Got my Ouachita back with new aluminum

Started by Kris, June 20, 2016, 03:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

Thanks Lipripper,
Plan on catching some fish soon.  Took one rod with me today but only had two hits that didn't get hooked.  Today was more of a shake down run for the boat than a fishing day.  I wanted to discharge the batteries as much as possible since they have been sitting since the end of Season last year.  I put new Group 29 batteries in the Grumman to make it more desirable to purchase.  Local Battery Warehouse has the same Trojan, SCS-225, batteries for a touch over $200 each.  Probably end up replacing them one every couple of months.  Wanna put the same batteries in the Ranger also.  My part-time job sells Optima Batteries but I still have my doubts on them.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

West6550

Congratulations on the successful build. She looks great for sure! Now get it finished, catch some fish, win a tourney or ten and have a beer.. or ten!

Pferox

It came out nice Kris.  Did you notice anything you wanted to change after it's maiden voyage?
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Kris

Thanks Guys,
It has turned out better than expected.  I figured from the abuse this old girl has been through there would be leak of some kind.  From what I can see, the hull is totally dry.  I put the boat up on a concrete block to get enough height at the bow to run everything out.  I didn't pull the plug until I had the bow in the air at home.  Nothing.
As a matter of fact Pferox, there were some things.  I noticed that my brand new Minn Kota Traxxis 70 has a vibration that I am not happy with.  I do have a spare prop and will change that out.  If the vibration is still there I will be contacting MK.  Also, I think I have the TM pedal pan too close to the front seat.  Not going to worry about it today but will probably move it forward about three inches or so.  Presently I have my leg bent back under the seat and that gets uncomfortable after awhile.  I believe this will also help when standing.  BTW, it is great to not feel like Captain Morgan and actually have a better sense of balance with it.  Other than that, I am totally satisfied with it.

Kris

My Bass Club took advantage of Piney Run having a late fishing night for a tournament.  Four boats in the water at 5PM.  I had told my co-angler that I didn't think that fishing would be great because we were on the backside of a cold front here.  It actually got chilly enough for me to put on a light jacket I had brought. 
Fishing was not spectacular.  Two guys caught two with the largest 18.5 inches.  Three caught one each and the remainder didn't.  The whole club was prepared for a top water bite because the lake is really grassed in.  That didn't occur from what I heard.  I did try my Zara Spook and some other things but nothing on top water.  I thought our best bet would be to work the cuts and drop offs on the main lake during daylight and concentrate on points after the sun started going down.  My plan didn't seem to work out this time.  Guess I should have done some punching but still haven't bought the stuff for that yet.  I did catch one on a TR worm, 14.5, just before dark in front of an old beaver hut.  Beaver even came out while we were there. Tournament ended at 10PM.
The boat did great and it's really comfortable for two people to fish out of.  I had my co-angler operate the stern motor.  Interesting thing to me was the bow mount, MK Edge 55, 12v, GPS speed showed 1.27 mph at steady cruise on power level three.  This is the first time I have had GPS to see that.  NO water in the hull a second time.  I am really happy with this boat.

LgMouthGambler

That boat came out great! Well done sir!  ~c~
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Kris

Thanks LMG.  Gotta finish this one and get started on the Ranger.

Oldfart9999

Lot of work that's paying off now!! ~c~
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Kris

Absolutely Rodney.  Some filling holes from accessories that have been installed during her lifetime, some sanding, painting and she will look good.  I also have to add some cleats or some way to tie the boat off at the dock. I like the ones that zig zag through a maze to hold the boat at any point.  I do have some fishing rod racks to install that will hold four rods on each side.  I need to make some brackets to mount them to but they will fit nicely.
Batteries have been charging all afternoon at a low rate and I got asked if I could come into work for a couple of hours.  I still want to cycle them a couple more times since they have been sitting for almost a year.  I think I might start working on putting one more Trojan SCS battery in the boat or maybe start switching over to AGMs.  I am sure the Ranger is going AGM batteries.

Kris

I have gotten some more paint and other little things done.  Got to get more paint this week to finish the port side, gunwales and the rest of bow deck.  I have to remove the fishing rod holders I reinstalled.  I need to finish the first coat of oil base enamel on the gunwales and then figure where to add the sand paint to create safe walking areas.  Front deck will have sand on almost the whole surface.  The gunwales will get sand from the edge of the interior to the weld line behind the rub rails.  Floor will get painted with sand leaving a half inch or so space from the seat pedestals, TM pedal pan all the way to the aluminum strip.  From the aluminum strip back to the stern will also get sand except for around the pedestal.
Still undecided if I am going to stay with this paint, Magic Paint Co. Red from TSC.  I think this paint is too thick to start with.  Says it is a gloss but is more like a satin finish.  I had seen a review by someone who had said that it was not a gloss finish which I thought might be the best since it might cut down on reflection.  I might just sand this paint with some 320 grit and use one of the other "agricultural colors" they have for farm equipment.  They have lots of reds to choose from.  I used Ford Industrial Gray and Blue on the Grumman which turned out great.
I also have to finish painting the PVC bow guides to those CE Smith lights.  I am also covering the area around the tail light bracket with black bunk carpet.  This will keep the bracket from scratching the boat.
More work, more pictures.

Kris

As I stated in my last reply, I got some other things taken care of last week.  Here is a pic of the straps now installed on the battery boxes.  Since the lids are interference fit it is a little safety item for the motorists behind me.

I also installed a new Fraybill fish ruler on the starboard side.  It measures to 19 inches and then extends to measure up to 36 inches.  Never know when that 36 inch largemouth will bite your hook. Haha.

Besides needing the ruler in the boat for an evening tournament with the Club but had to get my numbers put on.  Since I still hadn't finished painting the entire boat I opted to mount them to 3/8 Starboard and mount them.  Here is a pic of that.

I am off today and tomorrow so I got some stuff done that I have wanted to have done already.  I had purchased two sets of "Rod Sitters" to put in the boat for myself and a co-angler.  I got the left one installed.

I used some sheet metal to make the mountings for them and will make some heavier stuff later.  This gives me a chance to see how it works before really committing to this mounting.  I also made a set for the starboard side but forgot to allow the difference in height of the rear deck.  I made some adjustment but still needed another inch or so to make it right.  Like I said, these are mock ups anyway.

I can fit my longest rod, 7' 6" Ardent on either side.  I think the co-angler will find this a really nice option for him.
As I said, I had to move the fish ruler because of the starboard side mounting.  It is now up against the step from rear deck to front. 

Mostly sanding and painting from this point on.  I am going to try and go fishing tomorrow so that will probably start on Sunday.
More work, more pics.

Lipripper

Looks great kris and have a good day fishing.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

West6550

evansjoem

Who in their right mind thinks that is tig welded.  I hope you didn't pay too much for those boogered up aluminum mig welds.  Fill it with water and make sure it doesn't leak. Lots of starting and stopping of welds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kris

Had it out several times last year with a COMPLETELY dry hull there evansjoem.  Looks fine to me for cost of the aluminum and not leaking.  Hope you read the whole life of this hull to understand how nice it is now.

Mike Cork

Quote from: evansjoem on February 11, 2017, 12:31:02 PM
Who in their right mind thinks that is tig welded.  I hope you didn't pay too much for those boogered up aluminum mig welds.  Fill it with water and make sure it doesn't leak. Lots of starting and stopping of welds

I couldn't tell you the difference between a tig wig mig or gig weld. But I sure wouldn't appreciate someone jumping in my thread to call me a dumbass because I didn't know. You could have help out with what I assume is a professional opinion much nicer.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

evansjoem

I was just commenting on the welds only.  Your boat looks great.

evansjoem

Yes I was just hoping you didn't pay for tig welds cause hourly wage is more than if it was mig welded. I was hoping the place that welded it didn't rape you in hourly wage cause mig welding is fast and easy

fishandkamp

evansjoem  It would help if you actually read a little before you opened up your tail end. If you actually read the entire thread you would know he paid for the metal to do some repairs on the hull of a boat that was given to him. The actual welding was done by his brother in law at no cost. The entire boat suffered much damage from the idiot previous owner who made a floor with pressure treated wood. The chemicals did some damage. My friend Kris spent an entire season painstakingly repairing around just about every rivet and then sealed the entire bottom. The boat's floor plan was very well thought out and the interior floor understructure, flooring, storage boxes, electrical and new seats and bases were done specifically so that the members of his club can safely fish off this craft. He belongs to a group of fisherman he used to fish with 30 plus years ago when they were much more agile.  As we old farts have to come to grips with the realities of getting older, we realize sometimes we are better off fishing quiet electric only reservoirs sitting INSIDE a boat, then roaring down rough water in a glitter rocket. Their club now fishes electric only reservoirs and lakes. Here in MD we have lots of them and they are amazing bodies of water with huge bass, hybrid stripers and lots of delicious fresh water white perch and crappie.  I have helped a tiny bit with that boat. It was an amazing transformation that I witnessed,  Congrats Kris . Now a little more paint and a few more details and she will be ready for the complete season.

evansjoem

The boat does look good