Boat and trailer title?

Started by d.branch3, July 03, 2015, 01:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d.branch3

Has anyone bought a boat and trailer from a storage place that has acquired because of late fees owed to storage unit, I know they went through heck to get the right to sell it but not sure what I would have to do to get it registered and titled ? I am in La! I heard it is frustrating to get done..
Thanks
Powell Rods.

Swede

I live in Florida, so I don't know how LA handles these situations. Would give Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) a call or your tax collector office a call. They ought to be able to point you in right direction.  Good Luck!
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small.
Rascal Flatts

Mike Cork

In Louisiana you've got two choices as far as I know. First is to contact the previous owner and ask them for the titles. Second is to file for a new title. Not sure who to file that with? Might be wildlife and fisheries in this state.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

Up this way you would file an appication for new title with the bill of sale from the auction. Essentially you paid the storage fees so, you own the boat. It's just a pile of paperwork but you would get a title. -Jim
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

JayPea2006

Quote from: Princeton_Man on July 03, 2015, 04:55:07 PM
Up this way you would file an appication for new title with the bill of sale from the auction. Essentially you paid the storage fees so, you own the boat. It's just a pile of paperwork but you would get a title. -Jim

Absolutely correct. The auction BOS will be used to verify legal ownership. The problem I just had was that I brought my boat from Louisiana to FL where the vessel is titled and not the trailer. It's vice-versa in LA and after 4 visits to the DMV, I finally got the boat registered.

Good luck and tight lines!

Thornback

Personally I would never buy a boat, trailer, or vehicle, unless the owner produced the correct title and accompanied me to the tag office to transfer the title. And that is where I would pay him in cash and make him also sign a receipt. If I were selling I would not allow the buyer to take possession until we transferred the title. And a receipt would be signed showing he bought it. The days of trusting people with a handshake are long past. Why look for a problem. There is a scam a minute out there.

Nutt

Contact a Justice of the Peace and explain what you need done.  I had to do this years ago, and used a guy in Greenwood.  I cant remember his name right off.  Besides getting the forms he needed, it was pretty painless.
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

d.branch3

Powell Rods.