Your First Baitcaster

Started by Ben Ott, January 17, 2016, 08:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Ott

Mine was a Daiwa Procaster PMA 10S. I still got it and it still works, though the anti reverse slips sometimes. I haven't used it in years. I started bass fishing when I was 12 or so. Saved my money and bought a cheap open face. Went fishing with my dad and he said, if your gonna bass fish, you got to learn to throw a bait caster. He handed me that real and said I could have it. Picked out backlashes for the rest of the day. Finally chunked that old spinnerbait and didn't bird nest and in my moment of glory he asked, you ready to go now. Lol! Guess I was feeling sentimental tonight. This was mine. What was yours?

earldogg

I've been spoiled from the beginning,  shimano curado 201e7.

ryan1995

Quantum Nitrous baitcaster from Dick's Sporting Goods. Came as a rod and reel combo for $50. I used it for half a season until it started grinding and then went to a Lew's speed spool.
Member of the LSCR club

Polaris425

Ambassador Mag I. Have had it since 1987, I inherited it when my Uncle passed away.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

jsparky93

Shimano Bantam  Speedmaster 2200 SG

blkfalc4

Wow,,, feeling old....anti-reverse? no such thing when I started.

Learned on old school Abu Garcia Ambassadeurs and Penns....no brakes, no mags....only your thumb.
2005 Ranger 519VX w/200HO Etec

MissouriFishin

Mine was an H2O Mettle just a couple years ago. Got it for $29.99 when they were clearing them out in advance of the release of the Mettle 2. That thing has been a reliable workhorse ever since.

LgMouthGambler

Shimano Bantam Curado200B. I saved my money when I was about 10. Bought it at Sports Authority,  if I remeber right it was $129.95. My Dad thought I was nuts.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Donald Garner

ABU Garica 5000D the green one.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Pferox

A round Shakespeare reel, don't remember the number, was more a conventional reel than a bait caster, but it did have a level wind.  Wish I still had it, it was a workhorse, not like the Shakespeare junk now a days.

After that it was Penns and Garcias for a long time.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

njpaulc

tooboocoo

Shimano Bantam 251's....still use them today.

bigjim5589

Mine was a Shimano Bantam that I got in a outfit with a 6' rod. I sold it to a fellow I worked with to give him his first baitcaster. I didn't fish with it much.

First one I fished any amount of time was an ABU 5000 on a BPS Crankin Stick both of which I still have.  :)

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Donald Garner

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

analfisherman

"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Smallie_Stalker

My first baitcaster was on an old steel rod that my father had. It was a direct drive reel with no anti-reverse. You could turn the handle in either direction. He gave it to me in 1966 or 67. I fished with that until I got my first spinning setup in 1970 for my 10th birthday.

My first "modern" baitcaster was a round Abu Garcia. I don't even remember the model number. That was late 70's or early 80's. Not sure on that either.  ~b~
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

edwonbass

My first was a lefty Shimano Bantam something that I bought as a combo. I didn't get a birds nest the first time I casted. It was more like an eagles nest! It eventually got stolen out of my truck.

bluebonnet2

good morning,

garcia 5000....about 35 years ago...red...trained my thumb very well, sometimes i even forget i'm even using my thumb on these "new" reels.... ~roflmao ~roflmao  glass rods, go figure  !!!!!!!!!!

good luck,
PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2
here we go!!!!!
vietnam vet...4th inf. div. 66-67
Life member BASS

Thornback

My first bait caster was a brand new Bill Dance purchased at a flea market for $20. I spent hours in the yard trying to learn how to cast that puppy. I became an expert at picking out back lashes long before I became a casting pro :)

Gwamba

Pflueger Akron...direct drive...1950s vintage
Dobyns Rods   Piscifun Reels   Xcite Baits 
Rapala  Strike King

Mike Bush

Quantum KVD model. First one he had his name on.

DonM

A few years ago Mike Cork asked me to write a something for the forum regarding fishing experiences and this is what I wrote, regarding my first modern bait-casting rig:

Back in the  late 70s, I was fishing on Lake Millwood in Arkansas with a friend.  I had just that day bought a brand new Ambassadeur 5001C reel, and let me tell you it was EXPENSIVE at the time.
Well we tied on big black worms and the first cast I felt a tap, set the hook, and immediately the fish pulled the rod and reel right out of my hand and it was gone before I could jump for it.  The water was about 15 feet deep and very cold.
I borrowed a rod from my friend because I only had one.  We both tied on deep-diving crank baits, Mudbugs I think, and started reeling them as fast as possible, trying to snag the rod and reel off the bottom.  Only thing is we started catching bass instead--nice bass.  We caught about 7 or 8 over the next 45 minutes, and then I hooked a REALLY big one.  I fought it for several minutes and finally got a glimpse of it, and there was another  bass right beside it.  I got it up to the boat and my friend got a net on it.  It wasn't but about two pounds, but it was wrapped around a fishing line that made it feel bigger.
Well, I pulled in the line by hand and felt another fish on that line.  Sure enough it was attached to my 5001C and rod.  We got the entire rig back along with both fish.  The first bass had totally swallowed the worm and hook and wasn't ever going to get loose.  I cut the line and released it although we kept all his friends!
BTW I still have that reel in the garage.  It was one of the first top-of-the-line baitcasting reels with left hand retrieve.  I used it for many years and still could today I suppose.
DonM
DonM

jwfflipper14

http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Mc98d2fcfd64be980507e29d3cf047539o0&w=300&h=188&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

This was my first baitcaster and now I have 5 and still use them.

Well I guess the pic didn't show up but it's a Dawia ProLite 100 the silver

Jeff

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: jwfflipper14 on February 03, 2016, 04:51:21 PM
http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Mc98d2fcfd64be980507e29d3cf047539o0&w=300&h=188&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

This was my first baitcaster and now I have 5 and still use them.

Well I guess the pic didn't show up but it's a Dawia ProLite 100 the silver

Jeff

I have one of those on my collectable shelf.

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

tholmes

My first baitcaster was a Shakespeare 1920 Model FK given to me by my Grandpa, along with a Shakespeare steel Wonderod,  when I was about 10 years old after an approx. 3 lb. bass had eviscerated my Zebco 202. He told me that if I was gonna be a bass fisherman, I needed proper gear.

It now occupies a place of honor in my office.

Tom
There are no magic lures, and the fish don't care what you paid for your gear.