Reel for walking the dog

Started by cddan408, January 07, 2016, 06:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cddan408

I'm interested in a good reel for walking the dog style lures.$200-$300 price range or less.  I was hoping to get feedback on what works best. 
Reel needs to have a good anti reverse. Any suggestions? Brand, ipt, line. My revo has too much handle play to effectively work those baits. 

LgMouthGambler

Reel has nothing to do with walking the dog. That is all in the rod tip and the person using the rig.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cddan408

I understand.  I was just looking for suggestions for reels that work well for that technique.  Baitcasting reels specifically.  There are so many new reels.  Just trying to see what works best for others that I haven't been able to try yet.

31airborne

Handle play in your Revo?  You may wanna get it checked out.  I use Revos almost exclusively, to include walking baits.  Not a problem for me.

Only reel factor I consider for this presentation is retrieve speed.  I like a hi-speed (~6.3/4:1) ratio.

cddan408

Yes I may get it checked or get a new reel also.  Ty

31airborne

For the $ it's hard to beat that Revo, IMHO.

Capt. BassinLou

LMG, hit the nail on the head. Walking the dog has nothing to do with the reel. Now, if you are looking for suggestions to replace the Revo then that's another question.
As far as walking the dog, the two things I would look at is your rod type, and your technique. You can walk a bait for a little distance without even turning the handle.

cddan408

Yes reel suggestions are what I was looking for.  Walking the dog I have done for some time.  Maybe 30 years or so. It's a great technique and works more often than not.  I love my revos guess they need some servicing.  Had hoped some of the newer reels cast better or fit the technique best. 

LgMouthGambler

I would say go for the new Citica if you want a good fresh water reel. For the money its hard to beat. If you really want to spend that 200-300, look into the Chronarch Ci4 or even the new Daiwa SV103 which is a replica of the TD Zillion with an SV spool. Stay away from the Pure fishing/Doyo style reels if you want something built better than what you got now.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cddan408

Last year I returned an original td zillion, I wish I kept it for sure.  But now I see the new sv103 I could redeem myself.  I assume its too new to get any feedback on its performance

cddan408

I'm confused on its air brake? Is that just the inductive rotor?

Mike Cork

Reel shouldn't have anything to do with walking baits, but I promise you that if you are trying to teach someone how to walk a bait, a slower reel will work better for them. Anglers just learning always want to take up to much slack.

That said, if your accomplished at the technique, I'd get the fastest reel you can and control your own speed. To include not tearing the hooks from a fish after being hooked.

Since this is a top water set a good drag will help, any brand in that price range will have a good drag. I'm a Shimano fan and will times 2 LgMouthGambler's suggestions.

As far as the play in your revo? It may need a new anti reverse bearing, typically the crank shaft bearing doesn't wear in a way to create slop. Is it side to side, in and out, or back play? I would assume it's back play since it's effecting your walking bait presentation and that can be fixed with a new Anti Reverse bearing.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

cddan408

Yes it's back play in the gen3. Becomes less with the greatest drag tension.  It has the gen3 virus. 

cddan408

I believe it's from having plastic race in the anti reverse bearing and they flex

Mike Cork

Guess it's possible? Not sure what a bearing for that would cost but it would be cheaper than a new reel. However if you are done with it, I get that too.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

cddan408

Perfect reels for spinnerbait and worms M. C.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: cddan408 on January 07, 2016, 08:14:54 AM
I'm confused on its air brake? Is that just the inductive rotor?

The brake rotor is on a spring, so the faster it spins, the more of the rotor that gets pushed into the magnet housing. Awesome braking system.

cddan408

Ok. Thats what's on my t3 ballistic.  I thought it may be but wasn't sure.  It kinda failed on the t3 ballistic but was easily super glued and hasn't failed since.  The sv103 is made in Japan so hopefully it wouldn't do the same thing.  Pretty easy fix though.  I noticed also daiwas anti reverse is pretty solid even on their lower end offerings. 

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: cddan408 on January 07, 2016, 09:04:27 AM
Ok. Thats what's on my t3 ballistic.  I thought it may be but wasn't sure.  It kinda failed on the t3 ballistic but was easily super glued and hasn't failed since.  The sv103 is made in Japan so hopefully it wouldn't do the same thing.  Pretty easy fix though.  I noticed also daiwas anti reverse is pretty solid even on their lower end offerings.

T3 is a bit different, thats a 3d system. Pretty much the same idea on the rotor, but the SV spool is better built.

cddan408

Yes mines the ballistic (not japan made) with the 3d system ($100 at tw a while back)

If built right that sv spool and the sv103 looks like it would be a step above the old td zillion.  Definetly a reel I would enjoy. 

Polaris425

I'd look at the BB1 from Lew's... As mentioned speed isn't going to matter as much in this case,

I think the most important factor would be casting distance, so you could make long casts and cover as much water as possible from one spot.

So with that said, I'd look at the Lew's BB1 which will cast a country mile, or these new reels I'm carrying from Sixgill, that will sure enough cast a country mile. Price range is very similar to the BB1, and they have cork handles, honestly I think they are made by the same company making 13 reels. Because they look almost identical, but don't carry the 13 concepts price tag.

Lastly, I have one BB1 left in stock that I actually have on sale right now, and would bring you in WAY under your mentioned budget. And I could ship it to you today.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

cddan408

I truly appreciate the offer but I was really looking for a good discussion on the new reel designs and I'm not real keen on lews just yet.  They are known great reels but I haven't used one and understand the overall platform but can't justify a lews.  Thanks for the offer but I'm not ready

OutdoorFrontiers

Heck, I've successfully worked Zara Spooks and similar lures in a walking the dog fashion with everything from an Ambassaduer 5500 to a Shimano Chronarch.  It doesn't matter what the reel is, it matters what the angler does with it!

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

cddan408

Definetly truth.  When it comes to half steping and consistant cadence it helps I noticed to have a reel with little back plat in the handle. Both reels you mention have small amounts of backplay at looser drag settings than the revo gen 3 stx/premier I own. The bass I've experienced respond best to aconstant med. to fast cadence with little change in the retrieve in open water. 

cddan408

Quote from: cddan408 on January 07, 2016, 09:03:24 PM
Definetly truth.  When it comes to half steping and consistant cadence it helps I noticed to have a reel with little back play in the handle. Both reels you mention have small amounts of backplay at looser drag settings than the revo gen 3 stx/premier I own. The bass I've experienced respond best to aconstant med. to fast cadence with little change in the retrieve in open water.