This sucker is getting heavy

Started by rockchalk06, August 27, 2016, 05:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockchalk06

Bought the wheel set and installed another anchor trolley. I really like having one on either side.

The box and rod holders are going away. I can't reach around to grab and stow them without feeling like I'm going over the side. I'm going to go back to the drawling board on stowing more than two rods.

This was the first time with the rods off the deck. It was really nice not having to messing with a cluttered deck.

Princeton_Man

She seems to be setting a low in the water and you're not even in it! ~roflmao

You need a bigger yak! ~roflmao
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

rockchalk06

cortman

Looking good, I too found that less is usually much better when it comes to a kayak. I tricked mine out with all kinds of stuff but I really stripped it down this season and like it much better.

rockchalk06

Quote from: cortman on August 27, 2016, 10:40:48 PM
Looking good, I too found that less is usually much better when it comes to a kayak. I tricked mine out with all kinds of stuff but I really stripped it down this season and like it much better.

I'm wanting to add a trolling motor and a battery too so thats going to add a bunch of weight. I will pull them to load and unload of course, but paddling may be a challenge.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: rockchalk06 on August 28, 2016, 09:07:53 AM
I'm wanting to add a trolling motor and a battery too so thats going to add a bunch of weight. I will pull them to load and unload of course, but paddling may be a challenge.

You should have gone this route.
https://youtu.be/7zUDjaMmXzw
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Lipripper

So did you find out if you would need to get the tags or regester it if you put a TM on it in?

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

rockchalk06

Quote from: Princeton_Man on August 28, 2016, 09:30:35 AM
You should have gone this route.
https://youtu.be/7zUDjaMmXzw

I'm doing good just to stay on top of this sucker at a crawl. lo

rockchalk06

Quote from: Lipripper on August 28, 2016, 09:31:18 AM
So did you find out if you would need to get the tags or regester it if you put a TM on it in?

Its still defined by the state as a paddle boat. The guy at the DMV was pretty sure I wouldn't have to. I'm wanting on official word on paper first

Lipripper

That would be good save you some $$$$$ that you can spend on some more fishing stuff. ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Oldfart9999

Technically here in NY it would have to be registered as a power boat, with no motor no registration is needed.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

rockchalk06

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on August 28, 2016, 10:46:51 AM
Technically here in NY it would have to be registered as a power boat, with no motor no registration is needed.
Rodney

Oklahoma is funny like that. They just changed the law last year where paddle boats didn't need registered.

Dark3

What about the but end of the rods next to you on either side and the tips facing to the rear at a 30-45 degree angle? Not sure if they would be in the way there when landing a fish
Something like this with 3 rods on either side. This is exactly a 30 degree angle sais iphone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockchalk06

Quote from: Dark3 on August 28, 2016, 12:07:22 PM
What about the but end of the rods next to you on either side and the tips facing to the rear at a 30-45 degree angle? Not sure if they would be in the way there when landing a fish
Something like this with 3 rods on either side. This is exactly a 30 degree angle sais iphone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats kinda whats I'm going for, but I would like them to ride inside the kayak so I don't smack them on a tree etc.

I was thinking about the two rear facing rod holders that were factory installed. I could get a few more of them and just mount them in the deck like they were factory?

cortman

Wow nice. I've never thought of trying that on a yak before but I've heard of it. Good luck! If it works out that'd probably be a nice fishing machine, but if it was up to me, at that point I would have just gotten a little 8' or 10' jon boat. :)

rockchalk06

Quote from: cortman on August 28, 2016, 09:53:46 PM
Wow nice. I've never thought of trying that on a yak before but I've heard of it. Good luck! If it works out that'd probably be a nice fishing machine, but if it was up to me, at that point I would have just gotten a little 8' or 10' jon boat. :)

My problem is storage. I was able to put an 8' two man bass boat in the garage, but could barely get out of my truck. Can't put it in the yard or driveway.

cortman

Quote from: rockchalk06 on August 29, 2016, 05:33:36 AM

My problem is storage. I was able to put an 8' two man bass boat in the garage, but could barely get out of my truck. Can't put it in the yard or driveway.

Makes sense. Lack of storage is no fun.

rockchalk06

Quote from: cortman on August 29, 2016, 07:54:12 AM
Makes sense. Lack of storage is no fun.

Yes sir. My wife and I have a really really nice house that is damn near paid 50% off. 3700 SQFT but it only has a two car garage. If we had a 3 car, I'd of had a tracker by now.

We have plenty of storage units around me and I could always park my truck outside, but 16 years in LEO have taught me two things. Storage Units are always getting broken into and no vehicle left outside is secure.