Reel for walking the dog

Started by cddan408, January 07, 2016, 06:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loomisguy

Your just rolling up slack ,Makes no difference at all what reel it is. Pick what feels comfortable to you.
What rod are you using ?

cddan408

cddan408

And a curado I figure that reel should work great.  Thanks for all the help everyone. 

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: cddan408 on January 08, 2016, 09:54:16 AM
And a curado I figure that reel should work great.  Thanks for all the help everyone.
I own several Curado I's and they are very good reels imho.

loomisguy

Yep, The Curado I would be a good choice.
What model Loomis ?

cddan408

E6,but I was interested in reels but its all good thank you.  The curado I performs perfectly for me.  I was able to practice some on a pond and I really enjoyed using it.  My only thing I didn't like is the handle side bearing is sealed in the graphite sideplate making it difficult to service (flush bearing)

coldfront

Quote from: cddan408 on January 07, 2016, 07:10:00 AM
I understand.  I was just looking for suggestions for reels that work well for that technique.  Baitcasting reels specifically.  There are so many new reels.  Just trying to see what works best for others that I haven't been able to try yet.
higher speed retrieve/more inches/handle turn would be the only thing I'd offer as 'helpful'.  ability to take up slack and/or catch up to a fish that can be 'slashing and running' is never a bad thing.
I've used ambassador c3's and shimano curados for past *gulp* 30+ years now.  reel ratios of 5.3:1 all the way up to 7... 

the other possibility:  deeper spool might help support longer casts.

Fun4me

This thread is 5 years old. I hope he found a reel by now

D.W. Verts

Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Capt. BassinLou

Just a FYI. When an old thread is posted on and brought back to life, such as this one, 99% of the time they are spammers. They love going into old threads. If anyone ever comes across an old activated thread, and the language or question really seem off, just click the "report to moderator" tab. We'll cuff them for you guys.  PoPo PoPo

Oldfart9999

I agree with what Mike and LMG said, reel doesn't matter, heck, I learned to walk the dog with a spinning reel before I knew better. My latest setup is MH BPS CRANKING STICK with a PRO QAULIFIER reel in 7:1 range, whole setup is around 150 and works great.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

jwkelley51

I throw only the small stuff over open water, on points. Spook jr., Ima skimmer, e pop and chug bugs. I like a long cast and a spinning reel, braid to leader, works good for me. They walk themselves with with pretty much any 7 ft. medium spinning rod. Deciding how vigorous to move it and the long cast is key for me. I just thought I'd put that out there in case someone wants to try the technique but not invest a lot to get started.