be epic! And mostly topwater too that's awesum!!
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

RumRiverRat

First time I have broke 100 by myself on this lake.
Have had many days between 50 and 80 especially in the Fall, or at night in the summer.

I fish this lake 40 to 50 times a year. Have logged several thousand hours on the water over that last 5 years on this lake.

It is my Lake X and I am intimately familiar with th3 fish in it.

Lipripper

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Bigwrench

Sounds like a great day on the water. I'd also love to experience that one day on a lake myself. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Lipripper

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

BassmanRudy

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

RumRiverRat

Jackall Gantarel 6.25" 2.5oz beat up missing eyes, broke one hook off the front treble, the nice feathers on the hooks are almost gone. Was a 2015 Bassmaster Classic Release.
Every size bass will eat it.

Top to bottom
22nd Century Triple Trout Bluegill 5" 1.75oz Slow Sink
Gancraft Jointed Claw 178s 7" 2oz Slow Sink
Mike Shaw Mini Slammer 4.25" body and 9.5" total length with trick worm tail 1.75oz Wake Bait

BassmanRudy

"Rudy"
www.mistertwister.com

RumRiverRat

7'11" Heavy Action Rod
Shimano Curado 300dsv 6.2:1
20lb Suffix Siege Mono

CraigP83