Excel..Line

Started by topcat, March 23, 2006, 02:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassmaster350

Created by Bartholomew Hawg Bass

topcat

Well I am going to test the 17 pound Excel today as soon a I can get my gear together........going to be flippin in some slop......

Topcat

topcat

well I tried the 17 pound test....and the line did great I caught one 5lb Bass...the Excel stayed with Old Bucket Mouth....he tried to bury himself in some slopy and sawgrass but the line is so strong I could feel it being rub on a rock or stump in the sawgrass....I got the bass out and checked the line...no damage...if a person fish in the slop I fish in......you need to try this line..........

the reel is not so good of a report my reel stooped winding half way back to the boat.....it was a BPS extreme reel.....I might have caused the problem it is set up for 12lb test line but I had 17 pound
test on the reel and it just stopped ...I pulled the fish with the line wrapped around my arm to the boat........got to find a reel that can handle that line.....any suggestion......

Topcat

Mike Cork

Great report about the line, sorry to here about your reel though. I figure that the reel should have handled the line just fine. The 12 lb rating is usually in reference to line diameter and making sure the reel will hold enough line and cast properly, it's not really a damage control. Your drag should prevent you from tearing up the real.

I am 50/50 with BPS extreme reels I have had two of them and tore one up on the first trip. They replaced it and I haven't had a problem with the new one  ;)

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

topcat

Thanks Mike I really love the Excel line you were right about the Excel line it is great line.........appreciate the information on the reel...I will return it to Bass Pro....I thought that the line messed up my drag because.......... the line was to heavy for it

the reel handle would turn...but no line was being taken up...so I thought it was my fault for putting the Excel line on that reel.....
something in the reel just stopped working...never had that happen before.........

Topcat

Mike Cork

If the handle just spins super freely then your pinion gear is broke or out of place. If there is some resistance to it then you migh have an issue with your drag system or the spool is bound up ;)

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Foulmouthfool

I use it and like it too.  Doesn't seem to have the memory that a lot of lines have, which is a big plus to me.  its keeps on casting and casting.  I only replace mine twice a year.

topcat

I agree with yo FoulMouth.....Excel is great line...and not expensive...... great line..... great value.......

Topcat

topcat

Mike...........you are good not only do you know your fishing line but you gave the same diagnosis as the man at BassPro.......he said something was wrong with the pinion gear........Thanks Mike......

Topcat

Navy Chief

I have used Excel eclusively the past 5 years and have yet to have any break off on fish. I even caught a 15# channel cat while drifting a senko on Brownlee reservoir a few years ago, 8# test at that.

Warpath

Welcome aboard Navy Chief, and glad to hear you've had similar success with Excel.  I don't know why more people don't use this line, its a great line and it has a great price. 

Eric

BIG PAPA

Quote from: topcat on April 25, 2006, 03:14:06 AM
Mike...........you are good not only do you know your fishing line but you gave the same diagnosis as the man at BassPro.......he said something was wrong with the pinion gear........Thanks Mike......

Topcat

the pinion gear on the extremes is made of plastic, I am now batting 100% I have had 2 and the pinion gear has broken on both of them. since they are only slightly cheaper than Curados or the new cruxis reel by shimano I am pretty much done with them
papa

topcat

Papa....thanks for sharing your troubles with the reels...I am not going to invest in another one either.......

Topcat