Which reel

Started by fish_sauce, January 28, 2016, 12:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fish_sauce

I'm deciding between two reels. 

First contender will be the Shimano Casitas.  This is the Japanese version with an MGL spool.  It won't be available till April.  The new spool is supposed to be superior to the ones on the US version.  It also holds 10 more yards of line, 120 yards of 12lb line.  I will be using 10 lb mono.  Below is a picture of the reel.  Here's a link aswell.
http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/reel/4357

The next contender will be the Shimano Cronarch CI4.  There is one big advantage I have if I purchase this one.  I will be getting it at the Japanese price of $210-215 US dollars.  However, there are a couple of disadvantages.  First, my wife may kill me for even thinking about it.  Second, I'm supposed to be saving since I'm moving back home to Cali in a year.  Is there a big advantage to getting this reel over the Casitas?  Unless there is a huge advantage over the Casitas, I'm most likely going to buy the Casitas.

I will be using this new reel on everything from bass to king salmon in the American River to sturgeon in the Sacramento delta.  This will be a multi purpose reel.  I know some of you may think I'm crazy for using such a small reel on big fish.  Well, I've always fished for big fish using the lightest tackle I can get away with.  I once tackled a good size sturgeon on the old green Curado, with a medium action TD light and tough rod using 10 lb test.  I was fishing on the Dumbarton bride in SF Bay.  Everyone there thought I was crazy until they saw a sturgeon jumping at the end of my line.  Also used the same Curado for numerous salmon. 

So, opinions? Anyone have experience with either reel?

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]

LgMouthGambler

Build quality is going to be the big advantage. Different materials in the frame construction, better bearings, and better performance. The Chronarch is a lot tougher of a reel than the Casitas as far as fighting beg fish, or even flipping for fish with heavy line.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

fish_sauce

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on January 28, 2016, 06:58:23 AM
Build quality is going to be the big advantage. Different materials in the frame construction, better bearings, and better performance. The Chronarch is a lot tougher of a reel than the Casitas as far as fighting beg fish, or even flipping for fish with heavy line.
The Chronarch is one sweet reel.  That's for sure.  I believe it's made of their CI4 material, and contains no metal parts.  Is that correct?  Sounds so tempting.  Plus, it will cost a lot more if I purchase it back home.  My plan was to put away a little from my paycheck and purchase it 3-4 months from now.  That way, my wife won't notice money missing from my paychecks.   ~roflmao

LgMouthGambler

Yes, fully Ci4. I was skeptical of the durability when they first came out as well. I fished with Jasper pro Chad Morgenthaler last year, and uses these reel for flipping and he even said they hold up with no noticeable flex. I would say go for the Ci4. And if the wife yells at you, just blame me. Everyone else on here does.  ~roflmao
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

fish_sauce

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on January 28, 2016, 07:26:32 AM
Yes, fully Ci4. I was skeptical of the durability when they first came out as well. I fished with Jasper pro Chad Morgenthaler last year, and uses these reel for flipping and he even said they hold up with no noticeable flex. I would say go for the Ci4. And if the wife yells at you, just blame me. Everyone else on here does.  ~roflmao
Oh man, I can't stop looking at that reel.  It's such a great bargain.  I may just have to buy it.  You're a very humorous guy LMG.   lo

LgMouthGambler

I have been told im kind of humerous/smart a$$.  ~roflmao

I was contemplating that reel as well, but decided to jump on the Daiwa SS SV as my next acquisition.

gsxrfanim

If you are considering the Casitas buy the Chronarch at the Japan price and sell it on here for a little profit and buy two Casitas.
You can always use two reels instead of one.
Then its 4, then 8, then 15+ and your wife is threatening you that you have too many. :help:
"The only thing we have to fear, is losing a $15 Crank"

fish_sauce

I went to inquire about the Chronarch today.  The reel will cost me about $205 US dollars.  I need a lefty, and the only lefty they have is the high gear one.  I don't really want the HG version.  So, I may have to pay a deposit and wait months for one.  Apparantly, nobody really cares for Chronarchs in Asia.  They want Scorpions, Antares, Aldebarans(there are a few different models as opposed to only one in the US), and Metaniums(also a few different ones).  No one here cares for Citicas, Curados, or Chronarchs.  I have a hard time figuring out what people here want or don't want.  Maybe they're just spoiled with all the crazy varieties of Shimano reels here!  Although I'm an Asian American and look Asian, I'm as American as apple pie.  This also goes for all aspects of life here as well.  And I just married a Taiwanese chick too!  Anyways, back to the subject.  Still deciding whether to order the Chronarch or look at one of the non US reels.  I don't want to break the bank either.

fish_sauce

Also, funny thing.  I bought a Zodias rod and asked about the warranty.  I was told that Zodias rods are bottom tier Shimanos and don't come with warranties.  It did cost me $95 US dollars for one.  They have some crazy Shimano rods here.  There's a new Bantam rod that came out for 2016, 3X's the price of my Zodias.  That and a bunch of other high end rods.  Even the Zodias rods here, there's about 30 different ones to choose from.  I guess that although people in the states love Zodias rods, here it's just your average low priced Shimano item.

LgMouthGambler

Wow that's pretty crazy!

fish_sauce

Quote from: gsxrfanim on February 01, 2016, 08:45:50 AM
If you are considering the Casitas buy the Chronarch at the Japan price and sell it on here for a little profit and buy two Casitas.
You can always use two reels instead of one.
Then its 4, then 8, then 15+ and your wife is threatening you that you have too many. :help:
That would be cool.  Start a side business to make some $$$ to buy more fishing gear.  It wouldn't be two Casitas.  It would be both the Casitas and Chronarch, just to start.   lo