Utilizing what I have

Started by CaliLipRipper, May 03, 2016, 08:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaliLipRipper

Hey Fellas, first off I'm new to the forum and also just getting into fishing at a more serious level. I'm from Northern California and my home lake is Clear Lake. I just recently got into kayak fishing so I'm both offshore to a point  and bank fishing. The problem I'm currently running into is utilizing my arsenal and getting the most out of the gear I've acquired over the years... This question pertains to my baitcaster/rod combos.
I've read so much on this forum and other online sites that I feel like my reel ratios and rod actions just don't add up. I purchased this gear before really understanding the use but now I need to make the best of it. My hope is y'all can take the gear I have and match it up for certain styles of fishing based on your opinion. So here's the gear I have first I'll start with reels and ratios

Johnny Morris 7.1:1

Shimano curado 6.3:1

Abu Garcia Revo S 6.4:1

And for my rods I have:
G loomis gl3 Heavy/fast
Shimano Clarus Medium/fast
Bass pro gs series Medium Heavy/ fast
All rods are 6'6"

If you can take this gear and pair it up and tell me what might be best for soft plastics or cranking or top water etc. it would really help me out of you feel like there is a big gap in my arsenal please explain I'm in the market for a new rod/reel combo if needed thanks ahead of time.

Polaris425

The GL3 would make a good worm/jig/shakyhead Rod.

The Clarus for cranking, rattle traps, small top water

And the GS for everything else that kinda falls in the middle. Lol

The reels are so close together  in ratio really doesn't matter.

And welcome to UB!!

Posted via TapaTalk for iPhone6
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Donald Garner

CaliLipRipper

Welcome to the UltimateBass Family we're glad you're here  ~c~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

CaliLipRipper

Thanks for the reply Warrior and thank you Donald!

Warrior do you feel like I could benefit from another setup to kind of fill the void you mentioned the GS rod for everything else and my reels being to close in ratio to matter

Polaris425

Honestly I think you've got it covered.

One each of M, MH, H is a good start...

It all depends on what all you like/want to throw as well. If you want you could use the H (GL3) for jigs, the MH for texas rigs/shakyheads, and the M for cranking and top water.

Or if you were going to go somewhere and throw texas rig, squarebills, and spinnerbaits, then you could go H for worms, MH for spinnerbaits, and M for squarebills...

Each of those weights of rods will work fine for a range of applications.

Make us a list of the types of baits you use the most, and will be focusing on when going fishing.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Mike Cork

Welcome to the site.

I think Warrior River Tackle has you set up just about as good as you can get. Only thing I can add is to use the fastest gear ratio on your soft plastics and jig rod so that you can take up line quickly before a hook set. The speed will help retrieve quickly to make another cast or pitch as well.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

31airborne

That GL3 will have enuff backbone to throw one of those famous CA rainbow trout swimming baits, too.

Agree w/ the other doods - you're off to a great start.  Good balance of gear.

Welcome aboard!

cortman

Welcome to UB! It's a great community here- I'm fairly new myself.
Those combos look like they would serve you very well. I can't add much to what the others were saying.

CaliLipRipper

Thanks everyone for the response and the welcoming environment. To add some info I mostly throw senkos, rattle traps and jigs and at the right time of year top water hollow body frogs and smaller swimbaits

Lipripper

Hello and welcome to Ultimate Bass will be looking for some reports from your fishing trips. ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Smallie_Stalker

Hey CaliLipRipper. Welcome to the Ultimate Bass family! Pleasure to have you with us. Pull up a chair, make yourself right at home and jump in wherever you feel comfortable. 

If you would like to win some free gear from some of the great companies that sponsor our site be sure and put your name in for the New Member's Contest and the Weekly Contests .

In the meantime if I can be of any help with anything please don't hesitate to contact me. Looking forward to seeing you around the boards and to learning from what you share with us.

Once again, Welcome!

><> Smallie_Stalker  <><
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Oldfart9999

All I can add is the others have it covered. Welcome to the best da99 site going for bass fishing!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

CaliLipRipper

Cool I feel like I'm on the right track now! Thanks everyone for your input! I have some other questions I'd like to ask also. I figured do it on this topic rather than start another hope this is OK. My next question is line types, I know you guys get this a lot based on my reading through this forum, I'd like to know if fluoro for senkos and other soft plastics is the right call it seems like most people have phased out mono and went with braid and fluoro as a whole is this true? My next question is regarding the joining of braid to a leader... I've read most of y'all prefer the double uni but all the YouTube vids I watched on how to tie this knot say it's for joining lines of equal diameter is that the case?