HELP!!! Found a crack

Started by Dillon914, August 25, 2015, 04:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dillon914

Just bought a 2002 pantera 3 and not 3 hours after leaving the DMV I found this crack. It's on the wall forward of the fule tank on both sides

Lee Smith

Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Dillon914

I'm trying to but the files are to big.

Ron Fogelson

post them to facebook or photobucket and then put them here or just the link if need be

Ron Fogelson

my old stratos had cracks like that on the inside part of the transom  looked bad but never leaked or moved,,,, in my case it seamed to be just the surface coat that cracked.

Lee may be able to tell you more but to feel safe at some point bring it to a boat shop,,, find someone you trust or one people you trust recommend.

Dillon914

I'm sick to my stomach right now I've been siting here looking down at and can't believe I missed it before buying it. My 1st boat and I didn't even get to fish with it or anything. I really hope it looks worse then it is. What a wast of money.

Pferox

Quote from: Dillon914 on August 25, 2015, 05:13:31 PM
I'm sick to my stomach right now I've been siting here looking down at and can't believe I missed it before buying it. My 1st boat and I didn't even get to fish with it or anything. I really hope it looks worse then it is. What a wast of money.

Have you put it in the water yet?  Need to check if it is leaking, if not, then you can fish it and get it fixed in the near future.  I had cracks in the glass on my Flare Skiff and they were just because of age.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Mike Cork

From what I'm seeing that is in the forward part of the compartment. I don't know exactly how basscats are put together but the wall is probably just that, a wall. Basically so you don't have to look at the live well boxes. Cosmetic, not much of a structure. However it could be important to holding the deck up. If that's the case, some brackets to keep it standing and reinforce would be all I'd do and watch it.

Now if I'm looking at it backwards, and that's the rear where the transom is... Then you need to get it looked at.

I see a pump in the middle, can't tell if that's live well or bilge?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Mike Cork

I just re-read your post and you said forward... I think your okay  :-* we have a couple big time bass cat guys here that will jump in. In the mean time get her loaded up and go fishing!!! I'm pretty sure that's a cosmetic panel and while it sux it's not going to fall apart on you.

Cork's Reel Service

Dillon914

Mike you are right that's the forward wall where the live wells are. Here's a photo showing the well lid on the port side.

Dillon914

@pferox yes I had it in the water yesterday for a long time and no leaks at all.

Mike Cork

Okay. It's definitely just a wall. It's not going to leak. You have the boats stringer system and hull below it. It has nothing to do with the bottom of the boat. If you were to take it out, there are hoses and wires behind it. I'm just not sure how much it's involved in keeping the rear deck stable.

Cork's Reel Service

Dillon914

Oh man thats the best news ever lol. Thanks Mike!!! I'll see about support for the aft deck.

bjcamp

Looks to me like those batteries might have been pounding because of maybe some rough water and cracked the inner wall.
Noticed new batteries dated 4/15 ---- batteries will deteriorate quicker when exposed to a lot of pounding in rough water conditions .
Flakes that build up on the plates from charging and draw down , time after time will settle to the bottom of the batteries and eventually short out a cell  or two..
I would suggest a good epoxy job on the cracks and keep an eye on them .
BJCAMP   [Bruce ]
ROF Retired old fart

Lee Smith

I wouldn't worry about them at all.  Like bjcamp said, you can put some epoxy/fiberglass repair on there to help you brain out  lo  Somebody probably hit a big wake and come down hard and the bats got it.  99% of the time it's just cosmetic on the first coat. 

Your good brother!  Go fishin'  not many boats out there that I can't find a crack on, a lot of them way worse than that.  Keep an eye on it, and after a year you'll be good in the head, or I was  lo  ;)
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Dillon914

Woooohooooo!!!!!!! Looks like I'm going fishing then. thanks for the help everyone!! I will try my 1st repair job on it just to keep it strong back there and then it's back to cleaning her up all nice  ;D

Bigwrench

I'm by no means an expert on boats but I have no fear of fiberglass work and wouldn't think twice about removing the batteries and sanding that down and glassing in some fiberglass . It doesn't appear structural like has been already stated and just for piece of mind id fix it myself. It would be a great way and place to practice fiberglass repair where no one can see it in case it ain't pretty lol.
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Elwood

Dillion....Call me and I can explain the cracks to you.......they will not hurt your boat or affect performance or leak....I PM'ed you my number
Elwood
Bass Cat Boats Moderator / Dobyns Rods Pro Staff
2020 Bass Cat Eyra 2020 Mercury 300R 4S

merc1997

that is basically a seal coat of fiberglass on the back of the livewells, which also helps to insulate them.  not one thing to worry about.  go fishing.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Elwood

They are actually tell tells for BCB to be able to read on how the boat was used.  They normally crack from rough water use but can also crack from abuse.  It all depends on how they (BCB) read the direction and severity of the cracks as to if the boat was abused or simply caught out in rough water.  Dillion....send the pics of the cracks to BCB and they will read them for you if you are very concerned about them.  Other wise some have fixed them and most just leave them as they are.  If you are not finding any other apparent damage to your boat then I would assume that it is big water that caused the tell tells to crack.  BCB will be the authority on them.
Elwood
Bass Cat Boats Moderator / Dobyns Rods Pro Staff
2020 Bass Cat Eyra 2020 Mercury 300R 4S

BassCatBates

sorry I'm late to the party on this subject.... yeah ... that crack shouldn't be a big deal at all.  A little bondo and it's over with.  nothing to worry about.
2009 MediaBass South Arkansas Division Angler of the Year.

Union County Bass Club.

Polaris425

I'm sure he'll copy the response over from BCB, but they told him it was nothing to worry about.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.