Nitro 901 CDX

Started by softpickle, June 19, 2016, 08:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

softpickle

Hello all. I am new to the forum and have a question about my boat. I have a 2001 Nitro 901 CDX with a 200 mercury optimax. It has a mercury marine tempest plus 3 blade prop, I believe it is a 25° prop. I am having issues with the hole shot. It takes around 15-25 seconds before it gets on plane. I have a hot foot and have tried going 0 to wot and slowly increasing throttle, but same results. The prop has 3 vent holes in it. I tried removing all three plugs but with all of them removed, it cavitates water at around 4200 rpm's. I am able to get on plane with just one hole plugged with a plug that has a reduced hole in it, but it still feels sluggish getting on plane. At wot put of hole, I only manage 3000 rpm's then it finally increases slowly until on plane. Once on plane, I run around 5300-5500 rpm's. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Donald Garner

softpickle,

First welcome to the UltimateBass Family we're glad you're here  ~c~

I can't help you with the question.   Once the Nitro and Mercury guys see this they have the answer for ya.

While you're waiting on the guys to provide you an answer.   Click on the link below and introduce yourself.  Again welcome to UltimateBass we're glad you're part of the family.

Get to Know You
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Princeton_Man

Welcome aboard!

After re-powering last year, I learned that there's A LOT of possible answers to hole shot and prop performance issues. Is this something that has changed since you've had the boat or has it performed like that since you first got it?
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Lee Smith

Welcome to UB!  ~c~

If you haven't changed anything on the boat, I would look at engine performance.  Things like plugs, low fuel pressure, etc. You may just need a new set of plugs.   
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

softpickle

The boat has always performed like this since I had it. Changed out the plugs and fuel filter last year.

Lee Smith

Quote from: softpickle on June 20, 2016, 07:08:46 AM
The boat has always performed like this since I had it. Changed out the plugs and fuel filter last year.

Ok, start looking at set up.  Your WOT is not where it needs to be so there are a couple things to look at, motor height and prop.  Do you have a jack plate?  Is the boat loaded down?  If you don't have a plate, I would recommend going down in pitch, if you do have a plate, start moving the motor up in 1/4" increments until you start loosing water pressure, normal is to start at 3.5" below pad to the middle of the cone on the bottom end and go up from there. 

softpickle

I believe I do have a jack plate. I have not touched it since I bought the boat from a dealer. It is more sluggish when I have a full tank of fuel vs half a tank. I try to keep my fishing gear in front of the consoles and I have not been filling my live wells.

Lee Smith

Quote from: softpickle on June 20, 2016, 07:34:09 AM
I believe I do have a jack plate. I have not touched it since I bought the boat from a dealer. It is more sluggish when I have a full tank of fuel vs half a tank. I try to keep my fishing gear in front of the consoles and I have not been filling my live wells.

Start there, and get it where it needs to be, you want to see 5800 to 6000 RPM's at WOT.  Once you get the best you can by adjusting the plate, if your still having hole shot issues will probably be time to go down in Prop pitch.  You don't want weight in the front of the boat for top end speed, I try to keep everything heavy in the back.

softpickle

Quote from: Lee Smith on June 20, 2016, 07:52:58 AM
Start there, and get it where it needs to be, you want to see 5800 to 6000 RPM's at WOT.  Once you get the best you can by adjusting the plate, if your still having hole shot issues will probably be time to go down in Prop pitch.  You don't want weight in the front of the boat for top end speed, I try to keep everything heavy in the back.

Ok. Thank you. As for my fishing gear, I only have about 8 rods and three bags of lures and such.

Ron Fogelson

The 901 is a great fishing boat but has always been sluggish with only a 200.

My 2003 929 with a 225 Opti had a max RPM of 5,550 and turning both a 25 and or a 26 pitch tempest+ had me running 68 to 69.4 1st being the 25 best being the 26 pitch.

Hole shot like you was sluggish until I pulled two hole wide open and used the largest plug hole in the 3rd sitting 3.5 below pad. 

The 901 if I remember right is almost as heavy as the 929 with 25 to 50 hp less add in a full tournament load and it quickly can become underpowered for what people expect in a 19ft boat.  I would expect that the motor is a bit to high to get the max speed and as you see is making the hole shot less then perfect.  Do a prop to pad measurement and see where it's at, double check your max RPM's Lee may be spot on with the 200 I just don't know.  :-\

softpickle

Hey guys. Sorry it has taken me a little bit to get back to you all. I measured the lower unit and it is 3 1/2 inches below the pad. What would you recommend as a better prop pitch for this boat? I have found another plug similar to the one that it is in it and have re-installed it in the prop vent holes. I have yet to test it to see if it has made any difference yet.

Ron Fogelson

With the vent holes you have to play with them,,, you want them open to help spin the prop up to speed fast but not so open that it causes the prop to slip and not be able to have enough grip to get the boat up on pad.  With my 929, 225 opti and 25 and 26 pitch tempest my best was two hole wide open nothing in them and one hole with a plug with the biggest hole they make.

If you have a jack plate I'd say come down about 1/4 inch and run her and see if anything changes on hole shot.  If not come down another 1/4 inch and do another run,,,,, if still no change I'd say you will need to drop down one pitch and run her,,,, and if it's about the same or better then raise the jack plate 1/4 inch and run it and see if it's the same/better/or worse and just go from there.  I'd stick with the tempest plus for that boat but have read others have had good luck with the trophy,,,, every boat is a bit different and then you have different drivers both in how they drive and how they are built  lo a 5'5" 150lbs driver isn't going to have the same results as a 6'4" 350lbs driver  ;) then add in the different tournament loads and you can see how different each boat can be.

Best to get with a few buds and swap props at the lake, makes for a fun day and gives you a lot of different options without blowing a ton of $$$$$ trying to find the right prop for you.  ~sun

softpickle

Thank you very much Ron for the reply. I will definitely try that. I had a friend give me another prop to try but I needed thrust washers because the prop slid on and came in contact with the back of the lower unit. The plugs I have been using for the vent hole have the center out of them but I am not sure if they are the largest size you can get.

After reading your reply, I also think I may be weighed down some. I am 6'2" and 230 lbs. The boat seems to do ok with just me in it but when I have a fishing partner in it or a 3rd, it may just be over weighted.

On a side note, is there any way to do away with the automatic oiler without causing any problems on the optimax?  I have been told that by the time the light comes on on the dash, it is too late and damage will have already occurred.

Smallie_Stalker

Hey softpickle. Welcome to the Ultimate Bass family! Pleasure to have you with us. Pull up a chair, make yourself right at home and jump in wherever you feel comfortable. 

If you would like to win some free gear from some of the great companies that sponsor our site be sure and put your name in for the New Member's Contest and the Weekly Contests .

In the meantime if I can be of any help with anything please don't hesitate to contact me. Looking forward to seeing you around the boards and to learning from what you share with us.

Once again, Welcome!

><> Smallie_Stalker  <><
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Lee Smith

Quote from: softpickle on June 21, 2016, 04:38:36 PM
Thank you very much Ron for the reply. I will definitely try that. I had a friend give me another prop to try but I needed thrust washers because the prop slid on and came in contact with the back of the lower unit. The plugs I have been using for the vent hole have the center out of them but I am not sure if they are the largest size you can get.

After reading your reply, I also think I may be weighed down some. I am 6'2" and 230 lbs. The boat seems to do ok with just me in it but when I have a fishing partner in it or a 3rd, it may just be over weighted.

On a side note, is there any way to do away with the automatic oiler without causing any problems on the optimax?  I have been told that by the time the light comes on on the dash, it is too late and damage will have already occurred.

yes, any shop in your area should be able to make the conversion fairly cheap.

hense29

Curious on resolution.  I have the same issue with a '00 901 CDX - its lead sled and I can only get 54gps with a Tempest 25 and takes FOREVER to get on plane.

Smallie_Stalker

Hey hense29. Welcome to the Ultimate Bass family! Pleasure to have you with us. Pull up a chair, make yourself right at home and jump in wherever you feel comfortable. 

Sorry I can't help you out with your problem but I'm sure some others will be around to follow up soon now that they see this topic is active again.

In the meantime if you would like to win some free gear from some of the great companies that sponsor our site be sure and put your name in for the New Member's Contest and the Weekly Contests .

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards and to learning from what you share with us.

In the meantime, if you need any help with anything at all please don't hesitate to contact me or any other staff member.

Once again, Welcome!

><> Smallie_Stalker  <><

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

softpickle

Quote from: hense29 on July 17, 2017, 05:07:43 PM
Curious on resolution.  I have the same issue with a '00 901 CDX - its lead sled and I can only get 54gps with a Tempest 25 and takes FOREVER to get on plane.

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I tried messing with the jackplate but it did not help. I am still running the same prop with 2 of the 3 plugs removed. I have just gotten used to being slow on the hole shot but I believe a prop with a smaller pitch would help me get on plane but, of course, it will slow my top end down.

DonM

I was having problems getting up quickly with 150 Merc on 19 foot Pro Gator.  I bought a Hydrofoil at Bass Pro and it made ALL the difference in the world.  It pops right up now.
DonM