Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spinning reel size  (Read 1707 times)

68camaro

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Spinning reel size
« on: November 21, 2015, 07:08:54 PM »

What size spinning reel would you suggest to pair up with a Megabass Orochi 6'10" X4 F3-610X4S Aarons Martin Limited? Line will be 4 or 6 lb flouro.

It will be used for light finesse presentations/techniques.
Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
Re: Spinning reel size
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 08:04:19 PM »

With that line size you can probably go down to a 1000 reel, but I would rather have a 2000 or even 3000 because fluorocarbons tend to like larger spools better.

A lot of it also depends on which size reel will balance the rod better, that will depend on the actual reel model and the size.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

68camaro

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:39:17 PM »

A lot of it also depends on which size reel will balance the rod better, that will depend on the actual reel model and the size.

Thanks for response. I discovered today I don't like 9 oz reels on it. I have an older Pflueger lying around so I put that on it and it felt much to heavy and didn't balance well at all.  I just weighed it and it is 9oz, so now I know I need to go well below 9 oz to get feel I am after.

Is specific gearing a big deal for my uses? Of the reels I am looking at gearing is around 6.0:1, but I just saw some  light weight Pfluegers but gearing is 5.2:1 even on a 3000 size reel.   Should I be looking to maximize line takeup per turn?

analfisherman

• Ultimate Basser
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 09:51:41 PM »

Is specific gearing a big deal for my uses? Of the reels I am looking at gearing is around 6.0:1, but I just saw some  light weight Pfluegers but gearing is 5.2:1 even on a 3000 size reel.   Should I be looking to maximize line takeup per turn?

Everyone's definition of finesse fishing is different but I like 2000 as  Pferox mentioned and yes I go faster than 5s because often times when I'm finesse fishing like drop shotting for example I'm usually targeting a specific target.
Like to get it back and cast again.
Another note, often when using lighter lines I find faster allows me to control the fish better keeping tension and avoiding spit outs or worse yet...line breakage.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

loomisguy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 06:43:45 AM »

I would go with a stradic in the 2500 size...The larger spool helps with flouro.

OkobojiEagle

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 09:10:05 AM »

For bass fishing I'm partial to 2000 - 2500 sized spinning reels as well.

oe

Dfiene1

• UB Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 07:39:45 PM »

I have a shimano Stradic ci4+ 2500 on that exact rod. If you go smaller the coils get tighter with fluoro causing some problems. The combo is actually a tiny bit tip heavy.

68camaro

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 08:29:58 PM »

I have a shimano Stradic ci4+ 2500 on that exact rod. If you go smaller the coils get tighter with fluoro causing some problems. The combo is actually a tiny bit tip heavy.

I am leaning towards the Ci4 in 2500.

What size line are you running? Do you like the setup, do you think a 1000 or lighter reel would improve tip being heavy, and is it enough to make a difference? Have you experimented with braid and flour leader on it?

Thanks

MissouriFishin

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 08:32:36 PM »

I like the 2500 size for bass fishing

Dfiene1

• UB Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 07:00:18 AM »

A smaller reel would make the balance worse. You would actually need a heavier reel to balance it better. I use sunline sniper 7lb on it. I don't play with braid much since the water here is gin clear. It's actually a combo I bought for my wife to use after her wrist surgery. She needed something super light.

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 08:46:16 AM »

I use a lot of longer rods which tend to be tip heavy and they can tear you up worse than an overall heavy combo.  Using a balancing kit or even just adding a quarter or two under the butt cap makes a world of difference in handling capabilities.

I agree with Anal, when doing finesse fishing more line take up per turn is important, especially when using lighter line.  I usually find myself pumping the rod a lot more than when fighting a more equalizing line.  Although if you look at my reels most are in the 5s or even 4s, just because of the models I have. 

Since I'm fishing in the salt, there are times where 40lb line is the same as fishing with 4lb for bass, so although the gear is a lot heavier it is still takes the same techniques needed for 4lb on bass.  When fishing that heavy, rod balance comes into play a lot more because of the extra weight.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 24 queries.