Surf fishing help?

Started by SuzukiGS750EZ, August 12, 2015, 05:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuzukiGS750EZ

Hey guys. I just got a shimano bait runner d 4000 as a gift. I'm looking for a rod and line to go with. I'll be fishing from docks mostly. What size and power should I be looking for? Can this reel handle striper, blues and flounder? That's about all that's around here. And what size line? 30lb braid?

Lipripper

Quote from: SuzukiGS750EZ on August 12, 2015, 05:53:58 PM
Hey guys. I just got a shimano bait runner d 4000 as a gift. I'm looking for a rod and line to go with. I'll be fishing from docks mostly. What size and power should I be looking for? Can this reel handle striper, blues and flounder? That's about all that's around here. And what size line? 30lb braid?
I'm not a surf guy but I'm sure Jim will be by to help you out soon.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

hughesjasonk

My brother in law uses 60lb braid on his surf setup.

As far as the reel.. you should find out what the drag limit is.

bigjim5589

Jim as in me, or Jim as in Pferox! We'll both offer some advice I'm sure.  lo

I checked the specs & it has a 15 lb max drag. It also has sufficient capacity no matter what line you wish to use for pier fishing. Shimano makes capacity recommendations for the line at approx. test for both mono types & braid.

IMO, that size reel should handle those species. I have a 4500 size reel on both an 8' & a 9' rod, so I would say a 7' to 9' rod would probably work depending on the rod. Both rods I use are Diawa Beefsticks, which are decent & inexpensive rods, but they're quite heavy, as they're fiberglass, but they're like tanks too, won't break them. That was another reason I bought them, I wanted durable over lighter weight.

Most of this is personal preference, and I don't do a lot of surf or pier fishing, so that's what I use when I get the opportunity. I like a 7' rod for casting lures, but prefer a baitcaster.

You haven't said what budget range you're looking at, but you might consider the Ugly Stiks for pier fishing. They're a bit more costly than the Beefsticks, but may be a lighter weight rod. You might look at some of the BPS or Cabela's saltwater spin rods to match that reel too. Again, I'm using baitcasters, not spinning but I have several BPS Extremes ( around $100 usually, but on sale around $80) I use in brackish water for Stripers & have used them in the salt creeks in SC. They're my double duty bass rods & simply need a bit of extra care when used in saltwater. Of course that Shimano reel's going to need similar care.

As far as line, I use Sufix 832 braid in 20 lb on one 4500 surf spinning reel, Yozuri Hybrid in 20 lb on another, and on a 5500 reel, Berkley Big Game in 30 lb. Really depends on how you'll use it. Braid is a bit more sensitive to feel lighter bites, but it's also more costly especially if you end up breaking a lot of it off.

With bait, doesn't hurt to go a bit heavier, but that will affect casting distance some. I know a lot of guys using lighter lines for pier fishing, like 16 lb, but not many that go heavier than 30 unless targeting much bigger fish species such as Kingfish or Cobia. Most that use lighter than 30, may also use a heavier leader for abrasion resistance, particularly with braid.

There's a lot of variables that can be the deciding factor on why a specific line or test is chosen.

If most fish you might hook up with are more average size, you could be fine with 15 to 20 lb test no matter which type of line you choose. I've caught many schoolie size Stripers on 10 lb in the past & on a lot lighter rod & reel than you're asking about!  ~gf

Jim ( Pferox, the resident salt authority & Salt Forum Mod) I'm sure will be along shortly with his input on this!  ;)

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Lipripper

Maybe I should of said the Jims.  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

bigjim5589

QuoteMaybe I should of said the Jims.  lo lo

;D
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Pferox

Congratulations, that is a nice reel.  The baitrunner feature is fantastic for live bait presentations.  I have a few bait runner reels in different brands, and all in all you should consider them a light inshore kind of reel.  Although I have caught some big fish with those smaller reels.

With that said, a bass or inshore rod would work best, it will allow you to hold it all day long.  I'm pretty sure the reel is top rated for 12 lb mono equivalent.

I would run 20 or 30lb braid on it, and go with a 7ft or 7ft 6in medium or medium heavy with a moderate action rod in the 20lb class.  I prefer glass but a graphite or composite is usually more sensitive.  832 is a good choice IMO.  This size rod with braid will give you a long cast, even with lighter baits, also allow you to cast up to an ounce of various lures, but you can still get away with weightless presentations. 

My rule of thumb on mono line and reels is usually 12 to 15 (which is pushing it) for a 4000 reel, 5000s usually get 15 to 20lb mono, and 6000 and up usually get 20 to 30lb.  For the fish you are looking at, 12lb mono / 20lb braid is a good line of choice.

If after fishing with it a little you find you are cutting off the braid a lot, (due to shells, or whatever) just get some 17 to 20 lb test mono and tie it on to what braid is still on the spool, then wind on what ever amount of mono will fit.  Here is where you get the best of both worlds, great line capacity, and higher abrasion resistance where you need it most.

Man, I have to quit otherwise it will look like I wrote the Iliad and the Odyssey.  lo

If you want more, just ask, either Jim or myself will chime in here.  Although there is a lot of information in this section and the rods section.  I do a lot of reviews on cheap rods.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Pferox

Quote from: hughesjasonk on August 12, 2015, 08:07:32 PM
My brother in law uses 60lb braid on his surf setup.
As far as the reel.. you should find out what the drag limit is.

Wow, that is some heavy stuff.  Most of the distance guys spool 20 to 40 braid max, 15 to 20 mono, with a 50 or 60lb mono shock leader.  The thinner stuff casts much further, and for most surf species around here that is more than enough.   Even the shark guys that are not yaaking their baits out don't go that heavy,   The yaaking guys are a different story.

One thing to remember, a reel with a 6lb drag at full spool can be 30 or more lbs when it is half empty.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

hughesjasonk

Quote from: Pferox on August 13, 2015, 12:40:02 AM
Wow, that is some heavy stuff.  Most of the distance guys spool 20 to 40 braid max, 15 to 20 mono, with a 50 or 60lb mono shock leader.  The thinner stuff casts much further, and for most surf species around here that is more than enough.   Even the shark guys that are not yaaking their baits out don't go that heavy,   The yaaking guys are a different story.

One thing to remember, a reel with a 6lb drag at full spool can be 30 or more lbs when it is half empty.

braid is still pretty thin though even at 60#.

bigjim5589

I use some 65 lb braid for flipping jigs for bass in the snags sometimes. It's about 17 lb mono equivalent diameter. 50 lb is about 12 lb mono equivalent. So as far as line diameter, 60 lb is not unusual IMO.

But, most guys I know who fish lines that strong, are usually looking for monster catfish or sharks.  ~shade

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Pferox on August 13, 2015, 12:11:23 AM
Man, I have to quit otherwise it will look like I wrote the Iliad and the Odyssey.  lo

So I guess we should start calling you Homer.  Doh !

Oops! Sorry, wrong Homer. lol
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Pferox

Quote from: hughesjasonk on August 13, 2015, 11:10:04 AM
braid is still pretty thin though even at 60#.

OH yes I agree 60lb braid is very thin, and it has an important place in surf fishing, especially when targeting larger fish.  But just like the thicknesses of mono, the thicker the line, the more you lose casting distance.  And when in the surf you want to get as much distance as possible.

Galveston piers are all "T" head piers and allow you to get out past the surf to target larger fish, mostly shark around here. To accommodate the shark crowd, the "T" head is long surf rods only, and all of those guys consider 60lb braid on their reels light line.  The shortest rod is 10 feet, many going up to 15, and they are usually Heavy or stouter, since they are usually over a pound to pound and a half of weight and bait.

It all depends on where you are fishing, what you are targeting, and what kind of bottom you are fishing.

As a matter of fact, I have a 7'6" heavy whoopin stick rod now with 80 lb gorilla line spooled on that needs to be replaced because it is getting pretty old.  Caught a lot of black tips and bulls on that booger.

Pferox

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on August 13, 2015, 04:22:49 PM
So I guess we should start calling you Homer.  Doh !

Oops! Sorry, wrong Homer. lol

Oh man, when you can't fish, you HAVE to talk or post about it all the time, and ya know I have a million of em.

Pferox

Thought i would add this video to the discussion.  Although done in England it is similar to what is done around here, with a few exceptions.  The first is that we use sand spikes, or real long PVC pipe beaten into the sand.  We use different baits.  And most importantly, most of the year, there are girls who fish also, and they wear bikinis.  But many of the techniques and long line usage are shown, which is why I figured I would share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOcfoEHC3AE

Most of the species shown are different here also, but the size of fish are about right.  Usually for every large fish you have to catch quite a few smaller fish, and that HUGE fish, is pretty rare.

CalvesOfSteel

Quote from: SuzukiGS750EZ on August 12, 2015, 05:53:58 PM

Hi im kind of late to give advice but which area are you located at first. second I would go for 30 or 40 braid and with shock leader. If you're surf fishing with baitrunner you first need some knowledge on reading the surf and this is a good site for understanding where and how far to cast.

http://www.fishing-mates.com/beachfishing/

Also you need to start using shock leaders because when you're actually casting 4- 8oz sinkers you're 95% of the times snap you're line and having that extra leader with 50 - 60lb mono line will save your tackle/ losing less of that expensive braid.

One last thing is because of the nature of the spinning reel, I personally would either get some hockey tape or drop some super glue on your finger tip so you don't lose your finger. Also when you cast make sure the drag tight before you cast so you don't end up with like this

http://i.imgur.com/pIoicZ0.jpg

But there is an option for getting break away cannon for saving you're finger.
Remember that for surf is little different but to get the best results, research you're lunar cycle, tides, reading surf, water temperature and so on. But that doesn't mean you won't get skunked it just means you have higher success with catching fish.

For example, I followed everything but I got skunked in one of the most productive inlets.

SuzukiGS750EZ

Just used my rod and reel setup last night. I don't know if I listed it on here, but it's an 8' two piece tica dolphin with a Shimano 4000D bait runner and 30lb braid. AWESOME SETUP

Pferox

Quote from: SuzukiGS750EZ on September 19, 2015, 08:03:03 PM
Just used my rod and reel setup last night. I don't know if I listed it on here, but it's an 8' two piece tica dolphin with a Shimano 4000D bait runner and 30lb braid. AWESOME SETUP

That sounds like a great all around salt water rig, you can use it both on the shore, surf, and most piers.  30lb braid is a good weight, like mentioned earlier by others, keep an open mind about using a shock leader in 50lb mono or so, it is easier on both the rod, reel, people around you, and your wallet.

Like Calves mentioned, throwing heavier weights especially with braids can be tough on your fingers.  They have casting gloves available, but I was able to make one by just cutting the finger off of an old glove and holding it on with a couple of rubber bands.  One of these days I'm going to make one look a little more professional with velcro, but hey it gets the job done.

Here is one of the commercial versions.